Scuffs on Plastic Interiors

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by GDAL, Dec 5, 2010.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I have a few scuffs on some of my plastic interior pieces and i would like to improve their appearance. Any suggestions?

I'll try to take pictures later. I managed to scuff some interiors piece while replacing my radio.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Scuffs as in just transfer or the actually plastic is damaged (like road rash). If is the the first some strong apc or 1z deep plastic cleaner and a magic eraser should work.

If damaged you could possibly sand smooth, prime, paint, clear them to make them "custom"

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

They are actually slight/moderate scuffs. Not a lot of them. I'm thinking about trying the magic eraser, but I'm concerned that the area is going to loose the grain texture.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I see, it is not coated plastic is it, ie soft touch plastic? Is there another color showing under the scuff like white as if the outer layer is paint/coating?

With it being textured only thing you can do is clean it up and smooth out the scuff a bit to get rid of the little bits sticking up if you get what i mean.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

You have to be very careful with the newer plastics as Ank mentioned as a lot of them are coated and using something abrasive could remove some of the coating resulting in a dull area.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

First time I detailed my GTI I used a chem to clean the radio surround and after a bit of time the coating (soft touch plastic bits) started to bubble and peal! :yikes: I was lucky that I wanted to switch it out to a non-soft touch panel for looks and found the bits for cheap.

But you do have to be careful now a days and now only really use damp MF to clean some interior bits.

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

well my car is 10 years old, so I'm not looking for perfection. I'll probably leave it the way it is until I find one in better condition.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Search on ebay maybe you can find a replacement for cheap.

9. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

I have a feeling that even if you tried to fix them it would still be a noticeable as it is now.