Street Dreams Detail - Exotics Collection 350+pics

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Jul 31, 2011.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

This summer has been a bit hectic with detailing and finally I have time to share some of my recent work.

I rarely do mobile detailing anymore but I was glad to spend some time and do a bit of traveling to attend to this private collection in Connecticut.

The cars range from Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Spyker and a few others. There were a lot of cars done over a period of time so the process in which I went about cleaning, correcting and protecting them will be presented to you as I remember it best.

I do not have a lengthy header nor fancy title for this thread and I promise I will not post the "copy and pasted" technical specs of every car seen here. This is a thread simply about fine cars and detailing. This is what I love and these are the cars I love to work on, hope you enjoy the pictures!

I'll begin with the Spyker C8 (note the cars in the writeup are posted in random order not in the order of completion)

[​IMG]

After washing and prepping the car I began correction on all the aluminum metalwork. It took a good amount of time to sort out the best method of correction and even then it became a very tedious process.

Here is a 50/50 shot of the drivers side mirror housing. By the end of working on this car I had used various metal polishes including Blackfire heavy cut and fine cut, Swissvax metal polish and White Diamond, by hand, DA machine and rotary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working around the rest of the car, some improvement in gloss

[​IMG]

I later decided to remove whatever pieces I could to allow for better angles when polishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

After all exterior metal work was finished I moved onto the interior, also full of aluminum which needed polishing

Work on the steering column...

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]

Difference in clarity from polishing, dullness in the aluminum is being removed after 2-3 hits with the metal compound on a short nap MF towel

[​IMG]

Door handle housing needed some attention as well

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Slight improvement made on the shift knob, before

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]

After all interior metal work was polished the leather (shall I say about 17.5 cows worth) was cleaned and conditioned. For this I cleaned the leather with Leatherique pristine clean and followed up with Leather Masters protection cream.

Some interior shots after full detailing, this really is a fantastic car just to sit in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A proper ignition switch for a car with no power brakes or power steering

[​IMG]

The soft top of the Spyker had some water damage and staining, during the wash process several applications of diluted APC cleaner and a soft brush were used to lift the stains...

Before staining

[​IMG]

Same area (car is now turned around) after cleaning and protection. For protection 303 fabric guard was used, 2 applications over 2 days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paintwork on the Spyker was in excellent shape, 106FA on the rotary was used to remove slight marring and bring up the gloss, for protection Wolfs Body Wrap (a nano sealant) was used.

All paint areas were protected...

[​IMG]

Finished photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: Ferrari 458 Italia

... I knew this car was going to need some serious correction work as most EVERY modern Ferrari coming out of the factory in Maranello has major paint issues. This should not be the case as owners wait months to years for a car and pay enough money for it, the least they could do would give it a proper refinishing from the factory.

Began with a full prep wash to remove all prior protection. As usual I treated the wheels to a gentle mix of soap and water and pH wheel cleaner in a bottle... for carbon ceramic brakes thats all I really ever use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Citrus wash was used with a DD foam sponge

[​IMG]

After claying, drying and a few IPA wipedowns I measured the paint using an electronic paint thickness gauge as I went around the car taping off vents, edges and clear bra seams...

[​IMG]

190-200+ microns across the board

[​IMG]

A proper tape job is well worth the time, especially when working on any exotic car. Lots of air vents, ducts and clear film to consider.

All mesh grilles were tapes off, getting polish sling inside the mesh or behind it would be a nightmare to fix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finish of the 458 looked poor even before the wash, once everything was clean and stripped 100% the term "bad factory finish" took on a new meaning. This car had several areas where huge clusters of swirls, RIDS and even sanding scratches were left behind.

Example of factory defects:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto correction, both rotary and DA machines were used to get the finish as close to 100% as possible. Several areas require multiple hits of compounding to yield a high level of correction.

Front fender before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 3 rounds of compounding using M105 and D300

[​IMG]

An then onto refining the paint using Menzerna powerfinish on a green polishing pad

[​IMG]

The hood of the 458 had clear film so I switched up to a DA machine for cooler operating temps and a smoother glide over the plastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 on front nose which had clear film

[​IMG]

Surbuffing' the roof...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear section of the Italia was by far the most severely hacked area. I spent over 5hours alone just on rear bumper getting it perfect.

Some before and afters...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

License plate recess before

[​IMG]

After, compounding haze needs to be finished down

[​IMG]

Holograms + sanding scratches left from factory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then removed as needed through compounding, no polish stages carried out yet

[​IMG]

Sorting out defects on the decklid, both 5" and 3" pads were used to correct this area

[​IMG]

The drivers rear quarter had a large cluster of defects which could be seen even without addition lighting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

and again after proper finishing

[​IMG]

After all compounding and polishing steps the car was dusted and wiped again with IPA before the final polishing stage using Menzerna PO85rd on a black finishing foam

before that some sling off the engine needed to be removed, faint but still noticible...

[​IMG]

Some tarminator + 3M adhesive remover helped to lift the sling after a few applications

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine needed a bit of work as well, fairly dirty and some plastic components were dried out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is after I did a full cleaning and dressing of 1 side of the engine... shows the difference pretty well I'd say

... for those of your wondering, the red engine block was also dressed with a a little formula I've been tweaking with and it seems to be the only thing that works well on Ferrari engine blocks being that they are porous and hard to dress properly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished engine

[​IMG]

Engine cover coated with Nanolex, premium glass cleaner followed by premium glass sealant

[​IMG]

Left to haze and buffed off with a damp glass MF towel

[​IMG]

The exhaust tips trio cleaned up nicely

[​IMG]

Tidied up trunk and underside of hood protected with Aquartz reload

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior was treated as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End result after 3 days work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*The car was driven the following day during a rally, here are a few shots outside AFTER the 458 spent the day on the highway cruise

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still pretty clean after a days worth of driving

[​IMG]

Next up Porsche GT2 RS

Prep stage, 2 buckets ready

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body of the car was then clayed

[​IMG]

Some tape lines were still left on the car from delivery

[​IMG]

3M adhesive remover made easy work of it

[​IMG]

I treated all plastic trim and body pieces with Wolfs trim coat, so far this has proven to be an outstanding product that is extremely easy to use. Mind you this GT2 RS is still fairly new so the front spoiler was far from "faded" to begin with... little 50/50 of the trim coat

[​IMG]

The matte carbon wrapped hood and other pieces of the car were treated with the Swissvax Opaque line of products, as nothing else will really work.

First the Opaque pre cleaner was used to prep for the later wax. Very simply product just lightly mist and wipe. (Left side already done)

[​IMG]

Then came the application of the wax, most of you know I am not a big fan of carnauba waxes but in this case Opaque worked beautifully...

[​IMG]

One side finished to show difference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All other carbon wrapped areas were treated the same way

[​IMG]

For the paint correction part of the detail most of my efforts were focused on the rear tail section as it was riddled with factory defects and very dull

Example: Pigtailing and sanding marks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tufbuf wool pad and Meguiars M105 was used to remove the defects, followed by Menzerna powerfinish on a green pad and then 85rd

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exhaust tips treated, before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small details on the interior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine cleaned and all carbon polished with 106FA then protected with Aquartz Reload

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paint LSP was Wolfs Body Wrap

Finished photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels sealed using with Aquartz and tires dressed with Auto Werkes tire dressing

[​IMG]

The art of saving weight, no metal Porsche crest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Prep wash using lambswool mitt, something I rarely use anymore but always nice for a somewhat clean car

[​IMG]

Drying the car with a metro blaster, hands down the most efficient way to dry... this thing is very powerful!

[​IMG]

Claying to remove bonded contaminants

[​IMG]

Car was taped up as needed. Lots of clear film to consider, vents etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Astons as well as Ferrari are known for poor factory finishing. This car was no exception. Buffer trails/holograms, sanding scratches, pig-tailing all found in the finish.

Example of some haphazard buffing (mind you this is a new car)

[​IMG]

More defects

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 on door, swirls, RIDS and haze removed from left side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Correction on strip in taillight housing (where taping comes in handing again)

[​IMG]

Even the tiny areas need attention...

[​IMG]

Trunk section required some extra time working with smaller 3" pads and M105

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Finished with Wolfs Body Wrap, 2x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Also a victim of poor factory finishing, not as bad as the 458 luckily

After the wash, blowing water off the clear film

[​IMG]

Spot compounding the carbon mirrors using the Megs MF cutting disc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carbon backs sealed as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tires dressed with Autowerks Exclusive tire dressing, left to sit for 10 minutes and then buffed down, probably one of the best looking dressings I have used so far

[​IMG]

Finished pictures + sun shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back inside for a final wipedown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine finished, carbon fiber polished + protected along with alu. exhaust can

[​IMG]

Interior finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A beautiful sight, alcantara wrapped fire extinguisher atop diamond plate floor board (no mats come with a Scuderia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite pic of the detail...

[​IMG]

Next up: Porsche Carerra GT

This is the second C-GT in GT Silver I have done, really a stunning color and perfectly fitting on this car.

Cleaning the wheels and tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Difference between a partially cleaned tire and a fully cleaned tire.... Sometimes cleaning tires just once is not enough. If you want your tire dressing of choice to work properly you need completely stripped rubber as seen on the left side, right side still has old dressing caked in which needs to be removed

[​IMG]

Wing raised to clay and polish as needed

[​IMG]

Interior work, all dried out trim and seals were treated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leather treated with Leather Masters cleaner and conditioner, doorjambs protected with Aquartz reload

[​IMG]

In my opinion one of the coolest/underrated features of this car, the wood grain shift knob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attentional all potential Carerra GT buyers, your infant unfortunately cannot ride with you to school, or at trackdays :tiptoe:

[​IMG]

Paint polished with PO85rd on a finishing pad, LSP was Wofls Body Wrap

Engine bay and carbon bits detailed/protected

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished with Wolfs Body Wrap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: Lamborghini LP570-4 Superleggera

This car was in generally clean shape but the finish in some areas needed a lot of work polishing work to show its full potential.

After prep I taped off all necessary areas

[​IMG]

Removing defects and haze with Meguiars M105 and the MF cutting disc, this was a fairly slow process as Lamborghini paint is quite hard

[​IMG]

Before shots of the finish

[​IMG]

Buffer trails

[​IMG]

50:50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carbon fiber engine cover had the same issues, needed a few polishing stages to get back to 100%

[​IMG]

50:50 note the difference in color and clarity between the polished and unpolished side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smallers areas done in 3" pads

[​IMG]

The whole rear bumper/diffuser needed a lot of work. Factory sanding scratches here were blatant and some had not even been attempted to get polished out.

Example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

CF by the license plate made for a tight fit during correction but again holograms and swirls needed to be removed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50:50 lots of haze on the CF before polishing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Applying Wolfs Trim Coat to the front splitter, gives a nice jetness to black plastic

[​IMG]

Engine bay dialed in and carbon fiber sealed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: Ferrari 599 HGTE in Grigio Silverstone

Correction carried out with Menzerna Powerfinish on a LC tangerine hydro pad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished down with M205, not my choice finishing polish for all paints but on harder metallic finishes it works beautifully

Broken down after a short time polishing followed by an IPA wipedown

[​IMG]

Engine wiped down, plastics treated with 303 protectant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior of this 599 is one of my favorites. All alcantara and leather treated. And yes the HGTE comes with alcantara floormats as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: Porsche Boxster Spyder

This car needed a good detail after some time at the track. Main goal was to clean up the paint, remove tar spots and rubber marks from track days and apply protection. Did not take very many pics of this detail.

[​IMG]

Rubber marks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Dried out front lip

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: Audi R8 V10

Done quite a few R8's this year but still enjoying working on them! This car recieved a minor paint correction with the exception of the rear black plastic section which needed full correction.

Some after shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally a Porsche GT3 RS

The RS received a full paint correction detail.

50:50 on driver door after correction

[​IMG]

Closeup of defects after compounding 1 side, notice although defects are removed gloss is seriously lacking. This is where final polishing makes the difference

[​IMG]

Just like on the GT2 RS the defects on the rear section far more severe than the rest of the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After compounding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wing polished top and sides

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polishing stage with 203s after M105

[​IMG]

After final finishing with PO85rd

[​IMG]

Working on the hood, as usual I popped it so I could polish all the way to the edge on both the hood and fenders without running onto an adjacent panel

(using a wax tub works great for Porsche hoods to stay open)

[​IMG]

Finished down before LSP under the LED light

[​IMG]

Wolfs trim coat to the rescue again on the RS front lip

[​IMG]

Interior treated, all carbon bits treated with Aquartz reload

[​IMG]

Finished shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So basically we have here grandfather, father, and son.... and by that I mean Carerra GT, GT2 RS and GT3 3 RS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was overcast and the rain was holding off so I pulled it out for a few pics

[​IMG]

Again Autowerkes tire dressing looking great on the tires, wheel were protected with Nanolex wheel sealant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a very long thread in case you were unaware of the obnoxious amount of pictures I posted. Instead of putting up a bunch of different writeups I decided to just put it all together and display it as one.

I thank you for taking the time to read it and enjoy the pictures.

Please stay tuned for part 2...

2. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Meh.............................just more proof of "Fastracking" What can you say but :applause: "Certified J ness".

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Freakin' A, what an experience that must have been for you. Brilliant work as always.

How many days did you spend on this project?
    Noticed you are using the old Flex rotary, what happened to your new one?
    Care to divulge your Ferarri engine block secret product?

4. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

i really enjoyed this thread. nice work as always Dave. I was just talking about you the other day with a friend who commented how my car doesn't have any swirls and its black. I've been washing it weekly and it still looks almost as good as the day you saved it!

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

jesus david, i really dont know what to say. i DO want to know what you're using to get those tires so damn squeaky clean, including brush if you dont mind. ive been trying for a number of years now to find the perfect cleaner/brush combo for tires.

6. m3jasper

m3jasper Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great work, David!

Joe has an amazing collection, I've had the privilege of seeing his garages in person and it's truly something amazing.

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

great work.

8. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Simply amazing Dave...Epic Thread !!!!!

9. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Dave, outstanding as usual! That's some kind of ROAD TRIP! Good to see you back!

10. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

impressive! ; )

11. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

This was a real sunday afternoon treat, just 1 more hour then I'll have top gear, perfect way to spend a sunday

12. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

David,

BRAVO--I think a section to archive this and detail's like this one needs to be created. I would suggest calling the section-the HAll Of Fame. Only the mod's should be able to move posts into that section. Dave, your work is beyond excellent, meticulous, awesome and just looks like plan MAGIC.

These cars were not corrected they were Perfected. I especially apreciate the fact that you share your expertise, specific steps, thought process and product selection. Alot of guys feel that by listing details of the detail it somehow gives away the "secret". A secure detailer like you who shares info freely is very much appreciated by a guy like me who are here to learn so I can keep my cars the best I can.

Great post and thanks for sharing freely.

13. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Great work Dave!

14. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job Dave!!!

15. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

wowzors...very nice thread and detailing!

you must have spent over 2 weeks there...must have been a very nice experience and client to have.

once i saw the white lambo in the background of the earlier car detail i kept scrolling wondering if it would show up...haha...

wicked job on those cars. :applause:

16. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Amazing detail session Dave!!! I'm sure you had a blast detailing all those exotic cars. I would die to detail just one of those. Being able to start, sit in, pull out and pull in the car is a fantastic treat. Thank you for sharing this with us Dave.

That is indeed a dream garage.

17. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Wow! Everything done to "certified tightness" ;) You sure do have a nice client here!

18. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I want a "joe" job that buys me that collection. Great job dave.

19. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

Insane work once again, Dave!

Nice looking collection and all the cars look perfect now that you've worked your magic on them...

Glad to hear business is booming!

20. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

this collection is absolutely insane, and your work of them is on the same level....all posts on DB are now inferior to yours hahaha. really just jaw dropping stuff man.

that AE tire dressing does look nice.