Salt stains and Shine

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Solidsnake, May 22, 2009.

1. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

I have these nasty salt stains on my carpet from the winter, and they're not going away with whatever I do, any ideas?

Also, I use the "Armor All Ultra Shine" for my dash and steer wheel and other stuff, but I've noticed its only good for like 10 minutes, then there is dust on it or it looks kind of greasy or whatever, the point is there is always some kind of problem with it, is there anything else out there that can do the job as good or better?

2. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

For those nasty salt stains I would spray with a carpet cleaner or have it extracted. I'm not best with interiors, but I'm workin on it.

For you're dash you can use definitely many better products. I use Finish Kare 108 or FK108. It leaves a matte finish and lasts a long time on interiors. Works well for tires and trim as well, but it hasn't been as good to me on trims. With tires consider it better when it stays dry. It'll last through one or two rainy days but after that it's done. I still love it on the tires though. You can also use 303 Aerospace protectant, it's a very popular choice but isn't cheap. I find FK108 to be very reasonable. I think you can get a gallon of FK108 for the price of a 32oz. 303 Aerospace Protectant bottle. Just my opinion though, I'd go for FK108.

3. richy

richy Guest

They can be difficult to get out, to be sure. I have been known to spend over an hour on mats alone to get out salt stains and other stains. I would follow this procedure:
    1) vacuum and brush with coarse brush to break up stain
    2) power wash thoroughly
    3) hang to drip a few minutes
    4) spray with apc or folex and agitate with a brush..work the hell out of it
    5) power wash thoroughly again making sure to get all the soap out
    6) (optional) spray with vinegar to cut any soap residue
    7) drip dry for a while
    8) thoroughly vacuum..now's the time to cut your groovy lines if you wish
    9) (optional) steam clean as well for any residual stains although not likely

Here's one I recently had with salt stains

4. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

thanks rich, that was really helpful

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Removing (Interior) Road Salt Stains:
    Use a stiff brush to dislodge any loose road salt and then vacuum, spray the area with a carpet cleaner and let it soak in, rinse with plenty of water and repeat until most of the stain has been lifted. Finally clean carpets by spraying the area with a carpet shampoo rinse and then remove with a carpet extractor.

(Dry) Salt is inert but be aware that once you add water ( by meting the snow / ice ) to salt it becomes alkaline (corrosive) take care to dry the affected area thoroughly after the salt has been removed and neutralize it with an mild acid (vinegar) Spray vinegar, agitate, allow to dwell and then use an extractor. Actually, any mildly acidic product should neutralize alkaline salt crystals, hydrochloride etc. Don't forget the metal floor-pan

6. richy

richy Guest

My pleasure..

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Very interesting, Richy. Can you tell us how/why this works? I'm not doubting you, I'm mostly just curious.

And, of course, what one does to make the mats not smell like vinegar anymore... :lol:

8. richy

richy Guest

I originally picked up htat hint from Jon before. The vinegar neutralizes the soap so it doesn't try to attract dirt if you haven't removed it all. I use my steamer as a last step so I don't get any smell...but even having a mild vinegar smell to me would not be bad.

9. Nontoxic

Nontoxic Virgin Detailer

You are correct about the vinegar. I believe lemon juice does the same. I have found that scrubbing the dry salt really well and then vacuum works best for me. Then cleaner followed by steam.

10. richy

richy Guest

Marc..good to see you post!! You're dealing with the same southern Ontario municipal love affair with salting roads that I am!! :)

11. Nontoxic

Nontoxic Virgin Detailer

I like doing those salty crusty interiors. They look worse than they are.

12. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

I found really hot water works best to get salt out. and then just extract the hot water with a shop vac or shampooer.