should i clay may car?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by xxterxx, May 29, 2008.

1. xxterxx

xxterxx Any Rag Vehicle Washer

im contemplating whether i should clay my car before i wax my car...

my car is jet black..with 95% condition...just paint corrected about 5 months ago... but washing has always been careful... no swirls and very little minor scratches... thinking of skipping another round of polish..

the problem is that the bottom half of my car feels rough... and i heard claying will scratch the paint ( i have a notorious jet black BMW)

to clay and cause a little scratch on the car then wax

or

forget the claying... just use pre-wax cleanser and wax the car

any tips is greatly appreciated.

2. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

How rough is it? If you are worried about hte marring from clay (which it can) then i would suggest trying the pre cleanser on a small section first, if it is as smooth as you would like it then do it to the whole car, if not you could try a seond application, or you could clay.
    But to clay ot not to clay is a though question, most people will say clay without a doubt, however if its not something you are keen to do then i would suggest a paint cleanser first.

There are lots of good ones out there, some stronger then others. so if you do choose that route and need help selecting one there are lots of great people on here to help

3. haper

haper Birth of a Detailer

if you are a DIYer, i'd recommend only claying when it's followed w/ a polish. as you mentioned clay almost always induces marring, especially w/ jet black, unless you are very careful and use a very fine clay.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: I would have to agree with what's beeing said here.

Pre-cleaners should help but sometimes don't get the job done right but then again it should help.

I'm interested to see what your plan of attach will be, let us know what you end up doing and the end result :peace:

5. FMJ

FMJ Any Rag Vehicle Washer

how about claying just the bottom half of the car?