Strange Yellow Opti-Coat

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by luke093, Jun 29, 2012.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I have a few syringes that I ordered from a couple vendors, and 2 of them are 100% clear liquid, while the other two coming from the other vendor have a yellow tint to them.

Is the product still good to work with? Why would it happen? I don't want to compromise anything for my clients vehicles.

Chris@Optimum, any chance you know?

2. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

It should be clear. Air was introduced! Contact Chris, they'll give you a hand.

3. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

After looking it does seem like there is a lot more air in this one.

4. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Luke, with OC it is very important the the plunger be bottomed out with no air in it! I will almost put money on it that if you use this on customer cars, you will have problems!

5. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

The yellow color is from the plasticizer the syringe supplier used in the last batch of syringes we ordered. It will not affect the look or performance of the product...and even if you do see a slight darkening effect after initial application, exposure to UV over a few days will restore the perfect clarity you expect from OC. If you are more comfortable returning it, just contact me...but I've used it on several cars with no issue.

Regarding the air in the syringe: air really isn't an issue...its the moisture in the air that will cause the product to start polymerization. Any air that ships from us will be fine....just try to purge it and not reintroduce any into the syringe when storing after use.

6. bakchoi

bakchoi Birth of a Detailer

How do you do this? Never used a needle before. :giggle:

7. Chris@Optimum

Chris@Optimum DB Certified Manufacturer

Point the syringe up to move all air toward the opening, remove the black and or blue tips so that no tip is installed, cover the hole with a towel or applicator, and push the plunger untill the excess air is gone. Replace the black tip for storage. The towel or applicatior over the hole is to prevent "coating" the ceiling.