Scuffed up Detroits

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by iluvmidub, Oct 10, 2012.

1. iluvmidub

iluvmidub Virgin Detailer

Hey everyone what's up? This is my first post on here so please forgive me if i passed up a previous post asking the same thing I am. I have a 2011 GTI with the Detroit wheels. The painted black portion of these wheels just aren't what they used to be; Scratches, mild hazing...I'm wanting to get them back to an acceptable (by my standards) appearance. I have never used an orbital buffer before so i was thinking about investing in a Griots 3" Random orbital...With the appropriate products do you all think this would do the trick...I reallyyyyyy don't wanna mess up the paint on my wheels or car so any advice is good advice! Thank's everyone

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Welcome to DB man! You may get a wide array of responses to this question. First off, it would help us see a picture of the rims just so we can get an indication how how scratched and scuffed they the black part of the Detroits may be. A GG3 may be a good choice for getting into these areas and with the right polish and pad combo you could probably achieve the results you want. I don't have a polisher that small, only the GG6, but I have had success with taking Meg's M105 on just a normal applictor pad and going at the area by hand. You may yield some decent results without the larger investment in a small polisher. If you do have the change, then BUY IT!

That being said, make sure you are using an appropriate wheel brush, something that isn't too rough, maybe wheel whoolies? This may prevent any hazing or scratches from washing. Obviously scratches and hazing can come from other ways. Hope this helps!

3. iluvmidub

View attachment 5484
    Thanks for the welcome! And I can afford a gg3 for sure and it seems perfect for my wheels! I just didn't know all the professionals opinion ;)

Sent from my iPhone with typos using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I did a set of HUFFs on my wife's jetta before we sold it, its clear coated, but really hard clear.

I could only do so much with a 5" pad, but it is repairable. I even did the face of the wheel as well.

Used Powerfinish and an orange foam pad on the face, and FG500 on the windows.

5. iluvmidub

sooooooo what would be the best bet for mine?

6. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Same thing should work on yours, Huffs, and Detroit's are the same wheel technically..........

If you can get the 3" polisher, or even adams focus kit the afore mentioned polishes and pad combinations will work.

7. iluvmidub

Good deal thank you!

Sent from my iPhone with typos using Tapatalk

8. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

I did a set of painted American Racing Torq Thrusts. It's a different wheel but I found the 4" back plate and pads worked well. There were still some areas I had to do by hand because the machine just wouldn't get into the tight areas.

I used an LC flat orange pad and Menz SIP. The clear was pretty hard and it finished down LSP ready