Should I top Menzerna Power Lock with something else?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by webeinky, Apr 15, 2012.

1. webeinky

webeinky Virgin Detailer

Newbie question I am about to place my order with DD and want to make sure I have everything I need. I am a bit confused about what to do for the LSP. I am working on a white Mercedes and going to finish it with a coat of Menzerna Power Lock. Would you recommend topping that with something else? I had thought about adding Collinite 845 on top of the PowerLock but now I am thinking that it would just dissolve the Power Lock and be a waste of time. Would I be better off just adding more coats of the Power Lock or is there something else that would make the white really pop.

Also what would you recommend for a Dark red metallic Lexus

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Most people top a sealant with a carnauba wax. This usually adds some depth.

3. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Honestly I never top powerlock and love the way it looks on it's own.

This is what one coat looks like on black:
    [​IMG]

4. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

Especially given white paint I would pick either PowerLock or 845 and just go with that. I think the durability should be similar, if anything slightly favoring 845. I find 845 to be a relatively bright wax and in that sense looking more like a sealant than something like Victoria Concours Red. It also has a substantial amount of solvent carrier which doesn't always play well with other LSPs.

Victoria Red might be a good choice for the Lexus. Collinite 915 (harder to apply and remove than the Vics but very durable) or the Prima Hydro trio could be other good choices.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

All depends if it's solid white or metallic. If it's solid, topping the Powerlock with a nuba will look outstanding, or just use a couple coats of Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger.

6. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

7. James_1982

James_1982 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I agree with BoostedMk6. I sometimes put wax on top of PL and most times I don't see enough of a difference to justify the extra work.

8. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I stick with clients request and base it from there....a daily driver who is seeking it to be protected I use Sealant. Now a prize possession, lives it's life in the garage most of the time then I top my sealant with nuba. But also based on Metallic paints over solids.

9. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I top powerlock with more powerlock. No need for wax.

10. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Great comment!!!!

Its like "I eat my bacon with more bacon" lol

11. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

I just topped Powerlock on an Avus Silver RS4 today with this:
    [​IMG]
    ...and it was awesome.

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

no right or wrong answer...........to each his own.

13. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

yes what kilo said...but i will add that i topped mpl with sonax carnuba the other day on a blue 350z and was amazed. i have a similar colored evo im working on now but the factory paint is very flat and has very little depth even after d300/m205/85rd so i will test again on this car

14. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

No, No, No, Don't put anything other than waxes or sealent on top pf PL.

15. DaytonaJae

DaytonaJae Birth of a Detailer

I have a white Mercedes too and I use MPL and 845 depending on my mood. Lol it seems that we came to the same two products. Both look great. MpL on white is really reflective. 845 looks very deep. I never topped MPL with anything but MPL.

16. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I will likely put either BF spray sealant or a nuba over mine in a couple weeks.

17. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

AGHD on top will blow your mind and last ages.

18. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

Doesn't power lock as a polymer covalently bond to your clear-coat? If it does this, and wax cures by setting in the meshwork of clear coat, how will the wax cure into the layer of polymers? I think we need TOGWT on this...

19. webeinky

webeinky Virgin Detailer

Sorry sure this is a newbie question but what is ADHG ??

20. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

From my understanding, wax doesn't really "bond" to the paint but just sits on top. I'm not really sure that there's enough room between the molecules of a clear coat to have the wax set down into it. Where you at TOGWT :)

AGHD= Autoglym High Definition Wax