Still dirty

Discussion in 'Detailers Domain' started by ccraig13, Jun 4, 2012.

1. ccraig13

ccraig13 Virgin Detailer

Hey all,

So I've been noticing that my paint still has a very thin layer of dirt/dust on it after I ONR ( Not everywhere and mostly on the lower sections ). I'm using a wool mitt and going fairly light over the surface. What's the best route to take to clean off that last bit of grime without scratching the paint? Pre-rinse with hose? More pressure? Different soap? I get very nervous when I go over it with some QD and the MF is slightly dirty :yikes:

Technique: Pre-spray panel with ONR, Dip mitt in ONR, wring out till it's not dripping so much, drag over surface, rinse in wash bucket, repeat. Also, I have noticed a few scratches recently that seem like they're coming from my wash method and I just polished 2 months ago :(

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I would switch your wash mitt over to an Uber Sponge. Using light pressure on the wool mitt means you are probably moving across the paint with gaps.

Remember, the more friction on your car, the more likely it is that you are causing marring. ONR is great for being eco-friendly, not so great because the methods used for the cleaning process.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Is this layer of dirt there immediately after you use ONR? or is there elapsed time before you notice it?

I would recommend you actually wash the car traditionally. Unless its physically impossible to wash it. See if that helps, if its still there, maybe clay bar the area.

4. ccraig13

ccraig13 Virgin Detailer

I'll give the sponge a try. I've always assumed that the sponge would kill my paint, but I keep reading more and more good things about them ( and by "them" I mean quality ones like this, of course ). I have been using a grout spong from lowe's but just on the lower parts of the car. Is it safe for me to just start wiping it with a sponge if there's a grime build up? I feel like the sponge is going to turn into a piece of sandpaper after only a few inches of movement.

Immediately after. I would go over the panel, pad it dry, and see the film. I would then go over it again and it would still be there until I pressed much harder or use my lowe's grout sponge.

These are the moments that make me regret Jet Black... :)

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, black can be a pain, sounds like you may have some embeded road grime, I would suggest washing it, or just a small spot. See if that helps, if not it may need to be clayed.

+1 on the uber sponge, its more forgiving then the grout sponge.

I have had no marring with mine.

6. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Pics?

7. ccraig13

ccraig13 Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the recommendation!

Sorry I don't have any, but that's a good idea. It's very subtle. Kinda like when you get road salt on it in the winter but practically see through.