Surf City Dash Away advice

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Emile, May 16, 2010.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Hi Guys,

Just finished cleaning the interior of my father's car with Surf City Garage Dash Away...it was my first time using it and I really liked it but it left all the chrome bits, wood trim, and cleear plastic looking hazy so I followed all that up with Optimum Car Wax and then they looked great again.

I was only using one microfiber towel and a small brush as I normally would with 1Z Cockpit Premium, but the 1Z CP never leaves my clear plastic or chrome hazy like this. Is this because the product really needs to be wiped dry with a separate towel on these surfaces? Had no issues witih carpets, leather, door panels, and rubber door seals.

Any advice is appreciated. Btw, the Surf City website and the bottle say nothing about the product actually protecting the interior surfaces it can clean and didn't LOOK like it left anything behind.

Thanks,
    Emile

2. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Emile ... thanks for the info.

I also used Dash Away for the first time and I also noticed a slight haze on the interior clear plastics and wood trim. I used CG's Clear Seal for the clear plastics and they turned out great.

3. Emile

I did the Honda the other night with this product and it's pretty decent. I like how I can do the dash and the door panels and stuff, and then go straight to the leather seats, the carpets, etc. without having to switch bottles and towels (obviously saving the carpets for last). It seems to clean decently well, and according to a rep I contacted, "it provides long-lasting protection against UVA/UVB rays."

I figured out that the way to avoid the streaking on sensitive surfaces is to clean as normally, but then to take a secondary, clean, dry microfiber towel and just wipe away any residues/haze before it dries up.

Still, I think it's time to purchase the 10L container of 1Z CP from Phil. CP has most of the versatility of Dash Away with no streaking issues and a great-looking finish. Once I'm out of the bottle of Dash Away, I won't be buying it again.

4. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for the heads up you two, I was about to stop by Pep Boys and get a bottle of this to try. I guess with the money saved I can get a happy meal now, YAY!

5. Emile

All in a day's work. You enjoy that Happy Meal....you've earned it.

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I wouldn't not try it if I wereyou, it really is a GREAT and VERY versatile product...

7. evolutionwc3

evolutionwc3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I agree. It's a g reat product. I think it has more cleaning ability than Meg's QID, but I often have to follow up with a dry MF as well. Glad I'm not the only one..........

8. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I like it a lot for what it is. I used it on leather and vinyl the other day with good results. I'm doing another writeup as the leather I used it on was destroyed (scuffs, rips) and I want a better candidate for my writeups. I felt like it left something behind.

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Yeah, I'm digging this stuff. As has already been mentioned above, I like that I can use the same product on every interior surface - vinyl, plastic, leather, etc. It smells good, too. If I want something more specific, like a leather conditioner, I can always do that afterwards.

This might be my replacement for 1Z CP. CP is wonderful stuff, but it's a little less versatile, and I have to pay shipping to get it. Dash Away can be bought 5 miles down the road.

10. GDAL

GDAL Guest

The product is not a bad product, but I'm not a fan of going over a surface a second time to clean haze. The haze only happens on clear plastic surfaces. Just givin' my 2 cents for what it's worth. Any advice on reducing the chance of hazing clear plastics?