Stiff carpets

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by wagonproject, Oct 13, 2008.

1. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Well after I clean carpets, they seem to be still if you will. I'm not sure if thats normal or something I am doing wrong. I mix oxy clean and Meguairs APC in a bucket and then use a brush to put in on the carpet and scrub. I "extract" with the BLGM until its pulling up clear water. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Sounds like you have residual detergent in the fibers...

3. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

its def leftover detergent. only use water in the extractor and I would just use one or the other of the cleaners.

4. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys! And yeah I only use water in the extractor.

5. Cleaning Fool

Cleaning Fool Birth of a Detailer

Theres no way you can pull all that detergent back out of the carpet with an LGM. Mist the carpet and scrub, do not over apply and I would not be adding Oxi-clean to APC. Oxy Clean can die carpet fibers if you don't get it all rinsed out.

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Clean the carpets with a vinegar / water solution, this (acidic mixture) will free the detergent from the fibres. Goes without saying, but rinse thouroughly with clean water afterwards

7. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

I agree there seems to be something left in the fibres. How many times did you rinse out?

8. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

This is what you need to do since you do have left over soap in the fibers..also they do sell a rinse product that will pull up the detergent residue...with the residue in the carpet..it will soil fast since the residue will collect dirt and adhere to it...

also the LGM may not have the lift to get deep into the fiber to get the residue from the soap...may need a shop vac and spray bottle to get it all out...need to get the backing also as it will wick up if any residue is in the backing

AL

9. Cleaning Fool

They sell a rinse product that will pull up residue? Can't say I'm familiar with this, care to tell us what this product is?

10. Al-53

here is one product I have used and works great at getting all residue out ...

All Fiber Rinse

Jon Don has some nice stuff..all professional chemicals....I use Zep cleaners and Pro rinses and enzyme products....

Al

PS..here is a link to all the rinses

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=67_2029&osCsid=0e4538c4c1286b33ca221be2c4bccf0e

11. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys for all the info, greatly appreciated. You guys say just mist the carpets, but what about on stuff like this? http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f47/dodge-stratus-trashed-interior-5936.html

(yes I know the BLGM is not the best option, but being only 20, my money is limited, lol)

Also are you just spraying that "All Fiber Rinse" on after you've cleaned the carpets and then "pulling" that up?

And would you recommended the one you linked as in your other link theres a few more.

Also thank you for the link to the place. Think now Ill have to buy a dedicated carpet cleaner, just to many choices!

12. Al-53

I use the rinse agent right in the tank..that way its spraying and extracting at the same time ..so it lifts the soap as it extracts...

check out Jon Don site as there may be a store close to you...they have a few around the contry....

I use the Rinse master or the All fiber rinse..both work great for me...I wash my rugs in the house 3 times a year with my Mytee as I have 3 dogs..and I use a rinse every time and rugs come out like new looking

Al

13. Cleaning Fool

Ok, I figured you were talking about an all fiber rinse. My only point is, thats a good option IF you have enough lift/suction so the product can do its job. Wagonproject, yes you can just mist the carpet. When you put chemicals on the carpet, typically the PH level will rise to 9-12 ph from 7 where it started. The rinse will neutralize the alkalinity and bring it back to 7. If you are getting stiff carpet, you are leaving those fibers at a PH level of 10-12, when it should be at 7. The trashed Dodge, first thing I would do is vacuum thoroughly, then mist and use your LCG. Look, this unit isn't capable of restoring trashed carpet, not even close. The machine is limited and you will just have to live with the results until you get a true extractor

14. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys for all the help/info!!

Im looking at all the different PH levels and trying to find a product as they go from like 8ish-12. And 7 is neutral. So the higher PH levels mean more cleaning ability or? (sorry just trying to learn this and do a better job on the next interior)

Maybe ill stick to what Im doing just use the shop vac to suck the shampoo up and then either mist or put the rinse agent in the BLGM.

And yeah I know its limited to what it can do, just hard to pay for true extractor right now.