So Girlfriend screwd up my hood. need sugestions from you pros

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by pmakhija, Sep 3, 2012.

1. pmakhija

pmakhija Any Rag Vehicle Washer

So here is the story. I own a 2006 acura tsx carbon grey pearl. loe my car to death and keep it well maintained and clean it every weekend using the two bucket wash method. Now i was out for the week for my clinical rotations and my lovely girlfriend ( no pun intended here ) was driving the tsx. She parked the car under a tree and it was inevitable but some birds saw the clean car and decided to have poop. now my lady is completely unbeknown to the world of washing and detailing cars. So she came home and worries that I would be unhappy decided to take the green scrubby part of the dish scrubbing sponge and some glass cleaner to the hood in a small area on the front. Now she managed to take the poop off the car but in the process also left behind some scratches on the hood. Now I believe hat the scratches are in the clear cos because when I was washing the car today they were invisible when the car was wet and when the area had water on it. As soon as I dried up the car, these scratches became evident again.

Now I am a noob and I have never taken a buffer in my hand and done any paint correction. I do however clay bar my car twice a year and wax it every other month but both those are done manually.
    Now I want to fix this and do not know if there is any product out there that can make this possible without using a buffer? I did ask one of the guys who works at autozone who tells me that there is a meguiars product out there which is a mixture of polish and compound together.
    What would u pros suggest? I am pretty much bombarded by clinicals and dont trust any body shop around to go and get it buffed out. I have never been in a car accident in my life before so I have never had to use a body shop.

I am located in Buffalo, NY. if you have suggestions or if any of you pros live nearby and can help me, i would be super duper greatful.

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

You can try buffing by hand but you probably won't get them all out. Your best bet would be get your self a buffer.

3. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Get some Meg's Ultimate Compound otc.

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

This is probably the best product found over the counter at almost any auto parts place.
    If there is any chance you can borrow a random orbital from someone (where do you live, what city/state ? ), this would be easier.
    If you can post a picture, it would also help us help you out better.
    Good luck with this.
    Dan F

5. pmakhija

Guys I can surely take a picture of the damage and post it here. I do not have a random orbital buffer but do u think pepboys or advance autoparts or even any other auto store like napa? also if i do get the buffer and the megs ultimate compund what kind of pad do i need? do i need to use polish too? and do i wash/ wax the car right after?
    This is what I have available at the local pepboys:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/292249/373/?omniturePageName=Product+Details+Controller

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9707096/373/?omniturePageName=Product+Details+Controller

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9707072/373/?omniturePageName=Product+Details+Controller

what kind of bonnet do i need to it?
    and what is the best way to go about applying the compund and what do i do after it? wash? wax? seal?

6. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Sorry to tell you but all those machines at PepBoys are going to be pretty weak and are typically used for applying a liquid wax, etc., but not really made to "correct" flaws like the scratches you have in your paint.

That link above is about the greatest deal you can find even though its almost twice the amount of that toy stuff at PepBoys, it will totally help you do all the maintenance on all your vehicles, and everyone else you choose to work on. There are probably some You Tube videos on how to use this machine; its not that hard at all, compared to a true Rotary machine. It just takes longer, but it works very well.

You can choose some products right here at Phil's awesome store or you can go for some over the counter stuff at PepBoys, etc., and it might be ok too. For sure the Meguiars Ultimate Compound will totally remove those scratches - much easier and better with the machine that 604_Snooze gave you. See if that package can be purchased with a 5" backing plate and 5" pads instead of the 6" stuff and you will really be getting a heck of a machine and pads. The smaller diameter pads will rotate easier and will be able to get into more of the tight spots, etc., than the larger 6" boys..
    Yes, it would be good to put a wax, sealant, etc., on the paint after you correct it with whatever you choose to use. Whatever you are using now, because you said you clay already, will work great too..
    Good luck with this, you are doing fine.
    Dan F

8. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

On Phil's webpage, it says the package comes with the 5" backplate and ten 5.5" uber pads
    Comfirm this before you purchase the kit from Phil.

9. pmakhija

i just saw that. i did place the order from phil about an hour bck. i might have to call him to confirm that it is a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. thnks for telling me about his deal. hopefully this buffer is good for a newb like me. now that i will have this buffer, i want to also learn a lot more abut what things i can do including paint correction and stuff like that.
    this stuff is very intreuging to me.

10. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

11. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

Since you've already ordered a DA this probably comes a bit late but if I were you I would simply take take the car to Auto Aesthetica as they are local to you. http://www.detailwny.com/
    I presume that they would be wiling to do the hood only and you'll know it was done right. Honda/Acura paint tends to be both soft and thin and there isn't a huge margin for error or a learning curve. If you do decide to tackle the project yourself please start with something like an Uber blue pad and a polish no more aggressive than Menz SF4000. You can always move to more aggressive pads or polishes if need be but remember there is no "undo".

12. pmakhija

Lost highway,
    I did order the machine and i do want to learn to do this by myself. I want to be able to it and learn. I am thinking of using the Megs ultimate compound for the first run to see how it comes out. are there any tips for a newb?

13. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

take your time, dont put crap tons of pressure, make sure you prep it all good, if needed, clay before. there are lots of tips around here. Also, if you want to get some better polishes and all, go back to phil and see what he recommends, usually menz 2500 is a great start for one step jobs! or you can try the meguiars microfiber system, it may cut a little harder that menz, but is another good one step system!

14. pmakhija

took a couple of pics today after i washed the car. Also got the new groits. havent used it yet. plan on clay baring then using it.
    take a look and advise. ps. the pics were taken by a professional photographer, my friend who was messing around when i was washing the car. he was taking random pics

[​IMG]

close up
    also it was dark when the pics were taken.

[​IMG]

15. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

just buff that shit out.

16. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

17. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Post pics of said girlfriend!

18. pmakhija

So guys this upcoming week is when my car is going to get the royal treatment. I have managed to collect the following items by purchasing them from phil so far. Now remember this is my first experience with pain correction and I am looking forward to doing this. So this is the plan of attack tell me what do guys think.
    1. Wash the car using adams car wash shampoo with my gilmour foam gun. Going to be using adams all purpose cleaner and sonax wheel cleaner to wash and clean the tires and wheels and to get rid of any bugs on the front end. The next plan of attack is to use the nanoskin 6 inch pad with glide to get all the grime out instead of using the conventional claybar. ( I plan on taping the car after this, Do I tape the car before I use the nanskin pad or after???? ) After that is done, I plan on using the Menzerna PF2500 using the green pad with the 6 inch GG. After that is done I am planning on applying the Menzerna Power Lock Sealant . My question is. after that is done, does one need to wax the car or leave it as is with the sealant? I am trying to make sure the car looks great and stays great.

Since I am a noob, i am using the instruction portrayed in the following videos :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lgH8bxgpRs&list=FLGu39JkxFN5EzMky64C28pw&index=1&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAWQdqNJS18&feature=relmfu

So guys kindly let me know of what you think I need to do differently? I plan on doing this on monday and tuesday. my two days off from work this upcoming week.

And yes, I know a couple of people told me to take it to a detail shop but I love to take care of my car myself and want to learn to do this myself. I want to be able to make this into something I can do for myself, my firneds and family.

19. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

Invoking Man-Law

20. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Forget the bird shit bro.... I'd be more happy that you have a girlfriend that respects you enough to run and try to clean up the mess to no upset you. That's priceless and hard to come by nowadays.

As for the paint... try the rubbing compound and some polish afterwards because that should do that trick.