Sexy 1991 Jaguar XJS V12 detail...

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by cleandean, May 16, 2008.

1. cleandean

cleandean Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I spent about 7 hours on this 1991 Jaguar XJS V12, and was in love with this sexy machine by days end. When I arrived to detail this cat, she had a ugly set of aftermarket molding on both sides of the vehicle. The paint was pretty heavily oxidized and the interior was pretty dingy (especially the hides).

First I removed the molding. And removed the left over adhesive with acetone. The engine bay was thoroughly degreased and some cosmoline was removed with acetone. The painted areas of the engine bay was spray waxed and the engine was coated with Stoners Trim Shine (non aerosol). Then she was washed and clayed. The wheels were pretty well coated with brake dust, but these old Jaguar wheels hold up very well and after a pretty heavy acid wash they were as new again.
    The paint oxidation was removed with a PC275 Schegel wool pad and Hi Temps Heavy Cut Leveler. Washed again, and coated all of the exterior plastic with a Stoners TS and let it dwell. After that I hit it with Menzernas IP and follow with Menzernas Final Polish. After sealing with Klasse SG (I love Klasse on red), I was very impressed with the old cats paint. Then all exterior chrome was polished with Mothers and a few MF towels. The tailpiped were polished with Mothers and 0000 steel wool.

The interior was cleaned with Megs APC diluted 20:1 and compressed air. The leather was treated with Mink oil, and the hides were very thirsty. The interior dash was dressed with aerosol Trim Shine and buffed with a MF towel to make it look new and not shiny. The wood console was hand polished with IP then spray waxed. All glass cleaned with Sprayaway. Sorry no sunlight pics it was overcast all day yesterday here in NJ.

What a great color combo !!! You have to love the red piping on those seats !!!

I know many feel that the old XJS look is dated, but I have detail about 20 of these over the years, and hope to acquire one for myself someday in the not so distant future !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

wow that looks awesome. beautiful work. and it only took you 7 hours? amazing:worship2::worship2:

3. ChristR

ChristR Birth of a Detailer

Sexy car indeed. Looks flawless!

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

great job on a Jag!

5. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

I do think the design is dated, but man that thing will still turn heads coming down the road, especially with it looking like that.

Great work. :)

6. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

She is sexy!:applause:

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Just gorgeous!!!

8. Nica

Nica Banned

That's one fine Jag, the engine bay is impresive. I like the amount of wood trim in the interior, gives it that extra.

Thank you for sharing :peace:

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

What a great looking Jag! That engine bay is amazing. Great work Dean!

10. Jimmie

Jimmie Birth of a Detailer

That car has aged well. Good work.

11. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing!

12. Peugeot

Peugeot Birth of a Detailer

Looks outstanding.

Mink oil?! Wow, I used to use that on my baseball glove when I was a little kid in Little League. Baseball gloves drink that stuff up, but they were (back then) uncoated leather gloves. Oiling up your new glove was a ritual, of course.

Suppose it would work differently on dyed leather of a car.