SUV - what would you choose...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by supercharged, Mar 26, 2009.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I'm just sitting here, daydreaming... Considering the bills that I have on credit cards it will be a while before I'll consider another car purchase...

Anyway, back to the point...What would you choose if you were purchasing an SUV? I would never purchase it brand new, as I have 50% derpreciation in 3 years...I'd purchase one from Bay Area or from L.A. as you can get 2 years used with under 25-30 k miles for half on what it costs brand new. I have a few in mind, keep in mind that I never owned an SUV, just rented...
    BMW X5 (07 and up)
    Mercedes Benz ML 500/550(06 and up)
    Audi Q7
    Lexus LX470
    Porsche Cayenne (really want this one, it looks awesome in black!!!)
    possibly Mercedes G-wagon...
    possibly Infiniti FX50.

That would probably be it. I'll listen to all opinions, but it doesn't mean I'll consider other makes...I simply don't wanna buy anything that has hard time lasting 'till 100k miles, having very hard time selling it...

Let's see your opinions...

2. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

BMW X5: would be my first choice. I like them. Find the interior extremely easy to clean. lol
    Mercedes Benz ML 500/550: Look nice. I know nothing about them.
    Audi Q7: looks too weird for me.
    Lexus LX470: Too Ugly. I know they are made by Toyota, but they shouldn't look like them
    Porsche Cayenne: Fast as hell
    Mercedes G-Wagon: Expensive.
    Infiniti FX50: would be my second choice.

3. GearShifter

GearShifter Virgin Detailer

Considering that purchasing new isn't an option, the FX50 wouldn't be a candidate because it was just released a few months ago. I've seen the vehicle. A few comments, the interior is beautiful, Japanese inspired styling. The leather seats have cross hatched stitching, very detailed. With 390 or so horsepower, it's a monster!!!

4. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Noting that I am not at all a fan of SUVs...

I like the X5, but liked it more before the redesign in 07', my dad has an 02' and the thing is a tank (in a good way), still rock solid with over 70k miles it has been very reliable for him.

The MILF500, I mean ML500 are totally women's cars, I rarely see a man driving one around here. Aside from that, they *are* good looking and have the typical awesome Benz interior.

I've riden in a Q7, the smaller engine was waaayyyy too loud and really mismatched for the car, the bigger one is probably the way to go. The interior is awesome though, I kinda like the exterior too.

Lexus LX470, meh, I'm sure it has a bunch of awesome features but the price is sky high and you can definitely tell it is a Toyota.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Cayenne, I won't comment here.

The G-Wagon is waayyy too ghetto.

The Infiniti FX is cool looking, but you feel like you are in a cave in the interior, and the exterior styling isn't for everyone.

If I were to buy a luxury SUV, it would probably be an 02'-06' Escalade, that is pretty much the car (okay, SUV) that really got me *into* cars.

Just my $0.02.

5. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

what about a range

6. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Horrible reliability, plus for *me* the seats are not very comfortable. They are big on the outside, but aside from having a ton of headroom, legroom, etc., the inside isn't all that big.

7. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Range Rovers are the only SUV in my opinion, no I don't mean the sport. X5s are great, but they try to be a car when they are a truck (sorry if that doesn't make sense haha).

The reason you don't like the seats is because you probably haven't tried the luxury package seats, or the supercharged seats. I agree, the regular seats suck.

8. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

I love range rovers the feel bigger than they are because the hood is flat. Im downsizing from my car and getting a sport.

9. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Yes they are great there is nothing like a Rover.

10. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Why not the Lexus RX330? I have one and its been pretty solid so far :)

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

1. Merc ML63
    2. Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    3. VW Toureg TDi

12. blas

blas Birth of a Detailer

Bmw x5!

13. supercharged

I like LX47. Its not the most beautiful SUV, but it's loaded with options...
    I agree on everything else.
    I've seen it, it's agressive!

Milf 500, huh???:applause2: It's not that bad, but yes, I'll take X5 over it. I love that Joystick!

Rubbish. Very poor reliability, will affect resale value...

agree.

I'll take Land Cruiser any day over Land Rover. I don't want poor reliability vehicles...NO WAY!

I once considered LR3, but then changed my mind after reading more about their reliability.

it's leather interior will outlast the vehicle...

I like it, but wanted something a little bigger...

I really like and want that Cayenne Turbo S!!! But the price tag is quite high...VW Touareg TDI would be the only Touared I'd get. But unfortunately they are banned in California...
    ML 63 AMG, hmmmm....maybe, I'll think about it...

I am really leaning towards X5...that's what my wife wants me to get anyway...

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I really like and want that Cayenne Turbo S!!! But the price tag is quite high...VW Touareg TDI would be the only Touared I'd get. But unfortunately they are banned in California...
    ML 63 AMG, hmmmm....maybe, I'll think about it...

I wasn't a big Merc SUV fan until I got to work on the ML63. It rocks. TDi's are banned in California?

15. OC MBZ

OC MBZ Virgin Detailer

I'll take a stab at this one considering I've driven and had experience in most of them working in the car busienss...

BMW X5...Like this one, but the iDrive system is extremely clumsy. It's gotten better, but still not nice.

Mercedes Benz ML 500/550...Call me bias, but I worked for MB and love ALL of their vehicles. I drive an ML (yes, I'm male. No homo) and it's fantastic. Comfortable, handles VERY well for an SUV and mileage isn't terrible (19mpg average). MY VOTE

Audi Q7...This one has grown on me considerably and I would even consider driving one myself. VW did a great job with the styling and I might even prefer this over VWs other one here, the Cayenne.

Lexus LX470...Lexus is a just a litte too plain for me. The styling has gotten better on the latest models, but still not super. The electronics are very nice, however.

Porsche Cayenne...My girl wants this really bad and I like them, but their reliability and driving comfort is suspect. The new GTS is stylish and aggressive.

Mercedes G-wagon...Another fantastic vehicle. One of the most capable 4x4s out there w/ 3 separate differentials and certainly the most capable of this bunch. Truck-like ride and miserable mileage are the downsides, but I'd still have one for myself. LOVE THEM

Infiniti FX50...This is a nice SUV. Good power and nice appointments inside. The exhaust note is very Japanese, but still kinda throaty. Fun to drive.

Range Rovers are definitely a great option as well, either one, the full size or the sport and the ML63 is just a rocketship for an SUV. Again, I might be bias, but the ML63 would be my vote out of this entire batch, but at $95k fully optioned, it's not for everyone.

Happy Driving :thumb:

16. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I think people criticize iDrive without ever really getting used to it... I don't know anyone who has it and doesn't like it, including old people that can barely send an email.

17. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Supercharged... there is more to a car than reliability. If it mattered that much, everyone would be driving Hondas. People who drive rovers have other cars and don't mind if it spends some time in the shop. Plus there is a survey that 67% of '06+ rover owners don't experience any issues whatsoever (i'll look it up if you want haha).

18. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Find me an SUV that drives better than a Rover, is more luxurious than a Rover, has a better driving position and looks better. A Land Cruiser is a joke next to a Rover, I think you are just comparing them because of the similar names (which Toyota ripped off obviously).

19. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

jeep grand cherokee srt8 would be my first choice, followed by an x5

20. supercharged

I will have to agree with you on AMG, it's a totally different animal.
    TDI Touareg is banned in California, and some other states...

that's quite some info. Thanks

true that...as long as it doesn't feel like brushing your teeth through the a$$hole, I'm ok with that...

true, and I seriously considered LR3 before...but again, they scare me a bit...
    and speaking of Honda, I've taked my Acura (05 RL) to the dealer 8 times in 4 years of ownership for different issues...

Maybe...sounds like you are a big fan of them though...

No offense, but I will not buy a Jeep...They are ugly, and I simply don't like them period.