Sonax full effect stain wheels?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by minorc, Jun 18, 2012.

1. minorc

minorc Two Bucket System Washer

I cleaned my wheels with Sonax the other day, they are white wheels.
    I sprayed on dry, let the product sit for 2-3 mins then agitated with my swissvax brush. I might have let it sit for too long because now the wheels are lighly stained purple, Any suggestions on how to remove this? I've tried 50/50APC and 50/50IPA with no results.

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

was it hot.

you definitely didn't rinse it down well, because it won' t stain. I have let Sonax set up for 30-40 minutes with no issues.

3. minorc

Phil, It wasn't overly hot, windy maybe 21C.
    I tried spraying more sonax on it, but it didn't change color, and didn't remove the stain.

I rinsed it down with my pressure washer, I "thought" I rinsed it well enough..

4. minorc

5. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Are those wheels clear coated?

6. minorc

This formulation is also effective and safe for use on painted wheels andwill not deteriorate clear coats

Where are you going with this?:
    As far as I know they were painted with white ceramic paint and then cleared.
    Factory 04 sti bbs

7. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

well, as a LAST resort, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser should do the trick... :giggle:

Maybe try claying it? I doubt it would work for THIS, but I have had clay remove discoloration from paint sitting exposed in the sun for too long...

8. minorc

Never tried the magic eraser before, could be worth a try. I've clayed paint transfer before but never anything like this.

9. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

I just used a Magic Eraser on my moms 98 Volvo V70 that has never once seen wax and almost never has seen a wash even! Although I would still advise obvious caution and care be taken, I could not see any ill-effects from its use. and it worked very well at cleaning the car up when it was used with Wolf's Decon.

10. minorc

Well I guess I'll have to try claying, or this magic eraser.
    Hope it comes off

11. bakchoi

bakchoi Birth of a Detailer

Try a chemical paint cleaner like KLASSE AIO.

12. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Or a light polish, maybe...?

13. minorc

Polishing by hand sucks, polishing wheels sucks more... lol, thanks guys

14. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I'd agree with the above. The wheels are old and look a little tired. I've seen other products leave staining on oxidized white before and it usually polishes out.

15. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

Im going to try and play wheel CSI
    Lets say the wheels were stained with brake dust and repainted over because the dealerships or previous wheel cleaner could not cut it they get some curb rash refurbed and painted never to be seen again till the day you spray sonax on it and reacts with the remaining brake under the paint and the results are what you see
    Case sloved sonax found not guilty

And those wheels do look a bit worn could be something to do with the top layer

16. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

If you do anything, I would recommend this order:

-Paint Cleaner
    -Light Polish
    -Compound, multiple passes if necessary
    -Magic Eraser(last resort, I wouldn't personally recommend it.)

My guess would be that the top layer oxidized. The oxidized layer would stain, but not the fresh paint underneath so it should be a pretty simple removal.

17. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

yup I would agree didn't realize they were pretty beat up.

I would have cleaned them clayed them polished them and then protect them

18. minorc

Wow! Thanks alot fellas, I'll try a polish this week and see how it goes.

19. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I haven't had that happen to my wheels and I have the same ones as you ;) /\/\

20. minorc

Should I just use a green pad with some uf4000 or similar by hand ?