RPD - 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD - ROUGH!!!

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by SilverGTV8, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

It's BIG. It's BLACK. But it ain't no Cadillac.

It's a 2005 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 138k miles, black on grey.

We were contacted by the owner to breath new life into the finish after seeing some of our work on another GMC 2500HD This truck is a beast with a full compliment of Bully Dog tuning components and suspension work to handle the monstrous 4wd launches all that power creates, but it just didn't look the part.

As you will see in the pictures it was in rough shape and has certainly been worked during it's life. This also created a first time event for us... Most extreme compound we have (MenzernaS34A), Pad (Uber Yellow and Orange), and tool combination (Flex 3404), and we had to use it on the first pass on the WHOLE truck. What a workout!!! But all of it was worth it when you step away...

After 2 days and 30 man hours. The results speak for themselves. 180degree turn around from when it rolled into the bay. Use to be a 25ft truck now a 1ft truck. There are a number of RIDs in the paint we couldn't remove without significantly impacting the amount of clear in the area, as you can probably tell from several of the pics below. But we blended them into the surrounding area and they hid well and barely noticeable in almost all lighting conditions, very happy we were able to at a minimum do that. Overall we would give this truck a 92% rating due to the rids but the finish has picked up quite a bit of depth and the shine is superb. So we are smiling as was the owner when he took delivery.

Lots of pics, we hope you enjoy the turnaround and Thanks for viewing!!!

Materials:
    CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
    Dawn dish detergent
    Westley’s Bleach White
    Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
    Adam’s APC
    Mother’s Clay Bar Kit
    Nanoskin
    ONR Clay Bar Dilution
    IPA wipe down Dilution
    Menzerna S34A
    Menzerna PO203
    Menzerna 106FA
    Menzerna Powerlock
    Primia Banana Gloss
    Stoner’s Invisible Glass
    Mequier’s Natural Finish Dressing
    Lexol Leather Cleaner
    Lexol Leather Conditioner
    NXT2 Liquid Wax
    Prima Slick
    CG Xtreme Shine
    CG G6 Dressing
    CG Bare Bones
    No. 7 Chrome Polish
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    FLEX 3403
    Uber 6” Orange
    Uber 5.5" Yellow
    Uber 5.5" Orange
    Uber 5.5” Green
    Uber 5.5” Black
    Swissvax Wheel Brush
    Uber Boar’s head brush
    Uber Wheel Brush
    Swissvax interior brushes
    CG Interior brush
    Uber UFO Red Applicator Pads
    Uber UFO Blue Applicator Pad
    Misc MF Towels
    Shop vac
    Q-tips
    3M Painters Tape

Process
    Exterior: APC lower panels, CG Citrus Wash + Dawn Dish soap w/ Micro Fiber Mitt, dried, taped, claybar & Nanoskin, S34A w/ Orange &Yellow (1 pass) on FLEX, PO203 w/ Orange (1 pass) on PC7424, 106FA w/Green (1 pass) on PC7424, IPA wipe down, Powerlock w/ Black (1hr set-up), Prima Banana Gloss

Wheels: Sonax Full Effect, Westly’s Bleach White, Wheel Brushes, dried, ONR wipe down, NXT w/ hand applicator, tires dressed with CG G6

Interior: Vacuum, Door jams cleaned with ONR and sealed with NXT, hard plastic Mequier’s natural finish wipe down, Leather Lexol Cleaner and Preserve using Red Applicator pads, Glass cleaned with Invisible Glass, carpet staining Adams Carpet cleaner.

Delivery
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Washed and under the lights for closer inspection
    As you go through these you will see often times buried with in the swirls, heavy RIDs. We chased and worked these to our comfort level to keep some finish on the truck. Overall we took 75+% of the defect out only leaving a soft looking defect under certain lighting conditions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Diesel can really damage paint and the owner cleans it up when it does spill, but the result is often this... Although this is the lesser evil of the two!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enough of that, let's see what we can expect!
    These 50/50 shots show the progression from the start to finish of the selected process, S24A. PO203, 106FA with appropriate pad.

Starting...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

S34A....Marred the finish pretty bad
    [​IMG]

PO203...Removed the marring from the S34
    [​IMG]

106FA...Further refined the paint and visually increased the "blackness" of the paint
    [​IMG]

Finished product... Looking good for the process :thumb: Don't mind the dust in the finished areas. Compounds were pretty dusty for some reason on this detail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In-process shots
    [​IMG]

Nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paint on the door handle
    [​IMG]

Not any more!
    [​IMG]

This light looks so much better now...
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

This too!
    Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the customer's requests was to try and get some water stains in the head liner out...
    I said I would try... I pulled out the Adam's Carpet Cleaner... and... BAM! Took them right out. That stuff never ceases to amaze me, hasn't failed me yet!
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Rest of the interior
    Was not in bad shape, just need the mats cleaned real well and a basic wipe down.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's all in the details..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting ready to go back out into the light!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No not really :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finial Shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing!

2. Anthony Onorato

Anthony Onorato Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Amazing correction work! Customer had to be blown away!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

3. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Great work... enjoyed your last GMC write up too!

4. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Awesome job, I'm sure the customer was super thrilled. How can you not be when you detail the key FOB?

5. Anthony Onorato

Anthony Onorato Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Seriously! What a great tip...I'm sure for the few minutes it took you to do that, it bought you a customer for life...as if the correction wasn't good enough already. I never thought of doing the FOB...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I always detail the keyfob..
    Dan F

7. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

My only tip with it is do it away from the vehicle.... or you just unlock lock lock lock unlock unlock alarm lock alarm.... LOL

8. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

On occasion if the customer leaves an Ipod or something in the car I will detail it too, and apply a coat of Powerlock... They love it... Makes it feel so soft and slick and the finger prints go away for a bit.

9. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Great job car looks amazing. I try to go the extra mile to make a customer happy.