Suggest alternatives to P21S Total Auto Wash

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by washerwaxer, Sep 11, 2010.

1. washerwaxer

washerwaxer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I know great detailers like Phil at DD and Paul Dalton use P21S TAW. It is a great degreaser because it is an effective cleaner and is safe to use. But, it is expensive at $69.99 for 5L and diluting is not recommended. There are many degreasers out there but many are harsh and could be dangerous which is why I chose the safety of P21S.

I am running out of my current 5L jug of TAW and would like to replace it with something more economical.

The two most important criteria for me are that it be safe on all surfaces like P21S and that it is a very good cleaner.

I look forward to your suggestions, thanks.

2. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Zep Citrus ... and it's sold at Home Depot.

3. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Zep Purple is awesome!

4. washerwaxer

washerwaxer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have read several posts where people mentioned that the label on ZEP citrus states it should not be used on paint.

There are many effective degreasers like Purple Power etc, but I don't know of any besides TAW that are unequivocally safe like TAW.

5. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Zep Citrus is safe on paint ... as long as you don't spray it straight out of the bottle and leave it sitting in the sun for hours, you should be fine ... like any other APC, please exercise common sense. Another equivalent that is a little bit more expensive, but good, is Optimum Power Clean.

To be honest with you, I like Zep Citrus better than Power Clean. Power Clean tends to dry up a little bit faster on paint and it can also dry your skin after being exposed to it during a wash.

6. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

I'm not sure what the pH value of P21S TAW is, but it's obviously not pH neutral if it can make "dirt, grime, wax build-up, and diesel soot vanish". "There is nothing harsh or abrasive within this formula." Well I wouldn't expect there to be any abrasives in it :). Just about any APC on the market will do the same thing that TAW will do and when diluted properly, it's also "safe" for your paintwork. If foaming doesn't remove all the surface gunk on the car, I use a 1:4 dilution of APC to degrease the car and PW it off after a couple of minutes. If you don't agitate it, it won't strip your wax either (depending on the wax). If you want to strip the wax, wash it with a mitt.

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I usually add an ounce of Zep Citrus or Power Clean to 5 gallon bucket with CWC/CWG for LSP removal.

Clever Nickname is correct about agitating ... 845 usually needs a couple of APC treatments to remove it.

8. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Cheers mate :). I actually had a hell of a time stripping 845 from my truck before we wrapped it in matte black... I think it took about 4+ APC scrubbings! The mighty 845...

9. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

Next time, don't bother with the APC, just give it a quick wipe with silicone remover.

I think Optimums Power Clean is labelled as 'paint safe' and you can dilute it as needed.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

10. swest0223

swest0223 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

P21S TAW is by far the best money can buy, so I still keep some on hand if I have something special roll in for a detail. Other than that, I use Meg's APC or Adam's APC. Both are really good, but I think that the Meg's APC is the closest, more affordable alternative to TAW. It can be diluted, but I typically use full strength.

As for Adam's APC, I use it to spot clean, and I don't use it full strength on the body, but I will use it as a snow foam on a really dirty car before carrying out my normal wash procedure.

Here's some shots from a recent detail I did feat. Adams's products. This is what Adam's APC looks like as a snow foam:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I use Majestic Solutions super green stuff at 3:1 with an oz of super foam in it now. It's paint safe, and it's one of the most cost effective APCs I've come across.

It smells god awful though.

12. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

im keen to buy P21S TAW to remove LSPs before correcting/paint cleaning

how would i use it though? can i put it in my foam gun and let dwell? it wont strip rubbers?

i have been using CG Orange Degreaser mixed 1:5 on guard liners as a pre soak while i wash the wheels and it works well, but i just think itd be too harsh for paint/rubbers

13. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i love taw i use it all the time for everything. paint engine wheel wells ect. i allways use it straight. its safe on paint. thats what i like about it never had issues but it is pricey. probably wouldnt use it if i detailed for profit.. but i just use it on one truck

14. swest0223

swest0223 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I detail for steak and lobster aparently... so I use the best stuff because I care, not because I'll make it back!

15. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I use a mixture of CG CWC and CG Strong Wash (bug & Tar). 3 oz of CWC and 1 of Strong Wash in 2 gallons of water.

16. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

you are going to hate me all :) Nothing beats DAWN dishwashing soap to remove LSP!

I'm with GDAL, ZEP citrus is awesome.

17. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Optimum Power Clean diluted 3:1.

18. PDJ3.2

PDJ3.2 Birth of a Detailer

I've had great experience with HD Total. It works great on tires and wheels and you can use it on interiors too. Plus it's eco-friendly and you don't even have to wear gloves while using it.

19. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

domino, P21S TAW is not gonna work for you like that. Many detailers on this forum have good success using P21S TAW to strip their customers' LSP, mostly because there is little or no LSP left on the surface.

For personal use, P21S TAW will only serve as a nice touch-less bug remover and even at full strength does not have the power to strip wax unless you spray, dwell, and then work it in with a sponge.

20. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Word. Since I don't have a foam gun, I have a bottle of optimum power clean at 3:1, and about 3 oz of meg's gold class shampoo to thicken it up, and so it has some cling to it. I just spray each panel before washing. Works awesome for me.