1. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Which Rotary would you rather have or prefer and why?

Flex Rotary
    Metabo
    Makita

Thinking about buying one soon and looking for opinions.

Thanks,
    Heath

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Heath you forgot the dewalt and dynabrade.

3. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

4. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Metabo - Its just so easy to use and smooth as butter.

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

I have a Metabo.

Light
    German Engineered
    Reliable
    3 year warranty (nice to have even if it never breaks)
    700RPM lowest speed up to 2200 (rotaries for paint have no business going up to 3K RPM IMHO).

6. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Makita, that 's what I started with

7. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

Metabo, though the Dynabrade looks nice too. Think someone here got one?

D&D perhaps?

Don't recall any review of it though?

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Yep, I have the Dynabrade, thats why I recommended it. Not sure if anyone else on here has it? Prior to the Dynabrade I had the Metabo.

I will tell you this, the Metabo is like a little toy compared to the Dynabrade. Feel free to shoot me a PM for more info on the Dynabrade.

9. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Haven't heard of the Dynabrade till now. I have beein eying the Makita 9227C, maybe one day

10. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Makita all the way!!!!

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I've been using a Makita for , well, a long time and its never let me down. I have been eyeballing a Metabo though.

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I like the Metabo that I have. I just got a hold of the Makita and man it's noticeably heavier than the Metabo. Just remember that there are more vertical panels than there are horizontal panels so the weight does make a difference. :)

13. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Man. It seems like they all have their Pro's and Con's.

Thanks all that replied.
    I'm gonna have to look at the Dynabrade.

14. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Which one have triggers and which one doesnt??

I'm wanting one with a trigger mechanism. I guess i'm just used to my flex d/a.

15. heatgain

heatgain Guest

Makita has a trigger. I like my Makita.

16. IanB

IanB Two Bucket System Washer

I have a flex, and I really like it, but the makita with the 3m backing plate on horizontal panels can't be beat IMO. However, on the vertical panels, lighter is better IMO. Keeping the machine flat on vertical panels is important, and lightness really helps's.

Although the flex, is great it doesn't go down past 1k RPM's, so I would say for soft paint, that the makita is better. However, for audi paint, I think 1k RPMs is barely doing anything. IT is something to consider though.

But thats just me.
    IB

*also, Flex has a trigger*

17. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

For newbies with a rotary I would recommend the Metabo because of the low starting RPM's. When and if I get a rotary, that will be my first one, though it is too bad it does not have a trigger.

18. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Good thread, I'm looking at picking up a rotary in the coming weeks. Where would one buy a Dynabrade, and how much would it cost? I remember seeing pics of it on here, it looked like a solid machine.

The Flex would be ideal for me, trigger and very light weight, however the high starting speed makes it a turn off.

I'll probably end up with a Metabo even though I would rather have a trigger, the light weight appeals to me because I have zero muscle.:shrug: The high price is a turn off, though, considering I can get a Makita for $160 or $170 from Coastal Tool plus shipping.

19. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

I am pretty happy with my milwaukee

20. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Makita - guaranteed to go for 12 hours straight without stopping for a breather

Gets the correction done and is fairly quiet too- them dewalts are too loud. I cant stand them