Steamer Hose gone Heavy Duty

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Greg Nichols, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

I’ve picked up a steamer for dang cheap and have been looking for one for a VERY long time. I got the VX5000 steamer. I have seen steamers with a web sheathing covering the hose, used to resist abrasions and help it slide easier over the interiors as the hose is coiled and catches. I tried to buy the materials from the guy that makes these sheathings but no go, I understand as he is in it for the $$$ and all the time it took to work out the issues.
    However, I have the time and patience to research this on my own, it took about 10 hours. The materials cost about 40$ to get, much cheaper than replacement of the hose!! I have all the info on what materials, sizes, lengths, amounts, etc. You can email me and I’ll get you the list and contacts. If you are so inclined, any product trades for this info would be welcomed…. SORRY THE PICS ARE POOR, INDOOR LIGHTING.

The steamer hose that needs to be built to heavy duty standards.
    [​IMG]

Here is the webbing used, its expandable and using the correct diameter is the trick. Too small and it wont fit over the ends, too big and the hose moves too much in the web.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You need to pull the webbing over the hose.
    [​IMG]

Slip the plastic shrink wrap over the webbing, getting the correct size and shrink ratio is critical. The hose on this is close to 1” diam, but the ends are closer to 2.25” diam.
    [​IMG]

Get the pieces aligned. Once its starts shrinking its very hard to reposition, and it conforms to the ends.
    [​IMG]

Add heat and shrink down the wrap, be careful not to melt the webbing, it can handle the heat to a point. Make sure you heat evenly, so it tightens down correctly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do both ends. I started with the connector end, then the handle last. Getting the shrink over the handle is tight, and it would be tighter if I had added the shrink to the handle first. I guess it would be near impossible with out tons of swearing and gnashing of teeth!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this is a very good idea for any steamer hose you have, its amazing how beat up the hose got the few times I used it, before I got all my supplies and built this up.

Hope this helps you!

Cheers,
    GREG

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Looks good!

I also have the VX5000 but to be honest looking at the hose I never once thought that it wouldn't hold up... Mine has a few slight kinks but nothing that seems to impair operation even the slightest...

3. tors

tors Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Very cool idea Greg, would love to have this done to my soon-to-be VX5000. How do you like the VX5000 so far? Any regrets?

4. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I think it is a great machine, and it perfect for interior detailing...

5. Greg Nichols

Its working like a champ, the hose easily slides on interior and exterior surfaces and does not catch.

This is not a busy part of the forum I would have expected more replies and views..........

Cheers,
    GREG

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I've been thinking about this idea on and off since you posted it... starting to think it might be worthwhile... hmmmmmmm

7. Greg Nichols

Some PM have come it about how I like the steamer, I love it the price/ power is amazing.

Cheers,
    GREG

8. Junk

Junk Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'v been thinking about one of these for a long time but just can't quite pull the trigger on the purchase button. Can you post some pict's of before and afters of something really dirty to show off what it can do. I've watched their video's but not the greatest camera used. "Show me the Money!"

9. Greg Nichols

Here is a filthy interior and leather cleaning. I used no chemicals other than the carpet and had to extract them after a steaming. The steaming really loosened up the grime, but this was deep down dirty. The leather was SUPER easy to clean and the time savings was noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    GREG

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I agree Greg, the VX5000 is an amazing unit for the price... I don't think I could ever detail without it again.

11. Sorry to bump this old thread but does anybody know what the OP used on his hose?

12. Greg Nichols

I will have to get time to round up the materials list.

Cheers,
    GREG

13. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Greg -
    Excellent work and information ! I have seen these hoses on Renny Doyle's site but he wants huge bucks for them and the machine I think.
    Would also love to do this to my VX5000's steamer hose; sent you a PM
    Thanks for taking the time to do the research, work, and take and post pics for us !! :)

Dan F

14. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I would love to do this to my metro vac hose!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

15. K3RMiTdot

K3RMiTdot DB Forum Supporter

damn thts crazy!!

16. Greg where's that info!!!

17. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

If Greg gives his blessing I have the original email he sent me with all the info.

18. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

19. habeba86

habeba86 Virgin Detailer