1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Which one and why? I read on detailinworld that you cannot swap out backing plate for a different size, as it changes its balance and voids out warranty...
    Thanks in advance.

2. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Lot of guys have changed the 6" plate to the 5" plate. Never head of balancing issues.

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have emailed back and forth with Kevin Brown and he stated to me that the 6" and 5" plates are exactly the same in fit and configuration; one is just smaller in diameter than the other. Kevin further stated to me that there are no issues with changing plates and almost half of the Rupes 21 machines he sells are ordered with the 5" plate..

My personal feeling is that of course, it will work just fine. My only concern is that the R21 is a larger footprint and with the longer throw of the R21, it may be more of a challenge to get it closer in tight areas, etc.

. Now, I use Makita 9227C daily, and of course this IS a big, heavy piece of equipment. To get around this concern, a metal extension on the threaded shaft, gives me the ability to get the bigger footprint closer to things and if done carefully, and you can compensate for the longer shaft, this longer shaft placing the backing plate and pad farther away from the big machine works great !

Can't say for sure it will or will not be an issue for me, but certainly compared to a random orbital, the R21 is a bigger, longer machine that has a longer throw.

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Thanks, guys. Rupes 21 it is...Never know that I like it 'till I try it...

5. abscissa

abscissa Virgin Detailer

So does the 21 and the 15 have the same motor in them? What I mean is if I order a 15, and put a 21 backing plate on it, will it be underpowered?

6. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

It won't fit.

7. abscissa

abscissa Virgin Detailer

Oh okay, but you can do the opposite?

8. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

According to the expert on this, Kevin Brown, the different sized backing plate on the R21 will not have a negative effect on the performance of the machine.
    The R21 has a longer throw than the R15, and that longer throw is what helps correct better/faster.

There certainly is nothing wrong to get the R15 which is a smaller footprint and may be all most people will ever need, but if you are doing this for a living and want the best possible result faster, then the R21 is the way to go. He even said to me that he likes to use the 6" pad on the R21 vs the 5.5" pad because he gets a bigger footprint on the paint and therefore corrects more paint faster. Makes perfect sense to me.

Perhaps just evaluate your needs vs wants, the amount of work/play/fun/etc., you are planning on doing long-term, and pick out the machine you feel meets your criteria...

As you read the awesome posts by Phil here who owns this and an awesome shop and store, you will see he uses sometimes 3 different Rupes machines. But he is a very busy, high end Detailer along with all the other stuff he does so well, so he can justify and afford to run all the products and I am sure he needs that versatility too.

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

9. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I had the opportunity to use both the 15 and the 21 during Phil's detail marathon in NoVA months ago. I only used both for a 3-5 hrs, so these are just initial impressions. The 21 will cut a little faster than the 15, but the 15 is still more powerful than the Griots. I bought a 15 because it is butter smooth ... the 21 is smooth, but you can somewhat feel the throw (but it's not harsh like the PC XP or Griots). I chose the 15 because I tend to do cars with a lot of curves and I don't regret my decision. Both are great machines Sergei.

10. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Yes, that will work.