Spit Shining - with Glasur

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Max405, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Max405

Max405 DB Forum Supporter

Hi guys,
    1st let me say, Zymol Glasur is really growing on me. Dont get me wrong I am still a huge fan of Swissvax. Its nice to have a couple of LSP's to move around to. It kind of depends on how you feel at the moment. Sunday morning, I felt like a Pina Colada, so I applied Glasur.

The car needed a very light washing. I waxed close to a month ago (Swissvax Zuffenhausen) so it really didnt need another waxing. Perfect time to waste more product!

I applied the Glasur thinly over the front fenders and hood. Waited a couple of minutes and removed. Then the doors and roof, waited a couple of minutes and removed. Then I finished the trunk and the rear quarters the same way. Finished up around 11am. Let it sit in the garage the whole rainy day.

At around 4pm, I grabbed the bottle of distilled water I've been chilling and the Glasur and had a little more fun. I misted the front fenders, one at a time. Then dabbed the pad into the pot of Glasur and started rubbing it into the finish. I noticed the surface of the car was taking the coat of wax very well. Nice and even and effortless. I let it sit for 5 minutes. then I removed. I didnt notice a difference immediately. But I did the other fender and hood the same way, mist with Ice cold water and apply Glasur with the wet surface. Waited 5 minutes and removed. I was done.

At around 11pm, I went back out onto the garage and ignited the 6000 watts of light. Guys, I was blown away with what I saw. The fenders had a sealant type of shine. Very deep and very glassy. To the touch, the surface really smooth and the wax felt "hard", not sticky. I will try and take pictures tonite. I am not sure I'll be able to capture the difference. Its more about the feel of it and the way pops at any angle.

So for my 1st try at spitshining, I was really impressed. I felt it was NOT a waste of time and effort.

Thanks to the post about 8 coats of wax on the Audi for this inspiration.

By the way, Glasur does not sweat at all. It is as easy if not easier than any other carnuba I've ever worked with. It is buttery, with no grit to it at all. Goes on easy (easier than Swissvax) and comes off as easy. In fact, it comes off as easy as Blackfire sealant. Thats saying alot! It has changed my mind about the finicky nature of Zymol waxes forever! Love it.

Thanks for reading. Joe D.

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

what no pictures....:thumb:

3. Evotune

Evotune Virgin Detailer

So spitshining is applying second layer of wax with water on car ? And removal is also with water, or dry ?

4. swest0223

swest0223 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Glasur is the bomb... been using it for two years now! Highest carnauba content for the price in the Zymol range. They also make Field Glaze, which Zymol reccommend that you use to even out the wax after it cures as a "final buff" stage. Works fantasticly for that as well as topping off the wax at shows, etc.

5. Max405

Thats what I think it is. The water should be ice cold. You remove it - the wax and any remaining beaded up water..

Yeah, I am digging on the Field glaze too. I must say, there products have gotten better over time. Or, I've become more adept at reading the instructions!!

I am not as handsome you big Phil. I'll get pics going asap.

6. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

"The fenders had a sealant type of shine. Very deep and very glassy."

Not trying to be a smart ass, but why not just use a sealant and save the wax if your looking for a hard candy shine. BTW spit shinning is more than ice water and 1 coat of wax. What you are doing is dissolving the solvents so that it doesn't remove the previous layer. Spit shinning takes multible coats and too me its not worth the time and effort.

7. Max405

I knew this was going to happen.
    What you think spit shining is, your probably right. Lets call what I did, "Improving the look of the car by putting 2 coats of Glasur with some ice cold water in between coats".

The prior explanations of spit shing were a little hard for me to understand. Thanks for your clarification.

Joe D.