Sealants

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by piginapoke, Jan 26, 2012.

1. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Well these have been out now for a whille and several of you have tried them all, Wolfs, Opti-coat, A-quarts, C-quarts, and what ever else is out there, what do you guys think? Which is the best? I can not afford to by them all so why dont you guys suggest one. If you haven't tried them all but have one or two I'd like your opion as well.

5 being untouchable and 1 not worth buying...

Price 1-5
    Protection 1-5
    Ease of application 1-5
    Shine 1-5

am I missing a catagory?
    :shead:

Chaseme: Aquarts Nano
    Price: 4 (comparing it to the others listed)
    Protection: 4 (wish I had a better estimate but so far it's going 3mo going strong on a daily driven car in winter)
    Ease of application: 3 (follow Dave's steps here)
    Shine: 3 (looks best on metallic and metal flake paints)
    Other: Despite claims of a bottle lasting just a couple vehicles; I have about 50% of a bottle left after three cars.

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Aquarts Nano
    Price: 4 (comparing it to the others listed)
    Protection: 4 (wish I had a better estimate but so far it's going 3mo going strong on a daily driven car in winter)
    Ease of application: 3 (follow Dave's steps here)
    Shine: 3 (looks best on metallic and metal flake paints)
    Other: Despite claims of a bottle lasting just a couple vehicles; I have about 50% of a bottle left after three cars.

3. piginapoke

That is exactly the type of information I was looking for, now we just need twenty more people to do the same. lol

4. piginapoke

Out of everyone on here only one person has triedd any sealents, hmmm interesting.

5. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Duragloss 105
    Price 5 - Great price
    Protection 4or5 - 3 months and still holding up well
    Ease of application 4 - easy to use
    Shine 4

DG is known for great protection and price point.

6. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

Are we talking about sealants or coatings or both?

7. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Considering most of not all coatings(aside from OC) are siloxane based, as are most sealants - I would say both. The obvious difference is most sealants are considerably less expensive and really only last a couple months less than coatings or "coatings" I should say.

8. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Well, I really liked working with Wolfs BW. Can't report on durability because I haven't washed the car I applied it to for a few months because of the cold. It is easy to apply and remove. Looks amazing as well. I liked it so much I bought more.

9. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I like 105 as mentioned above, but actually prefer 111 (old school) Duragloss. <BR><BR>

Price: 5
    Protection: 4
    Ease of application: 4
    Shine: 3
    Other: Works best with prepolishing agent also Duragloss

10. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

Optimum Opti-Coat

Price: 5
    Protection: 5 (indefinite)
    Ease of application: 4 (like opti-seal but must remove all high spots)
    Shine: 4 (To me, 99% of shine is in the prep)
    Other: By far the best sealant/coating I have ever used. The way it beads water and releases dirt blows any sealant/wax away IMO.

11. piginapoke

I should have clarified but primarily looking at coatings, although I am appreciative of the sealant information as well. I know we all like to try new things but it would be helpful to some of us who are economically challenged to hear others opinions to save $50-100