Steaming a well covered engine bay - Nica's way

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Nica, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

Well wile I was steaming the rims, wheel wells and the rest of the vehicle I figured why stop there. So I steamed the engine bay, now this engine bay is well protected. When I say well protected I mean the entire engine bay is covered by some plastic trims, that and the engine bay has been well maintained so if anything take this video as an example.

The steamer made quick work of anything that was on the engine bay...um..:shead: most of it was dust though :giggle: but oh well at least you get the idea.

Hope you enjoy the video:

www.detailingbliss.com/downloads/desktops/Steamervideos/steaminganenginebay.mov

Again, the video is just to show how I do things and the purpose of the video is just to illustrate how you could use a steamer. Shortly I'll be detailing other engine bays that will challenge the engine bay and I'll share the videos as well.

2. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

:thumb: :headbang: :applause: :worship2:
    Excellent video Nica! Thanks for sharing with us!
    Another item to put on my wish list.
    Dave

3. 03trippleblackls

03trippleblackls Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Excellent video Nica, as always.

4. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Very informative video as always, however all it did is make me want a steamer even more!!!

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Glad you enjoyed the video :peace: and the steamer is a pleasure to work with.

Thank you for the feed back, glad to hear you enjoyed it :chest:

:giggle: I'm having way too much fun with this steamer, best of all it does a great job at anything I put against it.

I feel I haven't challenged this steamer just yet though, hopefully I'll have some other vehicles that will challenge the steamer but to be honest I can't see this steamer not being up for the challenge. It just does a great job at braking things down :thumb:

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great video Carlos! I'll be sure to update the video thread.

Um, did you notice that the video cuts off somewhere at the 1/3 mark and continues at the 1/5 mark with you steaming the wheel, tire and wheel well?

7. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Keep it up Nica! That Steamer should literally eliminate all interior chemicals, you could just survive with 2 dilutions of APC.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you for updating the thread Denzil...um...vieo cuts off huh..mm...I'll have to double check :shead: thanks for letting me know though. I may have mixed the videos up...I've got quite a few now :shead:

:nod: I have a vehicle booked this coming weekend, customer wants the interior done and a winter prep. I'll use the steamer on the entire inside and outside. I'll make some videos of it as well, but I have a feeling the steamer may eliminate the APC dilution that I'm accustomed to using. I mean I've done the interior of my vehicles with just the steamer and a micro fiber towel and I haven't had the need of the APC bucket. But keep in mind my vehicles are in good shape, if anything I was just removing dust from the interior. This vehicle I'm doing this weekend is supposed to be in bad shape, interior wise that is. Which is good, as I really need to challenge the steamer, not just remove dust, so stay tooned to this weekend :popcorn: :popcorn:

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Hey Denzil, your right. The video seems to have gotten mixed up :shead: I'll have to edit it and re-do post it.

Thanks for catching that.

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

No problem Carlos, glad I could help. I look forward to your steamer videos attacking the nasty interior of the vehicle you have booked this coming weekend. :)

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Video is all fixed now :thumb:

12. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

where is the dirty vehicle!!!!!! i need more vids Carlos your killing me

13. Nica

Nica Banned

You want dirty, I should detail the engine bay of the old beater Jeep. Seriously that thing has grime, oil and who knows what else on the engine bay it's shocking it's still running...but I'm scared that if I remove all that grime from the engine bay the darn thing will stop running :giggle: :giggle:

14. greased

greased Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Nice work! Quick with the steam, eh? HAve you noticed any problems steaming an engine bay thats not so covered?

15. Jay J

Jay J Birth of a Detailer

What's a good steamer sub 150?

16. Nica

Nica Banned

No, can't say I've noticed anything go wrong when steaming an engine bay...well so far that is.

Sorry Jay J what is 'sub 150'?

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I think he means around the $150 range... :shead:

18. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh in that case, in my opinion $150 will get you a reasonable steamer, when I say reasonable I mean reasonable to be used on minor jobs around the house and perhaps on leather seats. What I'm getting at is that I purchased a steamer for my wife to use for the clothes and it cost over $150. I could actually use that steamer for detailing as well, mainly the leather seats but what makes a steamer worth wile is how high it's temperature will go and just as important the maximum PSI.

But that's just my personal opinion, I'm no expert, just sharing what I've seen so far, hope it helps Jay J.

19. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

hey are you using the original vapor chief or the 180 vapor chief?

20. Nica

Nica Banned

Um..to be honest I'm not sure :shead:..:confused: