Seeking input on a higher end wax purchase

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by MadOzodi, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Ok, my b-day is coming up (no, I'm not telling you when) and I've been seriously considering "stepping out of the pee wee league" in terms of a wax purchase. Most of you are aware that I've purchased quite a bit in the past year or so and that I always try to do my research before making any purchase.

So far, every tub of 'nuba I've purchased has been under $100, so for my b-day present to myself, I figure some spoiling is in order since there really isn't anything else I want. Divine, Crystal Rock & Mystery are out of the question as they're too expensive. I'm not very familiar with anything from Zymol. So I've basically narrowed it down to Dodo Supernatural and either SV Concorso or Smaragd.

Dodo SN has the advantage of being refillable, but I dunno if I'd even get to that point. The two SV products would require, IMO, use of the cleaner fluid. I'm not sure if SN needs Lime Prime/Prime Lite to bring out its best. Also, I'd really want to apply whichever wax I end up purchasing using the bare hand method.

So, I'm still looking at Show & Shines and reading through search results, examining pics, etc., but I thought I'd speed up the process by asking you all for your input. I do plan on giving my best effort to achieve perfection on my correction (I feel like I've got AR, D&D and all the Pros on this board keeping a watchful eye over me), so I will not be "wasting" the wax.

Anyway, TIA for any and all input/advice/criticism be it positive or negative.

:peace:

Dodo SN: *
    SV Concorso: ***
    SV Smaragd: **

2. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

I would go for Swissvax concorso/smaragd. Easy to apply, easy to remove, smells great, looks GREAT and very nice sheeting/beading. Also pretty good durabiility.

I have both sv smaragd/concorso and supernatural. I feel sv last longer and have the look longer.

Thats my input for you!

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I would go with Supernatural. Order up from Ben at Rubbish Boys and you will be golden. I love SN and the look it gives. I've used SV Saphir and wasn't overly impressed with it but SN has knocked my socks off everytime. As a side note you couldn't go wrong with Rubbish Boys OE either.

4. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

I love swissvax products but agree the refill is nice and if you are using bare hand method you may need the refill as you put on thicker coat using bare hand.

5. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

My vote would be for SV Concorso, but I havent used SN.

6. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i used (swissvax) best of show this weekend and all i can say is AWESOME!!! what a glossy wet shine. one of my favorites.. next time ill take pics wife had my camera sorry.

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I would go for the Swissvax Concorso if I were you!

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

+1. I love mine. Worth every dime.

9. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i wonder how that is compared to b o s? probably pretty close in loos and durability i would think.

10. HPIA4v2

HPIA4v2 Birth of a Detailer

I thought Dodo SN refill is like 65 pound + S&H unlike Zymol which is just S&H. I could be wrong.

11. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Thanks Ketil! Of the two SV waxes, which do you prefer? Most of your Show 'n Shines are with smaragd/bos.

Ahhh, you had to mention RBOE to make things difficult! LOL, j/k...I know that you and Jason both like Supernatural a lot.

To everyone else that posted, thanks also...something tells me that eventually I'll end up purchasing all of the ones mentioned so it seems the real question is, which one first?!?! :yikes:

12. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

Thats correct. but zymol sh isnt exactly cheap

13. HPIA4v2

HPIA4v2 Birth of a Detailer

So true Indeed.
    But my point to OP or other on Dodo juice, it's "refilable" vs "free refill", S&H is always extra in any cases (wouldn't be great if S&H also free in both cases:thumb:)

14. Denzil

Denzil Guest

The Dodo SN seems very tempting but the refill costs can be pricey.

I think the SN sample is in order, hehe.

15. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

I'm a bit partial to Dodo Juice. I may try some Swissvax at some point in the future. :D

16. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

Just buy it all, buy freaking everything...EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! :D

Never tried anything more expensive than Lusso Oro so can't comment but me thinks I will be getting a sample or two of SN. You know they did a really good thing with the smaller samples of SN and I wish more companies that sold (IMO) these insanely priced waxes would do something similar so the average joe could play.

17. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

OMG, don't make me drive up there and :boxing: LOL

:006: j/k...Just what I need, more encouragement.

I like my Dodo Purple Haze too. Mmmm, more food for thought...

18. Toolman

Toolman Virgin Detailer

Have only used SV BoS and Scuderia...both are super! But if I have to choose one to buy again, BoS is a no-brainer imo!

19. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

sv concourso.. i have a tub and love it!!! it is easy to apply via hand or red ccs applicator.. the applicator does suck up wax so be careful.. i find i use less with the applicator.. at first i used more with the applicator b/c when i was washing it there was tons of wax i could squeeze out.. so the second i time i just kept squeezing it out to the to of the pad.. worked great and saved a lot of wax.. when i used the hand method i use double what i would have with the applicator!!! next i am gonna try the SV applicator!!

good luck buddy
    i hope you LOVE Swissvax.. i really like concourso better than zymol concourse.. it smells better easier to remove and concourso looks better imo.

20. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I think you will be happy with any of those purchases.

I would recommend you go w Smaraged if you are going towards SV.