Setting up a Gary Dean ONR system, MF advice needed

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Zatrekaz, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Zatrekaz

Zatrekaz DB Forum Supporter

I have decided to setup my own Gary Dean system. I already have the bucket and the ONR. I just need the MFs and the WW drying towel.

For those of you who have tried this method, what towels would you suggest? I was looking at the All Purpose towels from DI. Would these work? I'm thinking about 10-15 towels per wash.

2. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

a lot of people likes the eurow towel. You will also need black microfiber towels and I don't think you need a ww drying towel.

3. Paul S

Paul S Birth of a Detailer

The DI towels could work. I just got the Sam's Club towels as Garry mentioned and have had good results.

4. Zatrekaz

Are you referring to the ProForce towels or whatever they are called? I'm just so skeptical about store MFs. You've experienced no marring with these towels? I need to renew my Sam's Club membership ($40) and with the ProForce towels it would cost me about $50.

As for the WW, 604, you said you don't think I need one? I have some reg MFs I could use for drying but the WWs are a lot better at it from what I understand.

5. umi000

umi000 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I use the 660gsm Eurow shag weaves from Amazon - the ten-pack costs less than 30 dollars.

6. Paul S

I have mf towels from AG,Pak Shak,TowelPros and MicrofiberTech,DI.Meguiars and SamsClub. For the GD system the Sams Club towels work great with the rinseless products. Remember the towels are soaked and loaded with a ton of product.My best WW drying towels are the TowelPros and some old WW ones from Meguiars.

7. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

whats different about this method?

8. Paul S

9. Zatrekaz

I've narrowed it down to these selections:

10ct of DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel Green - 16" x 16" | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image @ $31 shipped
    12ct of Chemical Guys MIC_303_6 -Orange Banger Professional Extra Thick Microfiber Towels, Orange 16.5 x 16.5 (6 Pack) @ $33 shipped
    12ct of Chemical Guys MIC_506_12 - Professional Grade Premium Silk Banded Microfiber Towels, 16" x 16" (12 Pack) @ $32 shipped
    10ct of Eurow Microfiber Double Density Towels 12 X 16 in 660 GSM Eurow Shag 10-Pack : Amazon.com : Automotive @ $28 shipped

So, which of these seem like the best choice for a Gary Dean wash method? I'm worried 10 would not be enough. I could always buy 10, try it, and if necessary buy another 10 I suppose.

10. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I just tried this and it works great and makes a lot of sense. I am finally going to use that gallon of ONR I bought a year ago! It also allows me to wash motorcycles inside the garage now, I love it. My only concern is the drying portion, as I have been blowdrying, which is great, I just have to figure out how to merge the two practices.

11. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I have both the CG towels, the Yellow ones are great but are only one sided, which is perfect for buffing polishing and wax removal, where the short nap is needed for product removal and the fluff side for final wipe, the orange ones have the same nap loop on either side, not the fluffiest towells in the world but are dense and hold sand and dirt particles well. I would suggest the orange ones, which are the same as the Costco, BJs, etc., mf that usually once a year go on sale for $10 for 20.

12. Zatrekaz

I decided to try the Eurow ones since they were the cheapest. I figure even if they don't work well I can use them for interior cleanings and such.

They came in yesterday, and upon first inspection they seem quite nice. Will have to get use to the 12x16 format. They were linting like crazy. Put them through a wash with nothing but warm water and two rinses. Gonna dry them and hope most of the lint is gone.

13. Zatrekaz

Update: Washed and Dried the Eurows and they are no longer linting. Will do my first ONR wash either today or sometime soon.