Sonus clay hard as a rock

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by armenakadino, Apr 7, 2011.

1. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

I was wondering if I am the only one with the issue I ordered sonus clay a few months back and the clay was harder than a rock I called they said it was a bad batch. They sent me some fresh clay same problem. My problem while it's not as hard as the first batch its no where near as pliable as griots garage it won't conform to the panel I can do a panel and the finger imprints are still there from folding the clay. Is there any other better options than that clay.

2. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Yeah.... I got 3 packs of the "new" Sonus clay and honestly I am extremely disappointed.... I mean everyone on this forum kept saying how it's the finest clay you can buy so I figured it had to be good.

All I know is that the Blackfire Polyclay II that I have is a million times softer and more enjoyable to use. Maybe the original green version was softer....but I guess you can't find out since you can't buy it anymore.

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I have the sonus and griot's clay and they are both great. But I have experienced this as well although it was with the griot's clay not the sonus. What I did was soak it in some clay lube and kept on kneeding it. After a bit it got soft again and easier to work with.

4. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

where are you storing it? and what kind of temperatures are at your place.
    I dont think it should go hard as rock :S

5. Kaban

I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Still frustrating because I never needed to soak anything with the BF clay. It was very nice right out of the box.

6. Kaban

I store mine in about 65-70 F degree temperature. Is that considered too cold?

7. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I have read that ppl simply soak harder clay in warm water before their details.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

8. armenakadino

I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes then started using it. For about a minute it was like the griots clay. Then it got hard as a rock right after it started to cool

Does anyone know when the clay patent expires so I can get some proper japanese or riccardo clay

9. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

A big thing to remember when storing your clay is you must spritz in some clay lube in whatever container you are storing it in.

10. armenakadino

This new batch just came In the mail today

11. Kaban

Just get the Blackfire clay man. On mine it says "made in Japan" and you can order it right here from Proper Auto Care. It's around $24.99 for a large 200g chunk of clay. So it's not much more expensive then any other clay.

12. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Kaban, isn't the Blackfire Clay aggressive?

13. Kaban

No, not at all. Out of all the clay I have it's my favorite by far.

What do you consider aggressive? I have a few of the Detailed Image Medium grade clay bars that are like 10X harder then the BF. No joke, those DI medium clays are designed for Hulk because I could barely fold it or do anything with it.

BF clay is extremely pliable and very easy to work with. I can fold it to a new clean side with one hand it's so soft.

14. Kaban

All this clay talk is making me hungry. I think I'm gonna order a few more bars of that BF clay in the very near future.

15. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

My bad! Thought I read somewhere that it was aggressive.

16. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

I use riccardo, i'm assuming you are based out of the States though? For a super mild clay, the mothers/meguiars do the trick.

17. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I had some zaino clay that was super hard, and I took a warm wet cloth and wrapped the clay in it for about 5 min (still in plastic) and it was fine.

18. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

i will throw some clay of different aggresiveness into my fridge sometime and see how they fair afterwards just to see if temperature plays a role (and if non recoverable when it reaches room temps again)
    a detailer's science lesson lulz

and why this will be interesting is cuz shipping can sometimes mean it gone thru some extreme temps.

19. armenakadino

is there any canadians that got an extra stick of riccardo yellow laying around I just need one piece to hold me off until the patent expires im just sick of spending money on bad clay

20. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

plus who knows how long its been sitting around........... before shipping.