So what's ur edge story?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Dust2Glory, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

So I was talking to a buddy tonight and we were talking about edge pads and what not and he shared a couple stories about his "edge" experience... just wondering what others were with edge?

I had a couple Schmitts that lasted 3 months, I contacted Egde... they told me to buy another pad!!! The only good thing I got from Edge were the wheel schmitts, they have lasted a long time!

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have been happy with my ShMITTS so far. I have the all-white ones and the white/yellow ones. I have four of them and am only on my second one...

3. Jimmie

Jimmie Birth of a Detailer

I'm on my second ShMitt in a year but something wierd is after my first one separated I cut off the backing and all of the glue. I love washing with just the face part. Still going.

4. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

bought all of the 2000 pads and waffle weave. Edge adapter failed, sent it in for replacement, failed again.

Pads would snap in half.

5. Alan

Alan Virgin Detailer

A few of my pads busted in the middle plastic layer, rendering them useless. They wouldnt replace the pads. The adapter also failed, and I had to buy a new one. Thankfully Phil's sending me the LC CCS pads in the mail. My Schmitt is startign to come apart at the glue, although I like how it cleaned.

6. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

so far so good for me

7. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

LC FTW

I never had terrible problems with falling apart, but they never corrected great.

the shmitt doesn't hold alot of water so its not for me....I'm a sud whore

8. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I like their rotary wool pads. They are really good! I like the different cuts of wool. I am going to order the edge 3000 adapter soon along with those white wool polishing pads.

I have a shmitt but havent opened it yet. I also might order a wheel shmitt. I guess i am lucky :p

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Adapter broke several times, pads separated, the plastic plate in the middle wore out and the pad became very unstable, pads corrected like shit. My schmitt is coming apart. Ill never buy another Edge product, thats for sure.

10. TexasTB

TexasTB Obsessive Detailer

Went through numerous edge 2k pads. Had a few blow apart. Not come apart, but "HIT THE DECK" blow apart. If one side went bad, you had to trow away the whole thing, which is actually 2 pads. Waste.... Had the center plastic plate break once. Never had a problem with the adapter on the PC or Rotary. I know there was a fix for it though....
    I always had my pads replaced. Never had to buy a new one. But after several pads coming apart on me, and putting my clients' vehicles at risk, I gave up. Excellent customer service only goes so far with me. I'd rather have a product that doesn't need to be sent in weekly......

I have used the edge flat pads with the rotary with no problem at all, just the 2K pads......
    That's my story. To each his/her own.......

11. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

I have never had a problem with any of my pads or adapters and they take a beating and are used often. I even have an adapter on my Makita BO6040 which is a forced rotation orbital which puts a lot of stress on the adapter and pad and both have been holding up beautifully.

I also love the fact that my pads are instantly centered and I have the ability to use any size pad without changing my backing plate.

12. sevenrd

sevenrd Virgin Detailer

I tried out the edge pads for the rotary. Didn't have any failures, but just didn't care for the system. I felt there was added complexity without much added benefit. I wanted to keep things simpler. I'm back to standard velcro backed pads.

13. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I have really only used the Wheel Shmitts and have had great success with them especially the prototype I got that has the reinforced palm and finger area, that thing is almost indestructable!

14. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

The only edge product I have is the white/yellow Shmitt and I'm still on the first one I've ever bought :)

15. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

Yes, so far my gout sponge schmitt is holding up very well. The more I use it the softer it gets and the more I like it.

16. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

I've only used the schmitts. White, Yellow, and Black. Had a problem with glue on black and Edge sent new one. I sent pics of mitt. Like the schmitts. Never converted to the pads b/c I read more problems with them than velcro. Maybe faster to change pads but really how much faster is it. Will be a nice system once all the kinks are worked out.

17. jsatek

jsatek Birth of a Detailer

i use them and I have not had functional issues. I have about 20 Edge pads right now. When they start to need replacing, I'll go Lake Country.

18. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I bought a blue and a green 2K foam pads from a paint supply near me..I also got the blue and green wools....well I like the wools..the foam pads failed...the blue just busted open and the green one the center hub wore out some and pad got wobbly..plus I did not like the way they performed....

Now I like the old Edge classics..they seemed to have a different foam and cut nice...

Al

19. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

In the last 9 months I have polished at least 25 cars using edge wool. I am thinking a green wool pad was used on about all of them. Some had yellow or black used as well.

I have gone thru 1 dual sided and 1 single sided green wool. (The single sided had foam on the other side) I just started using another green wool pad 2-3 cars ago.

I am on my second black wool dual sided pad.

I have never had an issue with any of the wool pads or rotary adapter.

I tried the edge foam a few times and prefer the LC or 3M blue pads for foam over the edge.

20. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Edge wool is tbe best wool out there due to the variety in cuts

But their foam pads except for the white pads are crap.

Poor backing, lack of sizes and the foam aint as nice as lake country

So edge for wool, LC for foam