Scrap panel correction overhaul

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by dsms, Jul 3, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

The full write up should be up tommorow, wanted to get some finished shots in the sun first.

For now heres a teaser...:yikes:

[​IMG]

UPDATED

I started with a scrap hood that I use to test products on. The finish was already clean so I used fine grade steel wool followed by a stiff bristle carpet brush to induce heavy swirls marks, marring and some fine scratches.

The finish looked like this after. (I labled the center tape w/ sharpie in my handwriting to show that the side I corrected was in fact as trashed as the other)

Left side will be corrected Right side will not

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You get the idea of how bad the finish was

[​IMG]

I took a quick reading to make sure I had enough clear to work with

[​IMG]

After a thourugh IPA wipedown and inspection with the Infratech I thought I may have been a little to "aggressive" in marring the finish and that it would need more than machine corretion, perhaps wetsdaning.

I decided to begin with Gloss It Extreme Cut on a 6.5inch Lake Country purple foamed wool

[​IMG]

After working the panel with slow passes at 1500rpm to my suprise the finish looked like this, a very good amount of defect was removed but some deep swirls and RIDS still remained along with holograms

[​IMG]

I used Extreme Cut one more time, this time bumping the speed up to about 1700 on the Makita hoping to work out those deeper RIDS with teh PFW. After this step the majority of defect was gone and it was time to move to a less aggressive pad and polish.

I used Gloss It Evolution cut( a milder cutting polish) with a new Edge 3K CCX 8" cutting pad)

[​IMG]

After this stage the finish looked like this

[​IMG]

Just about all the defect was gone at this point, now onto refining the finish and polishing out any last fine swrils

I chose to use Evolution cut with a green CCX 8" polishing pad from edge for this

[​IMG]

The result after Evolution cut and an edge green pad and an IPA wipedown, at this pint I was very happy with teh correction and finished achieved. The panel was LSP ready..but I decided to go one more step to make sure it was really perfect before applying Gloss Finish

[​IMG]

I used a LC white polishing pad and Evolution polish at no more than about 1000rpm to refine the finish further and to bring out maximum gloss while removing any slight holograms which may have remained after the correction

Evoution polish working

[​IMG]

The result after an IPA wipedown with no LSP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some 50/50 shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mind the lights cord in this picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the panel was fully corrected and finished it was time to apply Gloss It Gloss Finish.

I sprayed the panel with Gloss It Gloss Enhancer QD spray as prep (similar to Zaino Z6) and then appied a dime size amount of Gloss Finish to a hand applicator and spread evenly across the panel, a little goes a long way with this stuff!

[​IMG]

I then buffed the panel, Gloss Finish doesnt need to cure for a very long time and no additives are needed. It buffs off super easy with no streaking at all.

This is a 50/50 in my dark garage after 1 coat of gloss finish and then a quick Gloss Enhancer QD wipedown. I fliped the panel upside down so I could take some photos thats why the corrected side is now on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The before

[​IMG]

The after

[​IMG]

I ended up correcting both sides and leaving the center piece of the panel uncorrected, you can see how dull the finish is and the light is refracted all over the place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gloss finish really brought out the flake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was cloudy all day and tried to get some shots in the sun. This was the best I could do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great clarity!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Man, that looks crazy.

3. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

You went crazy with the brillo pad didn't you? :p

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

At first I thought maybe a little too crzazy, I was afraid that I may have scrtahced the paint to where it would have needed wetsanding...but all was fine and I was able to achieve 100 % correction from this.

5. richy

richy Guest

Looking forward to seeing the steps/products.

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Awesome test. If I could just find my wifes car keys....

7. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Haha, the way you induced the imperfections really surprised me as well. I honestly thought it would not be fixable without some wetsanding as well. I guess next time you should go harsher and do another :gasp: thread :applause:

Amazing job man :worship2:

8. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Awesome work, those 50/50 shots are some of the best I've seen. Please take another reading of the panel to see how much you material you removed with that process.

9. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

I love it! :) a friend of mine have a scrap bonnet who we are tormenting.

Must get myself a new bonnet, I hope that I can find a solid black from a Volkswagen..

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Wow, that's a neat little experiment. Thanks a lot for sharing!

11. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I might do another test and go one step further:shrug: At the time I didnt have the lambswool pad made by Gloss It and its supposed to work wonders on super heavy defects with the Extreme Cut, I would have been able to correct that panel in 2 steps perhaps. But I will say Extreme cut is a terrific polish/compund. On a cutting foam pad its a lot like an SIP type product with a bit more bite but on wool its a maniac...and it still works like a polish which is the best part. M105 is great to but its not as easy to work with.

12. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job and very impressive results!

13. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

One word - Dude! :D

14. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Haha, you are making me want to upgrade to rotary already and I've had my PC starting this year lol. I have to agree on M105 though, it would not work correctly at all with my PC on 600 grit but Power Gloss worked perfectly on it for some reason. I guess I'll also pick up some Extreme Cut as well to experiment with on the PC :applause2:

(You should use...fire :whistle: haha. Go from :campfire: -> :buffer: -> :drinking2: -> :buffing: -> :picture: and everyone here would be like :eek: :sheep: :applause: at the end) :thumb:

15. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Haha, that actually made me laugh a bit.

16. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

dsdms, your paint correction and photography skills rock.

The way you caught those holos with that light gun... wow. What kind of light is that?

17. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Thanks Supe! To be honest those holograms were pretty visible, just had to screw around with the angle a bit to get them to show up well. I was using an Infratech CM5300 color matching light, Phil at DD sells them. Its a great light soruce and the two bulbs instead of one makes 50/50's shots a breeze. Its still difficult to pick up swirls on a very light finish but overall I love it.

18. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

Very cool. There's just something about that Infratech that's hard to put a finger on, but it just seems to do so much better of a job of illuminating defects than, say, the 3M Sun Gun. Of course, having the photography skills to show it helps alot, too.

Yet more stuff to save up for.. the Infratech and those polishes you used.

19. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

One thing I like about the Infratech is that its corded so you dont have to worry about batteries dying on you in the middle of a detail like with the SG or Brinkmann.

20. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I thought you had already purchased one by now Supe! :p: