Sealants as a base for carnubas

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by cptzippy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

I guess the first question for those who like to use carnuba waxes is DO you use a sealant under them?

If you do, what do you use? Anything work really well? Not at all?

I have Optiseal (which I use on my wife's car) and Prima Epic (which if it is a good choice I could use up since I've had it since 2007).

TIA,
    Tony

2. Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet Jedi Nuba

I like Z2/Z5 topped with 845. Or FK1 1000p topped with P21S.

Epic looks great with P21S as well.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

yeah, MPL and p21S, and BFWD and BFMS

MPL and AGHD.......

all work fantastic.

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Well. I generally stick with sealants and bypass using nubas all together.

But due to the fact that nubas degrade rapidly, when I use nuba its on a non-daily driven car. All DD cars get sealants.

But generally Power Lock is my base before wax.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Not necessarily true. AG Hi Def will outlast pretty much any sealant available as will Colli 476 / 845. I agree that a lot of waxes like P21S Concours, a bunch of the Dodo stuff as well as a host of others will only last 4-8 weeks, but most sealants themselves will strain to hit the 4 month mark.

6. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Topping a sealant with a wax is great if you love waxing your car! The sealant lasts a long time, keeping you protected, but you can keep waxing your car for that extra depth every so often. I have an addiction, can't put the nuba down!

7. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I like DG501/601 combo or fk1000p as a base

8. 911Fanatic

I'm the same. I have about thirty nubas in the shop and every once in a while I just have to crack one open and apply it to something. It's so relaxing.

9. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

What is you application method of choice 911Fanatic?

10. 911Fanatic

If applying with an applicator, I prefer the really thin yellow foam ones. Seems to be easier to get it on really thin that way. I have used my PC with a Gold LC pad and it works extremely well also. My preferred method is by hand because on freshly polished paint, nothing will give you a chubby like massaging the paint by hand. You will use a lot more wax, but who cares! It's all about me! LOL

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Have you tried the small white applicators from Bolt Hammer? Those are my favorite

12. umi000

umi000 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I'll offer a contrasting viewpoint, and say that while I do usually use either an AIO (usually KAIO) or a pre-wax cleaner before applying a carnauba, I'm not really into the top the sealant with a wax camp. The sealants I have (BFWD, Opti-Seal, WGDGPS, Poxy) aren't really all that much more durable than my waxes, I change up products every six weeks anyway, and I don't see the point of topping those "beauty" sealants with a different product. Now if I had KSG, Duragloss or FK1000P to use as a sealant "base", perhaps I'd look at things a bit differently.

Off-topic: I really like those white applicators from Bilt Hamber - I'm thinking of getting ten to fifteen of them and switching out all my other hand applicators.

13. EvoFire

EvoFire Birth of a Detailer

Quoted for truth. Nothing beats applying it and working it in by hand even if it takes more time and uses more product. I'll just the machine if I have to hang it out quick, but then nothing gets the job done better than doing it with your own hands.