Street Dreams Detail San Diego - Jet Black Ferrari California and 458 Italia

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Feb 3, 2014.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Two jet black Ferraris came into my shop for complete details and paint correction a few weeks back. There are a few hundred pictures to sort through between the two cars details so I have to break this writeup into two parts. This is the first part which features the California.

On with it!

Both cars had less than a couple thousand miles on them. Taking into account Ferraris poor factory finishing, dealership prep and then a few attempts at detailing prior to coming here the finishes had been through a lot. You don't have to take my word for it :thinking:

Prep started as usual with thorough pressure rinse car followed by sudsy foam bath with a foam cannon

[​IMG]

Sonax wheel cleaner safe for carbon fiber wheels and carbon fiber brakes

[​IMG]

Decontamination stage

[​IMG]

After claying drying and cleaning the finish I pulled the California outside to see not IF the finish was in rough shape but instead how bad it was.

Heavy overspray by the scuderia shield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some interesting holograms, I can't imagined how this happened

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear bumper also suffering from RIDS and holograms

[​IMG]

Yikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dominic and Christensen from CafeSPA came down from San Francisco to shoot a video for their website. Here they are setting up some shots for the video

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filming took a good bit of the day and I was able to put the finishing touches on the lighting setup in the shop to get it just how I wanted. Wall art came out awesome also!

Back to the detail here one of the few very LOW readings coming off the California, again more evidence the car was cut and polished by others before me. Tread carefully..

[​IMG]

Bad enough I'd say

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some 50/50 shots, heavy swirls and water etch on the doors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working through some of the haze on the door, 50/50 showing the grey

[​IMG]

LHR75 for tight corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roof pillars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After. Not chasing two RIDS on A pillar with less than 70 microns.. as far as compounding and polishing will take me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After, not quite there but after some light sanding and heavy compounding I was able to clean up the damage and level out. This side of 1200grit paper those scratches were not coming out. Again caution exercised here, thin paint on bumper

[​IMG]

This is probably my favorite 50/50 on the California

[​IMG]

Im sure much to peoples surprise a glass coating was NOT used on this car for final protection. Instead I opted for a traditional polymer sealant (Powerlock) which delivers easy to maintain durability and great slickness of feel to the paint.

These Ferraris will not be daily driven and I may not be able to see them for routine coating maintenance so avoiding that route seemed like the wisest option.

To say the final finish suffered at all from NOT using a coating would be a misstatement. We all detailed cars before coatings existed and were able to achieve great end result finishes with simple products. The goal beyond all of this of course is the countless hours of prep and polishing work that brings out the real brightness of these cars and their paint systems. Whatever you apply afterward should always be as I say "icing on the cake"

Beautiful sky outside the shop around 6pm, not ideal for after shots but it still damn beautiful to look at

[​IMG]

No longer being in New Jersey has its benefits, Southern California weather means more opportunity for after shots in sunlight. Next morning after finishing!

So here we go..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember that door with all the swirls and rids and haze..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in the shop for a final wipedown and some last shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight is ready to go. Thanks for checking out the writeup, part two with the 458 Italia will be posted shortly just check back on the thread!

Dave
    Street Dreams Detail
    9823 Pacific Heights blvd. Suite Q
    San Diego, 92121

Check out more street dreams stuff on instagram @streetdreamsdave

[​IMG]

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great job, thanks for sharing!

3. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Great work :)

4. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Great job Dave! Nothing wrong with Powerlock!

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Damn nice job David. Afters are fantastic!

6. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

good job Dave! don't what princess said about u, you still a prince.

7. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

nice Dave!

a lift would fit nicely into that shop. =D

8. Kai

Kai New Member

Really Nice Dave :)

9. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Awesome work Dave, that's a true showing of skill, caution, and knowledge. Oh the days of Powerlock. I still use the stuff regularly, so hard to beat the quality and price.

10. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

very nice work!

11. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

Nice correction man, everyone hates on the California but I loved working on them when I was still with Ferrari, had a customer with almost identical to yours right there. Thanks for sharing up!

12. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Excellent work once again.

13. .:RTime

.:RTime Any Rag Vehicle Washer

looks to good

14. broker99

broker99 Virgin Detailer

Great job

15. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Flawless. Stunning work as always. The shop looks great, too. All RaceDeck I assume?

16. zerix

zerix New Member

Looks stunning. Is that your 1M? If so you're a lucky man, I'm trying to keep my eye out for one that's not so overpriced, made the fatal mistake of not ordering one new :(.

17. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Flawless is good to hear, coming from you! Racedeck yep, shock tower with the rubber bottom inserts. Softer on the feet and less crackling noise when you walk.
    Yes it is. And yes it might have been. LOL if you see one fair priced snatch it up!

18. broker99

broker99 Virgin Detailer

great work as all ways.

19. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

Nice work someone hacked that thing up previous to you and they should be slain.