Surf City Beyond Steel vs. Amazing Roll Off Battle

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

**I did this review on another board in Sept 07 and decided to add it here as well, I am still using SC BS as my go to cleaner***

I have been wanting to do this head to head comparison from the very 1st time I tried the Beyond Steel. My wheels don’t get dirty enough to really do a head to head comparison and doing something like this while on a customer car doesn’t even enter my mind..

Well due to some really heavy dusting ceramic pads I just put on (they will be coming off real soon) my wheels were dirty enough to justify a head to head death match.

FYI: I know my rims are in rough shape - I purchased this car used and the rims were already hit with road rash and just tore up- new shoes to come once the snow melts away for the season!!

Process:​

Spray with respective cleaner

Gently agitate

PW Rinse

Wipe with MF​

I was very carefull to make this a true "apples to apples" comparison SO both wheels were front wheels. I also used the same amount of brush strokes per spoke/hole with the same angle.

Main delta would be that ARO requires the surface to be sprayed with water, this step WAS THE ONLY difference. I added this step to the ARO wheel in order to comply with the mfg suggested usage.

After I pressure rinsed I wanted to do a mf wipe down to show what was left on the rim and ultimately was wiped off

Tools:
    [​IMG]

ARO Wheel:
    Pre Cleanse:
    [​IMG]
    After Sprayed On:
    [​IMG]
    After Agitation and PW Rinse:
    [​IMG]
    SC Wheel:
    Pre Cleanse:
    [​IMG]
    After Sprayed On:
    [​IMG]
    After Agitation and PW Rinse:
    [​IMG]

MF’s Prior to Wipe Down:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MF Afters – Yellow MF was used on Surf City Wheel, Pink MF was used on Amazing Roll Off Wheel:
    [​IMG]

2. richy

richy Guest

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Based on the shape of the mf's after, did you conclude that the sc was the better performer? I need a stronger wheel cleaner that the ARO and 303 that I have. I posted about it a few weeks ago. I think I am going to try the CG acid, but it would only be for the bad ones. Appreciate your work here.:worship:

3. Dontsleeponit

Dontsleeponit Jedi Nuba

good work motorcity, I remember this review now, Surf City is at the top of my list for wheel cleaners to try. Right now I have ARO, Duragloss Ultimate Orange, DP Wheel Gel, S100 total cycle, and some old wheel acid. My wheels stay cleeeeeaaaannn.

btw you have PM

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Great review, thanks for posting! I had a bottle of Surf City in my cart, but took it out...

5. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Good review, I have both products but never used ARO on my wheels on on the tires. Surf city is a great wheel cleaner which when I run out will definitely replace.

Thanks for posting

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

It's very good stuff and my go to cleaner.

7. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

I need to get me some of this stuff :D

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Glad you guys found it beneficial.

I like SC beyond steel because:

a) it is strong enough for the wheels I see. Now there is always an exception here but all of the wheels I have used this on were taken care of by this stuff

b)It is safe for all wheels... this is big for me! All wheels means I have one product, for me that is big....

Smith2287 and other ARO users: If my memory serves me correctly ARO says to spray the material to be cleaned with water 1st as this is what activates the product... But then again calls for dilution ratios for different usage. I have found that after diluting it if I dont use the mixture within lets say 8 days it would loose it's cleaning properties would degrade...

I like to mix my stuff ahead and have plenty of it so ARO was weak in that area as well.

Don't get me wrong I love ARO and used 2 gallons of it BUT I have since moved to the beyond steel.

BUT I am always searching for something new and more cost effective but not at the cost of anything less than stellar!!!!