Street Dreams Detail - BMW correction/Aquartz

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Apologies for the lack of write-ups lately, by next month I'll have the time post a few very cool ones on the boards.

BMW 1 series in for a complete paint correction and interior detail. As per owners request Aquartz coating was applied as the final protection.

I did a winter preparation detail on this BMW back in December but no paint correction was carried out at that time, this time around the car got the works:thumb:

Pre-foaming with CG citrus wash mixed with a bit of Opt. powerclean to remove prior sealant

Washed using with the 2BM and Lusso auto bathe followed by a complete soak in Iron Cut (ideal to use when your applying any type of paint coating coating). Iron cut was left to sit for 7-8 minutes before wiping down with a damp towel and then a re-rinse with the pressure washer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the rest of prep with a quick clay and 2 IPA wipedowns the car was taped up for correction, paint was measured with the PTG and then inspected with LED and halogen lights.

Overall condition of the finish wasnt too pretty, very high concentration of wash swirls with a few areas showing some deeper defects and RIDS.

After a few test spots I decided to carry out paint correction using Meguiars M105 on a tangerine LC hydro pad on the rotary at 1800rpms followed by Menzerna Powerfinish 203s on a green DD polishing pad. At this stage the finish was just about 95-98% perfect and defect free.

Final polishing was done with a DA just to ensure no fine marring in the finish after the earlier correction stages, for this Menzerna 106FA was used on a black finishing foam.

Video 50.50 using Fenix TK40 LED (pardon me if your not a Jimi Hendrix fan)

YouTube - ‪Street Dreams Detail - BMW correction 50.50‬‏

Some shots of the damage before and after and in between...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hood showing some deeper marks, a few extra passes with slow arm movement massaged them out fine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front fender after M105 and Powerfinish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some very deep marks were left, no wetsanding was to be carried out on this detail

[​IMG]

Tailights needed some work, before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After compounding, no intermediate of final polishing done yet

[​IMG]

Rear section corrected and polished using 3" and 4" pads

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Clarity where it should be and flake pop after final polishing

[​IMG]

The trunk had some issues during an ice storm in the winter, little bit of "slide-age" caused those snazzy horizontal racing stripes (which look quite badass might I add) but they still had to go, shame, it was a good look too:shakehead:

[​IMG]

Usually the worst part of any car, top of the rear bumper... I won the battle but lost the war when it came to deep RIDS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 rear bumper

[​IMG]

Close up with the halogen, just showing a difference in color before and after correction

[​IMG]

Small details, side markers were faded and needed polishing as well

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

After correction I pressured washed the car to remove any polishing dust and then pre soaked and foamed the body to remove any polishing oils (a very good idea when applying a coating)

Polishing oils being removed from the finish

[​IMG]

After correction and the second wash I started on the interior, leather needed some work.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

50/50 of the drivers seat after cleaning and agitation with a soft brush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquartz was applied to the whole car using a slightly damp MF towel with the product misted right onto the towel and then wiped in straight lines over the finish. 2 coats were applied within 2 hours of eachother.

Final shots (new camera lens is a bit wider, still trying to figure it all out)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sun shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this shot, just shows how the flake looks in the sun

[​IMG]

Back in the garage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking

-Dave

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Awesome work. The black on black is sick!!

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Dave, I never get enough of your write ups.

Great work yet again!

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Great work as usual. I always like your 50/50 pictures.

6. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Great Job Dave; is that corner of your garage all of you detailing supplies?

7. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Fantastic Dave!

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Nice job Dave. Car looks mint!

9. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

welcome back! :) even if you never left. Looking forward to viewing all the new lovely machines you did he!

10. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Looks great.
    The Hendrix fit well :headbang:

11. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

by the look of the first shot of the car i thought it was matte paint great job

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Amazing work Dave! I enjoyed reading this write up:)

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

So nice, great work on this one Dave. Nice 50/50 of the leather as well.

14. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

great job Dave!

15. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Looks amazing. Makes me want to get off my lazy butt and go detail!

16. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Awesome work Dave fantastic detail and write up

17. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

Very nice job there. Just one question though, after polishing, you soaked the car with ironcut and that was taking off the polishing oils?

18. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Virgin Detailer

Very nice. You must love the laziness of owners and the car wash owners that do that kind of damage to paint jobs on nice cars.

You must smile wide when you pass a car wash with a long line on a hot summer day.

Will keep you in business for a very long time.

19. TLcoats

TLcoats Any Rag Vehicle Washer

You've got jedi skills to turn around that car. Nice!

I wouldn't say it's just laziness. Lack of knowledge of proper wash techniques is also a big contributing factor.

20. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

The iron cut was only used on the initial wash prep. After polishing I only foamed the car using regular shampoos/APC, Iron cut wouldnt remove polishing oils because it attacks iron particles.

Thanks P1et!

^ Your not wrong. The worse shape the cars come, the more hours I bill and the greater the end result looks. Its like a doctor hoping for only sick patients...

Thanks Sal!