Street Dreams Detail - Maserati Gran Turismo MC Correction/22PLE/Detail

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Mar 10, 2013.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

2013 MC Sportline in for new car prep, full paint correction and coating. Simply put this is how brand a new sports cars should start life...

Pre-wash: the Mas was pressure rinsed and foamed with Hyperwash followed by a healthy dousing of Auto Finesse Iron Out which brought out a ton of contaminants and particles off the finish

[​IMG]

AF Iron Out after 7-8minutes of soaking, this was repeated once more after rinsing and then I proceeded with the wash process while Iron Out was still working

[​IMG]

Closeup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wash..

[​IMG]

Further pre the finish was clayed with Nanoskin autoscrub on the DA at speed 1, as always its a good idea to break in the Nanoskin pad on the glass first before using it on paint, ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with cold weather. Factory clearfilm on lower rockers was removed as well

[​IMG]

After all prep was finished I used an IPA/DI water mix to wipe the paint down 2x before taping up trim and inspecting the paint

As per usual Italian sportscar fashion the finish had a good bit of issues ranging from swirls, holograms, pigtailing and sanding marks. The correction was carried out using the Rupes 21 and various foam and microfiber pads as needed. Smaller parts were corrected with the Griots DA machine

Closeup under LED light.. poorly finished from the factory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the carbon fiber pieces on this car suffered the same poor finishing as the paint, I began correction on the carbon first

Mirror 50/50, you can see just how hazed and unclear the carbon comes brand new

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working the Rupes pads on the Griots works really well for certain spots

[​IMG]

Onto the hood lots of heavy defects here, couple 50/50s after correcting with FG400 Menzerna. Again the level of haze in a white car from the factory is really quite terrible, these finishes have some much potential after proper prep and polishing work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 on the door... nice buffer trail spanning the length of the bodyline :shakehead:

[​IMG]

More of the same on the rear bumper, lots of RIDS and pigtailing all over

[​IMG]

After all compounding work the car was finished with Sonax 3/6 fine polish on the Rupes with a white pad

Sunshot after IPA wipedown final polishing.. car is ready to be coated

[​IMG]

Since the paint was gettingg the 22PLE coating I also went with the 22PLE plastic and trim coating which so far has proven to be very easy to use

[​IMG]

50/50 on the window rubber trim before and after cleaning and treatment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some wax residue and polish from dealer prep properly cleaned and coated

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Exhaust tips polished as well, before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Wheels were sealed and tires treated for a dark matte finish, engine cleaned and wiped down with 303

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior leather was cleaned and coated (by owners request) with CQuartz Fabric and Leather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After curing for 1 full day in my heated garage 22PLE was looking mint, final shots

Hmm.. I saw the reflection of my car in the door, in the garage and I had a feeling this car was gonna POP in sunlight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready for pick up money shot..

[​IMG]

As always thanks for reading, will be working on getting out more writeups soon!

Regards,

Dave
    Street Dreams Detail

2. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Long time Dave, good to see you back. Nice work as usual.

3. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

awesome Dave!

4. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Amazing!!

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Stunning work, Dave! How do you like 22ple so far? Is application closer to Cquartz or Gtechniq (finicky)?

6. waynvision

waynvision Two Bucket System Washer

Really nice job! I'm curious about the 22ple trim restorer. How does it compare to CQuartz Dlux? I'm really liking how it looks on the window trim...

7. broker99

broker99 Virgin Detailer

great work. Hope to see more write ups as the weather starts to improve

8. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

absolutely stunning! Incredible job :thumb:

9. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Dave is the MAN!

10. pennylane23

pennylane23 Virgin Detailer

Great work! What did you use on the tires?

11. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

beautiful MC, great clean up. thanks for sharing!

12. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Wow! Great work!

13. .:RTime

.:RTime Any Rag Vehicle Washer

looks great! and the 22ple trim dressing looks real nice.

14. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

So far it seems to be one of the easier coatings I have applied. Just be sure to throw away your towels or applicator pad after use as they will harden. You can do the soak method but I'd be hesitatnt to reuse those on paint. I have not used Gtechniq or CQuartz coatings so I cant comment on them.

Have not used Dlux sorry

15. JakeB

JakeB Virgin Detailer

Nice work Dave! When are we going to get your tint up to spec on that 1M?
    Jake

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Thanks, Dave!

17. vegas911gts

vegas911gts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Nice job!

18. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

David,

First, good to see you posting. Great car and awesome detail. I love how you are able to capture a 50/50 on white paint.

Car looks great, I love how you get the tires so dark.

Looking forward to the next one.

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Thanks Jeff.. white 50/50s take time to capture but well worth it to show a difference!

20. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Another outstanding job Dave. It looks amazing.