Splotchy rubber trim?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by liverbomb88, Feb 3, 2009.

1. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Virgin Detailer

Hi, noob here. I have a MB C350 that I recently sent through an auto car wash, and my black rubber seals around the windows turned splotchy. Water, onr, laundry detergent, vegetable oil all didn't work. Wondering if experts can first tell me why it turned mottled, and second how to get rid of it. I'm thinking of trying 303, but not sure if that will work. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
  2. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

3. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

i have the same thing on my Supra, but being an 87, i assumed it was just fading of the paint. I use a trim gloss type of stuff that we have at work (distributed by Kar Glo, called Clear Gloss) that hides it really well and gives all the rubber a real nice even matte finish after you buff the stuff off.

OOH, just remembered, griots sells this stuff called rubber prep, i havent tried it yet, but its supposed to make any rubber surface like new, maybe give that a try and follow with their vinyl and rubber dressing?

4. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Try Lexol Vinylex.

I recently did a 2002 Dodge Ram with black plastic mirror housings. Stoner Trim Shine - my usual "go to" for black plastic - left it looking all splotchy. Vinylex fixed it right up.

It's one of my favorite products, and one that I've been using for many years. Less expensive than 303, and easier to find.

5. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

Darn any of you guys know why 1z Gummi can't be shiped to cali?

6. TheJag

cuz california has really stupidly strict fun sucking regulations. thank god i live in oregon!

7. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

haha im pretty sure California has way better weather ;) yes we do have craszy regulations :/

8. TheJag

haha yea, you get the weather, we get fireworks, firearms, and all the cars and products you dont! haha, let me know if you wana ship it to me then i can ship it to you, wouldnt be a big deal really

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The reason it turned splotchy was from the chemicals in the wash. I see it all the time as we have a few touchless carwashes in town here. Poorboys Trim Restorer works very well.

10. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

This is an interesting thread. I've been trying to find cures for faded trim, and rubber type seals or trims. Black Wow may be an option also. Most products mask the problem, very few if any cure them. Depending on the composition, some can be eliminated for good. Let us know how it turns out for you .

11. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

303 Aerospace has worked for us in the past on most of the VAG rubber trim ;)

12. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Most of these materials go splotchy because of the materials in car wash soaps from touchless and self serve coin op bays and even professional products
    Many are not UV stable (ford XR5 mondeo top window trims are one) which cannot take the aussie sun

The following products will fix this

Clearkote Vanilla moose - a great deoxidiser for interior and exterior seals and moldings
    Glare Vinyl & polish products
    Ultra gloss superpolish
    Werkstatt acrylic jett - repolymerises the material

The urethane ones (hard opaque ones) come up an absolute gem with my trim dream glass based burnish and sealant but it doesn't work on every trim material

13. liverbomb88

Just want to thank everyone for their responses. A friend had some 303, and it worked in removing all of the blotches. Rained today, so sorry for not having after pix. I will never send any of my cars through an auto wash ever again!

14. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Certain trims i can restore to look as good as new, depending what composition. I have a 93 Integra, the side mouldings i cannot restore, unless i take my Flex at max speed and basically melt the outer layer prior to the pad chewing it up, it comes out nice if you know the process. The trims around the windows is easy. Constantly yanking pieces off cars in junk yards to practice to find a cure. Anyone else experiment ?

15. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

I guess a good APC to clean and Black WOW to dress will fix it?:D

16. liverbomb88

OK, here's a picture of it now, and clearly the splotches have not come back.

Attached Files:

• 303.jpg
      303.jpg
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
  17. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

you may want to the Leatheriqique black trim dye. it is supposed to be a permanent fix as it is a dye.:mounty:

18. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Is the dye something you have used ? I 've heard about dyes, but i'm somewhat hesitant in fear of it maybe running or leaching onto the paint. My car is white by the way. Thanks again for the tip.

19. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Just found a natural aussie made cleaner called Green Aussie cleaner, tried it neat with foam pad on my splotchy trim (top of the doors which are vinyl) and it easily cleaned the soap damage and carbon right off, from there I can repolymerise them with my acrylic polymer spray blend of Werkstatt acrylic Jett trigger and Aussie Gold Showroom glaze spray sealant (body shop safe)

20. Kron

Kron Two Bucket System Washer

No, You should only use black wow on hard plastics. If used on supple rubber you run the risk of it turning hard and eventually brittle.