Stain while claying

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by SouthwestShine, Oct 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SouthwestShine

SouthwestShine Virgin Detailer

A few months ago I clayed/polished/waxed my 2008 Mercedes C300. Just as I was starting the clay process, I noticed a blotchy stain on the hood. I discovered that what I thought was quick detail mist was actually a spray wax bottle, and it appears that the spray wax and clay had a chemical reaction that stained the paint. With a new clay bar and quick detail, I did the rest of the car no problem.

I've been working and going to school full time so I have neglected the problem, but I've finally got some time to address it (and a few others). Any tips on how to remove the stain and product recommendations? I can post pics but it is very hard to see except at certain angles in certain lighting conditions. Thanks to all in advance!

2. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

SouthwestShine ---

Sorry to hear about what happened to your beautiful car. So, tell me, when you noticed what happened (the spraywax/clay part), and you polished back over this, what were you using? a machine? which one? what product to polish? What color is the paint ?
    I have never had any type of claybar reaction like this - what kind of spray wax were you using? Were you doing this outside in the sun? was the hood temperature hot?

Fill in the blanks please, and we can all get our heads together and come up with some advice for you, ok ?
    Dan F

3. SouthwestShine

SouthwestShine Virgin Detailer

Hi Dan,

I wiped the excess spray away with a MF, then polished using Meguiars (I no longer have the bottle so don't know the exact type) and waxed with Meguiars NXT wax (I know I'm in need of an upgrade with product, I'm just starting to get into using pro-quality stuff). Polish and wax was applied with a 7" orbital buffer from Sears with terry bonnets (again, need an upgrade here). The "oops" spray wax was Meguiars spray wax. The car is steel grey, the stain does not appear to be the result of any scratching or marring, but a discoloration in the paint.

The rest of the car actually turned out quite well with these products, I do baby it and it lives in the garage so there were no major scratches or imperfections.

Again, thanks for your help!