Scratches on speedometer lens?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by musc, Apr 28, 2009.

1. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

I recently had some warranty work done because of a faulty airbag and it looks as though the techs wiped down the plastic covering my speedometer/tach layout with some sort of abrasive towel/rag. It's really only noticeable when the sun is shining in on it, but the scratches are pretty noticeable and annoying!!!

I tried some PlastX and it didn't seem to make a difference. I also have some Megs #17 Clear plastic cleaner which really didn't help neither. I read somewhere that baby oil can help reduce the appearance of scratches, but haven't tried that. Anyone else have any other solutions?? :help:

Thanks!

Chad

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Use these products for finishing plastics, acrylics, Lexan polycarbonates, Bakelite, polyurethanes and composites, and more. Abrasive colours of this product range from dark grey to light grey. This material can be used wet or dry, is made with a flexible cotton backing with polymer emulsion cushioning layer and large micron graded silicon carbide crystals suspended in an ultra flexible resin bond. Grades 8000 and 12000 are made with aluminium oxide crystals.

This material is available in the following nine grades, from course to fine: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, and 8000, and 12000 regular. 1500 micro-mesh is equivalent to a scratch pattern left using 400-wet/dry, but is much more consistent.

Product specific – Scientific Instrument Services, Inc. - http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/headlight_kits.htm

3. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Hey Chad - I have a similar problem with the gauge cluster on my S2000. I bought the car used, and there are lots of hairline scratches on the gauge panel - something these cars are famous for.

On a whim, I tried some Bilt-Hamber Auto Balm on the area, knowing how well that stuff fills light swirls on paint. To my shock and amazement, it worked! So there's something to try. I bought mine from Ben (Rubbish Boy). It's pretty inexpensive, and has become one of my favorite LSPs. Check out my product review in the Reviews section - should still be on page one.

4. euroslvt

euroslvt Any Rag Vehicle Washer

togwt why did you edit your post? I was interested in using the product you mentioned before. Is this new post a better product and method?

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Upon reflection this is a better product / method for polycaronate's

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

7. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the input guys. I tried the Blackfire but it really didn't help, so I think the damage may be a bit more severe than I anticipated. I have been wanting to pick up some BH Auto Balm anyhow, so I will be trying that next. I am going to go ahead and order one of the kits on the site that TOGWT posted. I figure worse case scenario, I can just replace the instrument cluster plastic if I end up messing it up.