Street Dreams Detail - 2012 Jaguar XK Paint Correction & Dealer Fix

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Mar 24, 2012.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Brand new XK brought in for new car preparation and detail. Owner was very unhappy with the quality/lack there of proper detailing done to the Jag.

Main points:

- Botched dealer preparation
    - Failure to remove tape lines from transport
    - Swirls, deep RIDS and holograms left in the finish
    - Sanding marks left uncorrected
    - Light overspray removal

Wash process done with 2 bucket method using CG citrus and Opt. Powerclean. Wheels treated with Sonax FE and then Wolf's Chemical Clean and Coat. Tires and wheel wells degreased with strong APC mix and various brushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonax FE sprayed on the wheel dry and left to sit for 10 minutes or until blood red and then pressure washed off

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Couple before shots prior to the wash, typical road grime, some light water spotting etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deep scratch by the passenger door handle, easily visible even with a dirty car, usually thats not a good thing :shakehead:

[​IMG]

Body rinsed at high pressure before foaming, paint was beading very strong obviously dealership applied glaze or wax. Pre-foamed and left to sit for 5 minutes, rinsed off at high pressure and then continued with a 2BM wash. After the wash Wolf's deionizer gel was sprayed and left to sit for a few minutes before wiping in with a damp microfiber towel. This step isnt always needed but given the finish had a rough feel during the wash I felt it was needed. Definitely some overspray on the hood, bumper and front fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deionizer gel doing its job...

[​IMG]

Wheels were treated with Wolf's Clean and Coat just for the protection factor. Been using this product on my own wheels for a month and so far I like it. Quick shot of the beading on the wheels, will keep you posted on durablity

[​IMG]

Finish was clayed with a mild aggressive bar to remove contaminants and some overspray. Post claying several strong IPA wipedowns were done to prep the finish for polishing and ensure no prior wax or glaze was left before starting correction work. Correction work carried out using D300, M105 as needed and Menzerna Super finish. Microfiber cutting discs and detailersdomain foam pads were used throughout

On with the paint correction....

Few sweeping marks on the front fender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Hood damage under the halogen light (which by the way seemed to do a better job on this heavy metallic than my Fenix LED which is usually my go to light source)

Some holograms spotted and a cluster of deep RIDS which needed some wetsanding to remove

[​IMG]

Closeup of one deep gouge, M105 wouldnt touch it...

[​IMG]

Area taped off for sanding...

[​IMG]

Sanded by hand using 2000 followed by 3000 grit wet

[​IMG]

After compounding

[​IMG]

Moving onto the rest of the body, not heavy swirling just straight line RIDS and small scratches

[​IMG]

Passenger door took a good bit of damage from the dealer, 50/50 of the correction

[​IMG]

Drivers side...

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Rear quarter had a very deep gouge running about 8-9inches long as well as a cluster of other defects which needed wetsanding to remove safely. No need to grind away paint trying to compound these out, they were just too deep

[​IMG]

Not sure what happened here but it needed to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No room for a sanding block or pad due to the closeness of that edge, even pressure with my fingers worked fine

[​IMG]

After sanding...

[​IMG]

And after remove sanding marks with M105

[​IMG]

This was very surprising, on the spoiler either the factory or dealer tried to remove a dust nib in the paint and wetsanded it but completely forgot that when you wetsand you need to POLISH out the marks afterwards

This was visible even without extra lighting....

[​IMG]

After correcting...

[​IMG]

After all correction was finished the rest of the car was tidied up. Wheels, glass, trim and engine were all treated. Protection for this car was Wolf's Body Wrap.

The final photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sun shots before pickup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always thank you for reading, been very behind with writeups will do my best to post more this week :usa:

All the best,

Dave
    Street Dreams Detail

2. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Nice work. I'll PM my address to send me the car ;) Dealers are awful places for auto paint IMHO.

3. Daydream Believer

Daydream Believer Birth of a Detailer

WOW, nice save =)

4. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Another stellar Job! Good to see you posting again. Can you give me a brief run down on the clean and coat. Not familiar with product, process and the protection it provides, however if you use it on you car, i know I have missed something!

5. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

very nice, love that XK, im sure the owner was thrilled at pick up!

6. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

wow thats an awesome looking Jag! great work as always!

7. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

Awesome work! I need to learn wetsanding.

8. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Top notch work, Dave. Fantastic job on the Jag, such a shame though it was in that condition to start with

9. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Great job Dave!

10. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Car looks amazing bro great work!

11. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

excellent work and that paint is looking real nice!

no agitation on the wheels when using Sonax FE?

12. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Nice save on the small issues you needed to wetsand. Sun shots look nice as always.

Good work!

13. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Was that a reflection of a Terminator Cobra in one of those pictures? Anywho...car looks GREAT!!

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Stunning work, David! Your work is very thorough, you really take very good care removing those deep scratches! Well done!

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Consistant "Jness" with the whole package..................work quality/presentation/pics = winnidge.

16. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Looks great Dave, definitely amateur hour move on them not treating the wet sand marks on the trunk.

-Kody-

17. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Excellent work Dave. How did your incorporate Power Clean in the wash process?

18. sgvevo9mr

sgvevo9mr Two Bucket System Washer

Jag looks awesome!

19. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Wow! Impressive work as always Dave! The paint finish at the end couldn't be wetter.

20. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

As always Dave another outstanding Job. Simply Jaw dropping.