Silicone in wax?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by trhland, Feb 11, 2008.

1. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

paul why is silicone in wax not a good thing? thanks

tom

2. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

this is interesting :) I wanna know too

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Dependant on the type of silicone I'd be most interested, as this kind of statement is usually just negative marketing without chemical knowledge back-up

4. A20 LEE

A20 LEE Virgin Detailer

i know its bad news for bodyshops as it causes fisheye's in the paint. For a wax though, its flexible, waterproof, bonds very well. I'd be interested to know the downsides that make a bad thing to be in a wax too. Anyone else?

5. Nica

Nica Banned

I know that most body shops don't allow any kind of product which contain silicone as A20 LEE comment.

But I too am curious about silicone being in the wax and what is it's purpose?

6. Rubbish Boy

Rubbish Boy DB Certified Dealer

Silicones are very widely used in detailing products: quick detailers, waxes, sealants, trim dressings, the list goes on and on.

Bodyshops don't like airbourne silicones in their workshops, as in aerosols or sprays because this could then end up on feshly prepped surfaces that are waiting for paint and causing problems. Like A20LEE says the silicone will cause fisheyes in the finished paint. However when talking about applying a product to your car with silicone in it and taking it to a body shop for a repair, the bodyshop will take steps to prepare your paint before doing anywork to it to remove the silicone and any other contaminants, so it shouldn't cause concern.

Silicones are added to a wax because they increase the waxes performance pure and simple. Gloss, durability, beading are all helped by the use of silicones. As an example Carnauba doesn't bead particularly well on it's own, add a hydrophobic ingredient such as silicone and instantly it beads better and repels water better. Supercharging for wax if you like.

These silicones come in different forms, it maybe that the manfacturer mixes a bit of polymer wax with the carnauba or they could use a silicone oil such as PDMS in the oil blend, either way if it says it's got polymers in, or contains poly something or other, it's almost certainly got silicone in.

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Silicones [more accurately called polymerized siloxanes or polysiloxanes] are primarily used to modify or improve certain characteristics; they are sometimes added as a lubricant to provide spread ability thereby making a product easier to apply. The automotive industry uses silicones as component parts (see polymerisation) in its plastic, vinyl, rubber, paints, and fibreglass as well as in polishes and waxes.

Silicone (Siloxane) oils provide an excellent lubricant that when used as a carrier system in polishes and waxes that makes them easier to apply and remove When used in paints and other coatings it ensures an even flow through a spray nozzle ensuring an even product distribution.

There are two types of silicone; that a product contains hydrocarbon (petroleum) distillates does not necessarily make that product harmful but it does depend upon which petroleum distillate is used and whither it has been further distilled (purified)

a)Water - based silicone dressings - usually a milky-white liquid, (Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) that doesn’t contain petroleum distillate; silicone oils, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and/or vinyl over time. Water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Some of these products also contain ultra violet radiation (UVR) blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are environmentally friendly / biodegradable, whereas solvent-based silicone is not.

b) Solvent-based silicone dressings - usually a clear greasy liquid, (Dimethal (DMS) that contain petroleum solvents as a cleaning agent, they remove the elasticity from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface. Most high gloss products are based upon DMS silicone oil, the difference between water and solvent based is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon silicone to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; solvent-based silicone is not

8. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

ahhHhh I see... silicones in wax isn't a bad thing then.