Surf City Garage Black Max VRT Review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Reflect, May 10, 2010.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

****Update: Due to the crazy rain we had in the NE last week, the trim dressing has basically ran its course after 2 weeks. I'm decently impressed with it and didn't expect it to last longer than Black Wow. Things to take into consideration are- that trim hasn't been dressed in probably 6 years or longer, the rain has been pretty intense, it was one coat. Strangely enough, after I gave the truck a bath today, I still noticed slight beading on the trim dressing (not as good as before but definitely noticeable).

Overall it is hard to say how long this will last on well maintained trim, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think close to a month, given the circumstances in which I tried it.

Hey guys, so this is the first review of many that I'll be doing on the Surf City Garage line. I was dying to try out Black Max VRT, and decided to use it on the Red Dragon. (aka my Philly beater/war wagon)

Here's a picture of the bottle and the Uber Blue notched applicator I used to apply it.
    [​IMG]

Product is a nice light blue cream. Spreads pretty easily.
    [​IMG]

Here's the trim I tested it on, pretty dry and a bit blotchy. Ran out of painter's tape, and considering it was just the Red Dragon, it would do fine.
    [​IMG]

Product applied 50/50 WITH flash
    [​IMG]

Product applied 50/50 WITHOUT flash
    [​IMG]

Some beading pictures
    [​IMG]

A bit clearer picture
    [​IMG]

So far I like this stuff a lot. It is not greasy at all like Black Wow is yet still seems to spread quite nicely. I used more than I usually would with Black Wow, but again this stuff buffs off really dry and not greasy (anyone who has used BW knows how much of a pain it is if you miss). It gave a pretty nice satin sheen, closer to matte but definitely not shiney. Beading looks pretty nice. I have no idea about the durability yet nor the price as it's a brand new product.

Note: The left side of the tape line has a bit of over-wipe from the applicator, naturally it doesn't bead at all as you can see farther left.

EugeneOr likes this.
  2. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Damn bro, that's pretty nice, I've been looking for something instead of Black WOW. How slippery is it, like can you use it on stuff like plastic sidesteps? BTW sorry I wasn't texting back much today, that new shit caught my attention but I was driving all day.

3. Reflect

No problemo. As far as "slickness" goes, its barely more slippery than not dressing it. It really does come off pretty dry. That plastic isn't as grippy as the kind you'd see on step rails, but I'd feel safe using it on them as of now.

4. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Are you going to test for durability, looking forward to that

5. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

how is this compare to 303 protec? the look?

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks for the review Kyle ... I've been thinking about picking the Duragloss equivalent, but I haven't heard a lot about it. Do you happen to know if Pep Boys is going to start carrying this product?

btw ... how's the car search going?

7. Reflect

Yeah, I generally don't wash the truck so we'll see how it holds up with the grime and after I give it a wash. I'm shooting for 4 weeks or so as people on Autopia want that.

I haven't put 303 on this type of trim, but I think they're both a pretty matte finish.

8. Reflect

No cars yet. I was going to get that modded '04, but living in NJ and insurance with a modded car is :yikes:. They carry the rest of the line, or at least a majority of it, so there's a good chance. If not, I think a couple other stores like Autozone and the like might carry it. This product is brand new so I'm not sure if it's going around yet.

9. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I bought the Duragloss 253 and 303 protec, have to see how it is on trim and tyre.
    where did you buy that?

10. Jav.STi

Jav.STi Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks for the review, looking forward for durability.

11. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Great review, Kyle. I can't find the product on the SCG website. Anywhere I can get more info and pricing and stuff? Thanks!

12. Reflect

It's not out yet, or it is in very limited places. I got it straight through their customer service. They may be able to direct you to a place to get it, or tell you of a release date.

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

how is it compared to black wow? Im looking for something to treat like very very dry trim with that just wont soak up and not do anything.

14. Reflect

I really couldn't tell you until I get to something really bad. It worked well on that bumper though, and that was basically gray.

15. mdun6

mdun6 DB Forum Supporter

I'm looking fo a replacement for black WOW. On my 2008 Mustang after every wash the mirrors look aweful.

16. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Looks to be water based. Looks good though. So far the best non solvent based dressing ive tried is megs ultimate protectant. Tried it yet? Comparison?

17. Reflect

Haven't tried it yet.

18. Audi2.7t

Audi2.7t Two Bucket System Washer

Nice review. Been looking into trying some new trim products and might just have to try this one out. Looks promising!

19. Reflect

Guys, I just got word from CS that you can call their line and they will direct you to a local retailer for this product.

"Just let them know they can call us, 866 970 7873 and we can direct them to a local retailer."

20. Reflect

Bump for update, see first post.