Scratches....is it possible

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by slanguage, Oct 14, 2011.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Is it possible for scratches to be down to the primer, but not catch a fingernail or feel that deep?

The car in question is a 2004 Acura TL.

2. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

it could be possible if that part of the car was poorly repainted at one point and time.however it is pretty rare.somtimes depending on what kind of scratch it is or what hit the car u may not be able to feel it...what color is the car?is it a 3 stage pearl by chance? either way if its through the clear its gonna need repainted or at least touched up.

3. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Yes.

..and also possible that easily palpable scratches that are very easy caught with a nail, can be 100% completely removed without any super significant amount of total material removal or risk of clearcoat compromise.

The "rules" fit most of the time, but not always.

4. slanguage

As far as I know, the paint is original.

I believe the color name is Nighthawk Black Pearl.

I did some paint readings and it read anywhere between 106 and 125.

5. chemgys99

hmm thats strange..u sure its primer that you see and not just the black base paint?

6. slanguage

Oh yeah, cause it's white! And on that color, white stands out bigtime.

7. chemgys99

haha that would make sense.

8. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

Hmm.. please keep us posted on it. I have the same car color and I have a nasty stone chip that's white as well. I haven't attempted to fix it yet though.

9. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

Clear coat scratches that are still removal turn....white..

10. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Yeah, it's rare to prime a black car with white primer.

11. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

I had a white 2011 Audi Q5 suv with a couple chips that i repaired today, while i did a exterior complete detail, i made several layers of paint fill in till a blob was there, gave ample time to cure, before leveling out with wetsanded with 2500 grit paper till it was flat with clear,then buffed with rotory and Megs 105 compound,could not tell the difference, work on it through,,and added service for a extra few bucks along with the detail.:applause2: