Sonax Full Effect vs Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dsmith2013, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dsmith2013

dsmith2013 Virgin Detailer

I got my hands on some severely neglected Audi wheels and figured this would be a perfect time for a direct comparison of Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner and Sonax Full Effect. I let each dwell for an equal amount of time and then agitated it with a boar's hair brush.

Sonax Full Effect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my opinion, the performance was identical. There were some embedded particles on the wheels that neither cleaner removed. I was pressed for time and was only able to allow each of the cleaners to dwell for a little over two minutes. I think a longer dwell time might have put a larger dent in it, but I dont think anything short of claying would remove it completely. However, I would give a slight edge to Adam's because it smells better, but other than that the price point is almost identical with Sonax at $0.5914 per ounce and Adam's at $0.6246 per ounce.

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

very nice write up.

just want to make sure you have the correct facts. Sonax is sold in 5 liters so it would be 1.32 gallons, Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner is sold in gallons.

If you work out the numbers it should look like the below for costs per ounce.

Sonax 5 liter = 1.32 gallons = 169 ounces = $99.95 ($0.5914 per ounce x 169 = $99.95)

Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner 1 gallon = 128 ounces = $79.95 ($0.6246 per ounce x 128 = $79.95)

3. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Thanks, I really enjoy write ups like these. They are the most valuable information available, that of the educated consumer.

I of course am assuming that you are unbiased. Aren't you?

4. detailersdomain

I sell both so you can choose whichever one your heart desires ; )

5. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

is the color of adams the same as the detail spray?I want to try it but I'm just concerned I will grab the wheel cleaner and use it as details right by mistake it looks like the same color

6. dsmith2013

Phil, thank you for correcting me on that. I was too worried about taking pictures and didn't realize it was 5 liters. Now that makes this even more interesting because the price points are almost identical. I will correct my post to reflect the price.

I am absolutely unbiased. I did this experiment to find out for myself which product actually works better. And now that I realize both are almost exactly the same price and provide the same results, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The bottle is a 36 oz frosted looking bottle that is shorter than their original 36oz, and I believe it would be almost impossible to mix them up.

7. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

does detail spray even come in 36 oz?

8. dsmith2013

Yes, but it is in a clear non-frosted bottle that is taller than the Deep Wheel Cleaner.

9. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Good writeup dude!

10. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I agree cause I don't use the bottles product comes in. I can't wait to try Adam's wheel cleaner in may once I can start detailing again.

11. wong05tsx

wong05tsx DB Forum Supporter

A few things I noticed when comparing the two:

Adam's smells much much much better than Sonax. (Cherry)

I noticed Adam's was a little foam-ier, than the Sonax, but both worked equally as well for me as well.

For those who got the presale through Adam's, it was a great deal. I snagged two :)

12. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

yeah the problem is I only use the kwasar bottles.I always transfer from The Adams.the only other thing is I would have to label the whole entire bottlestating 4 wheel use only

13. kodexkustoms

kodexkustoms Virgin Detailer

I was just asking about this! I'm glad to see it's a pretty close comparison but I think I'm gonna stick to my tried and true Sonax.

14. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

nice comparison, thanks OP

but definitely have to let the Sonax FE sit longer.

15. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

great write up, been waiting for one of these. Have both products and fe has always been my go to, cant wait to get back and try a test of my of :D

16. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

Would IRONX take that remnant off, without having to clay I wonder?

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I tested these two today and found the same thing. The Adams works every bit as well as the Sonax and smells way nicer. I let it dwell for 3 or 4 minutes as I normally do and it cleaned up a set of wheels I was working on very nicely.

18. Tweaked

Tweaked Two Bucket System Washer

I'm curious of this myself. I'd image that the brake material built up in the clear would require a very long dwell time to touch it.

Great thread OP.

19. WashMe

WashMe DB Forum Supporter

20. detailersdomain

we will be getting some soon to test out.