Shaving Creme

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Cooter, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Cooter

Cooter Guest

So I'm at work tonight and this girl is talking about armor-all and how much she hates it. Then she proceeds to tell me that she uses colgate shaving creme on all her interior except for the leather seats. I'm just sitting there in bewilderment (never used that word in a sentence hehehe). She says some guy that keeps his cars immaculately clean uses this and says it doesnt attract dust as bad.

Has anyone ever heard of this?? Is it one of those old car-show techniques you hear about like pledge or etc?

Heath

2. distrbd

distrbd New Member

LOL,it could be ,I just can't imagine shaving cream doing anything good on the interior but willing to give it a try.
    What's next,under arm role on on the windows & mirrors for defogging?ha ha:crasy:

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Originally Posted by Cooter

Has anyone ever heard of this?? Is it one of those old car-show techniques you hear about like pledge or etc?

Heath

Shaving Cream was used to clean leather- it contains mild soap and a surfactant (something that encapsulates dirt, allowing it to be rinsed away with re-introduction to the surface)

What this lady may have seen -The foam created by an aerosol or pump type dispenser has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for leather (especially sensitive finishes such as Aniline, Alcantara®, etc). Do not allow to dry as it can leave spotting. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

4. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Togwt,
    She didnt use it on the leather. She specifically pointed that out on seperate occasions and then asked me what she should use. Being that she probably will never use any non-otc stuff, i told her to go get some Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner down at Advance Auto Parts for her leather.

Distubd,
    Isnt it Griots that has a wax/deodorant style stick of wax. I might be wrong but I think it was them.

Togwt- cool avatar! Reminds me of SuperBad when i see it.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Togwt- cool avatar! Reminds me of SuperBad when i see it.

When the Old Grey Whistle Test went on air (BBC Television, England) in 1971 it was unique, in a world accustomed to Top of the Pops, here was a show on which the bands performed album tracks and were interviewed after they had played. This was before the days of miming, the music was live and, since the idea was to air new sounds, many of the bands were making their first television appearance. The titles sequence featured an animation of a man kicking a star. He was to become affectionately known as The Starkicker.

6. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Sounds like a show that was going against the grain!! Good story with that Togwt

7. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I use Shaving Creme on my Softball mit.

It lightly conditions, cleans, and softens, while not adding weight like using oils do.

A lighter glove is a better glove! :)

8. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

Shaving cream works well on bathroom mirrors to prevent fogging ... I'm not sure I would want to use it anywhere except in the bathroom though...

9. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

:applause: Me too. Works nice.:thumb:

10. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

the shaving cream theory dosen't sound all that far fetched...it does contain aloe ...i'm not sure if its enough to act as a conditioner though.. plus it might be a easier on the leather then an APC...

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Really shaving cream huh who knew :shrug: not sure I'd be willing to give it a try but good to know :thumb:

12. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

i definately agree with this statement after doing a 50/50 test with Colgate foam shaving creame with Aloe on my rear seat..

it has some cleaning power but it left the leather tacky/sticky even after a spritz of water and a MF towel..also it removed the sheen from the surface of the leather after applying it and didn't look like it came back at all after applying Megs leather conditioner..

me and the car reek of shaving cream now.. man i can't stand the smell...dump the foam and go with gel and leave it in the bathroom where it belongs..:thumb:

13. Pooter

Pooter Birth of a Detailer

Shaving creme is an old remedy to STRIP leather not clean it. The ingredients in it alcohol to name one of them acts as a stripper and will eat the shine along with everything else off of the leather. When used ensure you get the creme completely off and recondition and protect afterwards. I DO NOT recommend doing this on a regular bases.

14. Pooter

Pooter Birth of a Detailer

As for using on dashboards, it will in fact keep it very clean, however, it will eventually cause it to crack by the extreme heat on the inside of the car during summer months. It is essentially removing the dirt, but also removing all oils...etc as well. That is why they said it repells dirt so nicely.

15. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Thanks for the reply Pooter!!