Some Craigslist Ads That Scare .

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Mr. Shine, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Mr. Shine

Mr. Shine Birth of a Detailer

While cruising detailing ads at 2:45 am (Philly Time) on Craigslist I found a few in my area that......well.....let's just say that they instill confidence.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way making fun of these individuals' method of making money, however sometimes there are no words to describe somethings.

EXAMPLE #1-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEAN CAR AUTO DETAILING SERVICE - WE COME TO YOU - TO YOUR HOME AND DETAIL YOUR AUTO/ SUV/TRUCK/VAN/MOTORCYLE/JET SKI.

HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE WITH HIGH END VEHICLES SUCH AS: ROLLS ROYCE, BENTLEY, ASTON MARTIN, LAMBORGHINI, PORSCHE, FERRARI, JAGUAR, BMW, MERCEDES BENZ ETC

*********WEEKLY AND BI-WEEKLY SERVICES AVAILABLE **********

ACCESS TO WATER AND ELECTRICITY NEEDED( WE BRING EXTENSION CABLES AND A HOSE IF NEEDED)

WE ARE NOT YOUR AVERAGE MOBILE DETAILER, USING A PRESSURE WASHER TO WASH YOUR CAR-- WE HAND WASH, USING SPONGES AND BRUSHES
    THE DIFFERENCE IS CLEAR-THE QUALITY OF OUR WORK IS SUPERIOR TO ANY MOBILE DETAILER

BUYING / SELLING / GETTING READY FOR THE WEEKEND / WANT TO IMPRESS FRIENDS ???
    JUST CALL US AND YOUR AUTO/ TRUCK/SUV WILL BE SPARKLING CLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE USE TOP OF THE LINE WAXES AND CLEANING PRODUCTS.

WE WILL LEAVE YOUR AUTO IN LIKE NEW CONDITION- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!

WE WASH, POLISH CHROME , WAX (USING caranuba WAX), CLEAN (VACUUM) INTERIOR,DRESS TIRES,BUMPERS, ARMOR ALL, CONDITION LEATHER, SHAMPOO CARPETS, CLEAN SEATS AND CARPETING. REMOVE STAINS (COFFEE, JUICES , MAKE-UP-ETC.)

WE OFFER A FULL DETAIL SERVICE WHICH INCLUDES :
    1- HAND WASH EXTERIOR COMPLETELY
    2- CLEAN EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR WINDOWS
    3- TIRES & EXTERIOR DRESSING
    4- WAX ENTIRE VEHICLE WITH TEFLON/CARNUABA USING BUFFER
    5- SHINE HEAD LIGHTS / BRAKE LIGHTS
    6- CLEAN UPHOLSTRY/ VINYL/ LEATHER
    7- VACUUM INTERIOR AND TRUNK
    8- CLEAN AND CONDITION LEATHER
    9- DUST AND ARMORALL INTERIOR COMPLETLY
    10-REMOVE ODORS
    11-DEODERIZE VEHICLE INTERIOR
    ....... ALL THIS STARTING AT JUST $ 85. 00

S.U.V. STARTING @ $100.00
    INTERIOR CLEANING DETAIL : CLEAN SEATS, VACUUM, CLEAN DEGREASE DOORS AND DUST INTERIOR @ $50

[B]EXAMPLE #2--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/B]

Hi, I am a certified automotive tech, I will do any auto work needed such as brakes, oil changes, engine fluid leaks, batteries, check engine light diagnosis, no starts etc. Have experience and access to all tools . Specialize in import cars such as Mercedes, Saab, BMW, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche, Honda, Nissan and all domestic makes. Bring an estimate and I will beat any auto shop prices! I also offer custom interior work and full in and out detailing as well, ask about it if interested very affordable prices. Will come to your location.

EXAMPLE #3---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer Auto Detailing at a great price.

Cars - $75 flat rate
    SUVs-$85 flat rate
    AND we come to you, all you need is to tell us your location!!

Get your car, truck, or SUV looking like new for the summer. This is also a great way to get your car ready to sell or trade-in. I am available any day of the week to come detail your car at your home or arrange for a pick-up/drop-off. Detailing includes:

WASH / WAX / VACUUM / INTERIOR CLEANING / BUG & TAR REMOVAL / WINDOWS / WHEELS / TIRE DRESSING

Satisfied Customer References are available upon request.

EXAMPLE #4----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*PROFESSIONAL MOBILE AUTO DETAILING/HOME PRESSURE CLEANING

*FULL DETAIL FOR ONLY $75.00, INSIDE AND OUT!!

*HOME PRESSURE CLEANING

WE HAVE THE CHEAPEST RATES!
    FREE ESTIMATES!

EXAMPLE #5-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AUTO DETAILING , STATE INSPECTION/ EMISSION, AUTO REPAIR WORK
    24 HR

EXAMPLE #6-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PROFESSIONAL AUTO DETAILING WITH VERY REASONABLE PRICES

STARTING @ 65.00 A CAR

WE ARE MOBILE AND ALL WE NEED FROM YOU IS WHERE TO AND WHAT TIME TO GET THERE.

EXAMPLE #7------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is a full detail inside and out everything gets cleaned and shined your satisfaction is guaranteed. Just drop your car off and in a few hours it will be as if your pulling it off the lot, and I supply all the tools and chemicals to do the job. Note: This detail package is the same, if not better then any dealership that charges much higher prices. Will beat any competitor prices. We also can come to you

Complete Full Detail Package $50

- Vacuum Interior

- Shampoo Carpets/ Floor Mats (take all stains out)

- Upholstery Cleaner (seats and ceiling)

- Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

- Clean Dash & Interior Panels (remove all marks and dust)

- Armor ALL (Dash and center console)

- Clean Wheel Well's

- Clean Door Jams

- Clean Engine Compartment

- Car Wash Soap

- Buffing Compound (takes scratches out)

- Hand Wax (micro fiber towel)

- Clean & Polish Rims

- Tire Shine

- Windex Windows

Available Garage for Rainy Days

Scary Huh?

2. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Man talk about being a jack of all trades and a Master of none, I loved the Mechanic that also Details......Yea right, that goes together like oil-n-water:giggle:

3. richy

richy Guest

You can easily see how a gullible person would be confused about our prices when they read those ads. The average person just isn't going to know the difference. If you are up against this type of competition, EDUCATION IS THE KEY! You must educate them as to what they get for a Craig's List detail and a DB quality one. Sal ran into this and you can see why.

4. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I'm glad you didn't come across my Craigslist ad and put it on there..lol...

5. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Lol^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seriously though, should we be so quick to judge? :angel:

How many of us started out the same way?(Those who are in this for a living anyway:hmph:)

:shead:Maybe instead of casting stones we should cast a life line, why not respond to these ads explaining what WE are all about. Tell them to come join us @ Detailing Bliss.org It could help both you and them, I have dealt with lowballers for 28 years, have always been higher then others even back when everyone basically used the same methods.

I guess my point is if we could educate others who are getting in this business, then maybe eventually people won't be giving us the weird eye when we quote are prices.:giggle:

I looked at the Memphis areas CL and only saw 1 detailer advertising, I don't know him but if he can perform as good as he can type/make cool phrases then he already knows whats up.

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

This is nothing new. We all know that car "detailing" is one of these jobs where the barriers of entry are very low, and with just a small investment, you can start making money right away. Apart from the quality of work, the difference is that these people are usually in a bind from a financial perspective and need to make, say $500 dollars to pay a bill. They'll do a few cars, and then disappear from the face of the earth.

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

very scary...There is no way I'd let one of them to detail my car...

8. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Haha wow, with the amount of work I put in yesterday that'd be like 7 dollars an hour which includes the cost of products.

9. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I do not provide a price on my CL ad, it is clearly stated that each car is priced differently depending on what service is required of me. I also state that I am not the cheapest price in town, but will provide the best results possible through the quality of my work and supplies used.

10. Mr. Shine

You state a very interesting point. However, if we all did the same quality of work, how would we be able to price accordingly. It is our own individual skills that sets us apart from the rest of the pack. Each of us has something that we can call our own special trademark. This is why we can charge a rate that is considered my many as high. Uniform pricing in this business is not possible. There are far too many variants in a particular situation. We are all artists. That is what people are paying for....unique artwork painted on an autombile canvas. Let your work speak for itself. People in general can tell when somthing is one of a kind, and thanks largely to human greed, they will pay top dollar to ensure that they have something that no one else has (or can possibly afford for that matter).

Case-in-point: Today I completed a 3-step paint correction and interior work on a 2005 GTI in black for the son of a CEO of a very successful corporation here in the city. When the vehicle was returned to him this afternoon, the quality of work was so evident to the son and father that I have now booked four other vehicles from that family. This was all based on presentation. I have come to find this as a very common situation in the fact that, simply put, people want what others cannot have.

Not for nothing, if someone wants to throw some money down on a high quality detail, then by god, pick it up and give them something to be proud of.

11. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Mr. Shine ... I am always looking at ads in the Philly Craigslist ... Have you seen the ones for Franny's Floor Mats? For every ad that mechanic posts, there's 5 people posting not to go there ... lol

12. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Intresting Points made, however over a 30 year career I have trained literally Dozens of employees how to properally detail a car. If someone has what it takes, all they need is a little guidance, having said that, I have also let go all most as many who simply don't have the eye or the patience for this line of work.So I don't quite understand why you wouldn't want to try and help someone out by referring them here are talking with them in person. What could it hurt accept maybe your bottom line(Competition) :gasp:

I feel like I could train a Monkey to detail, if I can convince him theres a Bannana at the end :giggle:

13. Mr. Shine

....exactly right. Having a passion for something is one thing.....food on the table is completely different.

I understand the fact of trying to guide these individuals on their quest to become a successful business owner. Humans in general are sympathic creatures. We want to help the smaller, lesser fortunate. We have a conscience......and when it comes to the topic of business (and only business) this is mankinds greatest flaw. Losing sight of the primary objectives established in the conceptual stage of planning has led to the failure of so many businesses time and time again.

A business has to be strong. Able to withstand the termoils of multiple factors. (Economy, inflation, H/R and admin issues, and financial hiccups to name a few) Wise planning on the part of all individuals involved is what lays the foundtion of a sound company.

Believe me, I have been there as well as many others. As an instructor myself I agree that many individuals that want to become true detailers believe they can do the job, however only a small fraction actually have the 'eye' for it. To find a person who actually has the gift are few and far between. These are the individuals that are the ones worth devoting the time to train correctly and mold into a worker that will benefit your organization. This now leaves the unfortunate remainder, which must be moved on. Let's take the example of magic and magicians. (don't worry....I'm going somewhere with this) How many magicians perform a trick or illusion, and then are receptive to reveal the elaborate workings to the audiance? Not many, if any. Too much hard work and dedication went into the creation and presentaion for a magician to just give it all away. To pass information of this nature along, they will choose an apprentance, spend years training and crafting this individual in the ways of the trade. As I have stated before, detailing is a skilled art form and we are all artists. Some of us are Rembrant's and Monet's creating a name that will be known. Others are fingerpainting construction paper that mom hangs on the kitchen fridge, but artists none the less we are.

Now I am in no way saying that I would not help someone when the situation was presented to me. Help is help. I would never turn away someone inquiring for help, however I am not going to give some of my most guarded knowleage away. This is a bad buisness practice. More importantly, I most certinally would not go looking for individuals to help. I am not Robin Hood. My responsibilities do not include training the lesser fortunate how to run their bucket and brush operation. Time is valuable and proboly better spent as time is a commodity that not many have stock in.

No disrespect intended and one professional to another.....You may feel like you could train a Monkey to detail, if you can convince him theres a Bannana at the end.......but just remember you are still working with a monkey.

14. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Love It^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:applause2:

The 1 reason I have never had a problem showing others my entire methods/product lines is because I know that knowing the proper way is only 1/2 tha battle(and I explain this also) and maybe Helping Others is just a personallity trait that I am Blessed with. :angel:

:shead:You still have to figure out ways to get the customer in the door in the 1st place, and with this it requires that 20% "Used Car Salesman" you mentioned, Except I might put that part at 40% :giggle:

I see your concerns about putting food on the table, I myself Trust in the Lord to provide all my needs, and guess what? He Does:worship2:

15. Mr. Shine

I agree very much.

Matthew 6:31-34

It's funny that you say that......I always thought I would make a good used car salesman.:D

16. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

nice lol

i like #5

they call detail what we call car wash i guess. lol at those ppl

best advertisement is word of mouth from satisfied customers

17. wykidls8

wykidls8 Virgin Detailer

well i hate to revive a thread but i came across a post today that led to this site: wwwalohamobiledetailing.com this guy used to come into a place where i used to work all the time and wash the owners car. he is a joke. please view his gallery and read his google reviews. sorry if i offended anybody.

18. Domman56

Domman56 Birth of a Detailer

I'm a mechanic and a detailer I don't see the big problem I've always had a passion for working on my cars and I grew up with a dad that used to own a detailing business so it's not really that surprising to me:shead:

19. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

yeah i am in the same boat. i picked up wrench way before i picked up a rotary or wash mitt. my love of cars has taken me through almost every aspect of autos. i can pretty much build/rebuild a car from a basket(done that a few times lol). i guess it was progression, i would build a car, have it painted and would like the finish. i wanted that flat mirror image and no orange peal, so i sought some one to teach me because i wasnt satisfied with what i was paying for. once i figured out what to do, i took further than other people would. it led me to many trophies for best paint, best pearl(single color), and other car show awards. i wouldnt be so fast to dismiss a mechanic as being able to detail. i'll give any mechanic or detailer a run for their money