Steamers vs. Extractors, by Kevin Ferrell

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by togwt, Oct 28, 2010.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Steamers vs. Extractors, by Kevin Ferrell - Carpet Extractor or Steamer - Auto Detailing Forum

Carpet extractor

The old standby; the carpet extractor has been around in many forms for decades. It's a simple machine when you look at it. It heats water, and then delivers it through a pump and out a nozzle at the end of a wand. The wand also has a vacuum attachment to pick up the dirt that has been released by the heated water. People have been cleaning carpets in homes, business and cars like this for years.

There is certainly something to be said for a machine that dissolves dirt, flushes it out and then gets vacuumed away all in one swoop. The machines are easy to operate, not too big, and make carpet cleaning much easier than hand cleaning and much more effective. Score 1 for the carpet extractor.

But not so fast. This machine as many of you know has its drawbacks. Anyone that has ever used one is always deathly afraid of leaving the interior too wet. A few passes over a carpet or seat will leave everything fairly wet and drying time is prolonged. We have all had cars where we over-wet the interior and had to try to get it dry quickly. We have run air blowers, left the heat running in the car, used many towels trying to dry a seat or carpet, or put plastic over the seats to prevent somebody from getting a wet seat themselves when they got back in the car. In hot climates or the summertime, if a car is left too wet, there is a strong possibility of mould or mildew developing, which will result in bad odours. Used cars have had this problem as their doors are usually left shut for a long time after a detail. In cold weather you risk condensation on inside glass, or possibly ice developing and an even longer drying time.

The other negative issue about a carpet extractor, through no fault of its own…..is that is can only be used on fabrics and carpets. With many more cars having leather interiors these days that are one less thing the carpet extractor can do. So in essence, the carpet extractor is becoming a bit old in the tooth to say the least…or maybe even a dinosaur.
    Dry vapour steam machines

Introducing….The upstart, the underdog, the new kid on the block, the new sheriff in town….you get my point. Actually steamers have been around quite a while now. The more commercial and industrial machines have been used in various industries for a couple of decades now, but it’s really only been the last 8 or 9 years that steamers have been integrated into detailing. I have been using one for about 7 years but I was not a huge fan to start out. I was a trusty carpet extractor guy and didn’t “get” steam.
    My mistake back then was not researching the machines and being too cheap to buy a good unit. I bought one of those TV units that claimed you could accomplish everything with this little bitty machine for the low, low price of…….Well, as it turned out, the low, low price was just a waste of money.

The machine was basically toys that really did nothing but slows me down and not clean very well. So, I closed mindedly wrote off the use of steamers for a couple of years and went back to using my trusty carpet extractor, compressed air, and manually cleaning the trim panels and areas where you simply can’t use the extractor.
    What does steam do?

After hearing some detailers reporting success with commercial grade steamers, as well as having people ask me questions about them, I figured I needed to revisit their use. I did not want to waste money again and buy a cheapo unit this time, but I did not want to spend thousands on a steamer either. I simply did not know anything about steamers.
    I must admit, years ago I did not fully understand what steam actually does in the cleaning process either, so I decided to find out what this is all about.

All steamers have a boiler. The water inside the boiler is heated and pressurized which will produce steam, or more precisely, hot dry vapour, which is a gas. As all gasses do, when vapour contacts the atmosphere it expands violently and dissipates. Vapour molecules are extremely small and are able to penetrate the pores on any surface. When the hot vapour molecules come in contact with the cool surface in the pores, they violently expand and force all dirt, debris, and bacteria to the surface. Also, because the vapour is so hot, bacteria, as well as anything else, are killed. The results are surfaces that are free of any substances that were not originally on that surface. In addition, because you are cleaning with hot vapour which has a water content of only about 5%, the surface dries extremely quickly and when using steam on the interior of a vehicle, the overall interior will be almost totally dry upon completion.

I have seen the light

After doing some research, I purchased an industrial grade steamer and started experimenting with it. There were certain things I wanted to see if it would do to merit further use. I wanted to be able to safely clean surfaces and not damage leather, plastic trim, fabrics, etc. The steamer not only was safe but very effective. It was also very quick in eliminating some stains and grease, and in cleaning tight areas. I was able to nearly eliminate harsh cleaners while using only steam. Doing so prevents the creation of chemical residues which can attract more dirt. The result is a surface that looks brighter and is actually cleaner. The reduction of chemicals, and some harsh odours they leave behind, will help to satisfy many customers who may be very sensitive to chemical smells. The cost savings will also be impressive to your bottom line.
    Head to heat battle

As you can now clearly see, I am putting my money on the steamer. But, just like me many years ago, I needed to be convinced. If what you have read so far hasn’t swayed you toward steam, then maybe these points will further help you at least investigate steam use
    • The steamer can clean hard surfaces. This is huge. A carpet extractor cannot. Nobody uses an extractor to spray water all over door panels, consoles, cup holders, dashes, leather trim, etc. But I have actually seen detailers use an extractor this way, but it’s wrong and there are so many bad things that can happen if an extractor is used like this
    • The steamer can clean carpets! Yes it can it a great one will do it very well. Many detractors of steam will say the machine cannot clean a carpet. This is NOT true. A great steamer will clean all but the nastiest and grungiest of carpets. There are tricks to creating more wetness with a steamer if you need it on dirty carpets. The detractors also say you need a vacuum to immediately suck up the dirt. This is also NOT true! You DON’T need a vacuum incorporated with a steamer. The steamer will lift the dirt to the top. You can then come back with your own vacuum and suck up the dirt and/or wipe it up with a clean towel. A carpet extractor absolutely needs a vacuum follow up immediately because of the vast amount of water you are laying down. Another myth about steam and carpets is that steam will hurt or ruin the carpet fibres. This is simply not true.
    • A steamer will not leave a carpet or seat soaking wet. You can go over a seat or carpets multiple times without creating anywhere near the wetness of a carpet extractor. Drier interiors will not smell or leave a customer with a wet behind
    • Steam acts as its own blower and air pressure. A good steamer has enough power to blow stuff out into the open so it can be wiped up or vacuumed. There will be no more need to clean with compressed air
    • If you have ever seen steam clean a dash, air vent, cup holder or any hard to reach area, it will basically sell you right there. Its lightning quick, creates hardly any mess, and won’t have you reaching for a new towel every 5 minutes
    • A steamer can clean leather seats. With the correct brush attachment, a steamer will clean leather better than any other method. Just ask a leather guy. They have been using these machines longer than detailers have to prep leather for re-dying, soften it and stretch it to install new pieces, and clean expensive leather couches in people homes. The leather will be left soft and supple with no need for dressing in many cases. This will save tons of time. Steam also WILL NOT burn leather. I have tried and it just doesn’t happen.
    • A steamer can be used to clean windows to perfection, without the streaking often seen from the use of window cleaners. Steam WILL NOT shatter glass either as some people have heard.
    • A steamer does a tremendous job in removing window tint and decals safely and more quickly than any other method. Some detailers also use steamers to remove clear bra film quickly and effectively
    • With a steamer, you are using super heated vapour. Chemicals are kept to a minimum which keeps the interior drier, saves you money and still leaves the inside smelling fresh, not harsh.
    • A steamer absolutely will save you time. The cleaning process is made quicker with the use of its attachments along with the steam itself. You will reap all these benefits of using a steamer with the time savings being an added bonus. Let’s face it. Most of us hate doing interiors. I look at it like housework but it has to get done. Why not do it faster, more effectively and wow your customers at the same time.
    • A steamer can safely and effectively clean a headliner if used correctly.
    • A steamer can get into tight areas like door jambs, seat tracks, under seats, between seats and consoles, air vents and more!
    • A steamer WILL NOT burn paint. Again, I have tried it on scrap panels and also on some very expensive cars by holding the wand in one spot for 30 seconds. Sure, it gets hot but doesn’t burn the clear coat
    So these are just some of the advantages of a steamer over a carpet extractor. But with any machine there has to be some disadvantages……right???

Steamer disadvantages??
    With the right steamer, there are very few disadvantages, if any at all. But here are the common complaints about a steamer. Mind you….these are with the cheaper, homeowner grade units. But let’s examine some of the complaints a detailer may have about a steamer.
    • Some steamers are not hot enough
    • Some steamers lose pressure way too quickly
    • Some steamers have low capacities and need to be refilled often.
    • Some steamers have a very short hose
    • Some steamers have very low pressure and are not too powerful
    • Some steamers have poor brushes or no brushes to clean leather and sensitive areas.
    • Some steamers don’t clean carpets very well
    • Some steamers just don’t last and they can’t be fixed if they break

These are all valid issues with the cheaper steamers. So does that mean you shouldn’t buy one, or that a carpet extractor is better? The disadvantages can be addressed and basically ELIMINATED but…….there is always a but….. right??? It will cost you a little more money.

Don’t be fooled The only thing that will definitely be a disadvantage is if you purchase a cheap steamer. The homeowner or TV advertised units are a waste of money and will never work for detail use. Even some of the machines you see online that are advertised as “commercial” really are not. We know that detailers in general are hard on equipment. We also know you need a piece of equipment to operate all day long, all week long, all year long. You need a heavy duty commercial/industrial unit to tackle the tough jobs and have it work effectively and last for a long time

Here is what I know and want to pass on to you so the same mistakes are not made.
    Over the years I used and tested many different steamers to find the best one for the harsh detailing environment. I was looking for that special one that would deliver superior results, cut time, and stands up to the demands of a busy detailing business. Most were fine for light duty and home use but never measured up to the expectations of prolonged use and my extremely high standards for what a steamer needed to accomplish in my detailing business and for my demanding customers.

I have found that steamer and it’s called the Vapour Chief. It not only met, but far exceeded my expectations. It delivers the extreme power and performance necessary for the professional detailer. To see what sets the Vapour Chief apart from not only the other steamers out there on the market, but also from carpet extractors, you have to first understand the principles steam and what it does to a machine that in time (sometimes a very short time) hurts the unit and helps it to fail.

When you are heating water to such a high pressure and a high heat, it wants to corrode everything. The repeated heating and cooling process accelerate this corrosion. The interior parts and passage ways get corroded and eventually fail. Heating elements have to be built better, boilers have to be better. Hoses need to insulate from the extreme heat. There has to be safety issues built into the machine so it can never over heat. Brushes have to be made better and special brushes are needed for car use that homeowners won’t need.
    We have adapted this machine for detailing and it the best steamer available. It has the most pressure, the highest heat. It’s built to the highest specifications for safety and performance.

And…. we know steam!!! We know what a machine has to do to be great for car use and well it has to be made. We have gone through all the cheaper machines and either broke them or have been hugely disappointed in their performance. I must say I have been the guinea pig for many years and have wasted tons of money on the wrong steamers.

We know how to build this machine. We know how to diagnose any problems, although there rarely are any. We stock parts so that there is little down time if it does need repair.
    You can see that there are so many advantages that steam has over a carpet extractor, but the advantages are even more if the steamer is a great one.

2. tian

tian Virgin Detailer

Thank you for the comparsion. Great information !!

3. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Yes... Thank you for the info. I'm surprised more members havnt left any feedback.

So what are the better machines out there and what can we expect to pay for a good steamer?

4. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for a great write-up and comparison. I am really interested in getting a steamer, it's just tough to spend the money as I know the good ones are pricey. You get what you pay for though.

-Kody-

5. washerwaxer

washerwaxer Any Rag Vehicle Washer

It has some good info. I think the reason there are not a lot of comments is because the article was written by the distributor for the Vapor Chief and comes off as somewhat of an advertisement.

6. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

I read that not too long ago. Good read and has good points. It gives the extractor its dues for heavily soiled carpets and such. Another reason why my extractor will always have a place in the business. Will be picking up a steamer soon to take care of non-caked in carpets...

7. richy

richy Guest

There is an obvious built-in bias when you profit from what you preach. This must be an old article as he is now selling a new boiler-less one for about $2500. He does a good job promoting the use of steam. For me personally, I use a $700 machine that is an extractor as well as a steamer. For me, the best of both worlds and a lot less $$. I can't afford to own a $2500 machine. I also only do this on the side so I can't justify that kind of expense. My Gaia is 2 years old and hasn't given me any real problem. I would replace it tomorrow with the same thing if something were to happen to it. Steam rocks, there is no doubt about it.