soft clear coat?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by oldcracker, Mar 27, 2010.

1. oldcracker

oldcracker Jedi Nuba

so my car got keyed and refinished a little while ago

I noticed even claying with sonus green will mar the paint, then after polishing it to swirl free, just a light wash put light swirls on the paint

is it because the shop used cheap materials which caused the clear coat to be so soft?

2. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

What was repainted, that one panel or the whole car?

Is it metallic or non metallic?

3. oldcracker

oldcracker Jedi Nuba

it's metallic

key marks were on the rear quarter panel and hood

so rear quarter panel, passenger door and hood was what they called 'refinished'

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

'Soft’ (refinished) paint - this is usually due to not using the correct reducers / hardeners for the temperature the paint is to be sprayed and cured at, or the painter uses an incorrect mixture for a three part clear or there are contaminants on the paint surface or could be silicon contamination or a strong solvent 'softening' the paint film

Correction - use a chemical paint cleaner like Sonax (PrepSol or Hi-Temp Silicone Remover, to remove silicone). Use very soft foam (LC Black finishing pad) and a mildly aggressive polish as this type of ‘paint’ easily shows surface marring etc

5. oldcracker

oldcracker Jedi Nuba

what if it wasn't due to silicone contamination?

what can I do then?

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Go back to the shop and get them to redo it...

7. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

i found that sonus and any light clay marred my car's paint on the repainted panels. its most likely softer then the oem clear.

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

They may have not used enough / the correct hardner in the clear coat

9. shazam

shazam Any Rag Vehicle Washer

this happened to my G... the repair was shit and caused the paint to peel