Supernatural V2 Review

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by pektel, Mar 16, 2009.

1. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Product: Dodo Juice Supernatural
    Purchased from: Justin at obsessivedetail.com

[​IMG]

Initial thoughts upon receipt were a litte surprising. The 200 mL pot is considerably smaller than I had expected. Nonetheless, excellent labeling design. I wish Dom would turn the SN logo into a tshirt! After opening, I noticed there was virtually no scent. Which is fine with me, as long as the performance is there.

Another surprising feature is the classification by Dodo Juice as a soft wax. For some reason I had always assumed this was a hard wax. Nonetheless, I was still impressed by the overall presentation.

Application:

I used a red euro CCS foam applicator to apply SN. Granted it was cold outside (about 40-45 degrees F) so I found it a little more difficult to spread. A quick spritz of water on the applicator remedied this though. After dampening the applicator pad, application was very smooth. The layer I applied was barely visible.

This is what the pot looked like after I was finished with 2 coats on the hood, one coat on the rest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removal:

I waited about 10 minutes before starting to remove.

I simply buffed the residue off with a Shag Rag (www.theragshack.com). Removal was effortless. It was easier to remove than any other paste wax I have applied.

I waited until the next morning to spritz with qd (Optimum Instant Detailer) to remove any residue that I may have missed.

Results:

Have you ever sat on the lakeshore on a still day, where you can see a wet reflection in the water's surface of the surrounding forest? That's about the most correct way to describe the look it gives. Wet? Check. Sharp? Check. Depth? check. I would love to see it on my vehicle after correction. I can imagine the results are even more stunning on a corrected vehicle.

Here's a couple shots of my car. The trunk is corrected, the hood is not. Pictures aren't the greatest, as I have virtually no experience being a photographer. So they don't do it any justice, but here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final thoughts:

Superb wax, excellent price for the product. My only regret is not buying the wooden pot, although I love the looks of the plastic pot I have. Maybe I should buy the wooden pot in addition!

Thanks for looking!

2. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Lookin good. I had an LS once.

3. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

interesting about your comment on the softness. I too would have thought that it would be a hard wax. They should bring out superrockhardnatural :giggle:

4. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Nice review, always like seeing pictures of new products.

Ya i tend to like hard waxes myself, I feel you use much less.

5. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Great review, Thanks...:thumb:

6. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Supernatural V2 has been on my top list for a while... love that stuff. I found it strange also that they classify it as a soft wax because mine's hard as hell. Also, being that it spreads so thinly, I've found that applying it with a wet applicator, especially on lighter colored cars, can be a bit deceiving. It looks like you're applying wax, but it's just haze from the water... and it's even trickier doing it in cold weather while it's wet because the water evaporates slower. Best way to apply is get a little friction heat going when applying it to the applicator and use that as a "primer". After it's been primed it's easier to apply. And don't worry about applying too much; it's almost impossible!

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Thanks for the review!

8. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Actually SN is very soft when you compare it to the likes of RBOE and some of the other top SV waxes. RBOE, Mystery, and Divine are probably THE HARDEST waxes to date.

9. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

huh? Do you have Rubbish boys original? I've got a pot here in my hands and you can make a valley thru it with your finger. I've also got the 30 ml size of SN and you can not do that, no matter how hard you try.

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Does this wax brighten or darken the paint? Is it better on dark or light colored cars? I like a nice warm glow myself.

11. Obsessive Detail

Obsessive Detail Pro Detailer - Lifetime Member

12. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Yup I have tried them all. I cant even make an indentation in RBOE, but can with SN. SN is a bit more gritty, kinda like Concorso and RBOE is more smooth. Do you have the dodo juice version of the rubbish boys wax? If not thats weird how you experience the exact opposite.

13. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

There is a "soft layer" and a "hole" in the middle of OE for testing purposes for Ben trust me the stuff underneath it is a rock literally.

At first I thought I had a defective batch as well but it is all good now.

OP great review! Now I need someone to try it on a dark car. I have heard before that V2 looks great on light colors.

14. Cyclo

Cyclo Birth of a Detailer

Really? I never had that soft hole. Bottom of my glass jar says 36 22/08/08

Well something is completely wrong here. But I'm not going to argue it. SN gritty? I think you'd get a completely different answer if Ben or Dom would pop in to talk about this. I have Rubbish boy original as stated.

15. pektel

RBOE is very gritty. And HARD AS A ROCK. Except for that spot in the middle as stated previously.

What I do with RBOE is take a teaspoon and scrape thin layers off of it.About an ounce worth at a time. Then I redistribute it, and pack it down lightly over the entire surface of the pot. Now I have a 1/4" - 1/2" of that softer wax (like the center spot in the new pot) to use.

Thanks for complimenting my first review! I'm hoping to use the Migliore Frutta and get a review up soon.

16. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I swear you don't have a job anymore.

17. HomeChicken

HomeChicken Two Bucket System Washer

Great review! Thanks for taking the time!

18. pektel

Of course I do... how do you think I pay for all this wax? :D

19. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Yeah guys I have a pretty big "hole" in my OE and a lot of "soft" OE came out of it that I just put on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Dom

Dom Two Bucket System Washer

The conflicting reports of SN being soft/hard smooth/gritty is simply because Supernatural has gone through at least four formulations since launch. The first recipe was a HARD wax. The second recipe was a SOFT wax, but some carnauba recrystallisation caused superficial grainyness (or grittyness). The third recipe was a little smoother, but not perfect. And the fourth version, known as SNv2 (or Snv2.02 to DW uber geeks!) is what we sell now, and have been selling for many, many months (from about one month after launch back in mid-08). This is SOFT and SMOOTH.

What is nice is that the reviews of SNv2 have been consistently good, almost to the point where we don't want to risk changing the recipe again. But who knows... maybe we'll do a v3 one day? That said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.