Rotary. Which one would you get?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by supercharged, Apr 14, 2009.

1. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I might even start thinking about mastering a rotary some time soon... I simply wanna be able to complete a job faster, with a PC it takes forever, however FLEX does a pretty good job...but I still wanna grow...
    Anyway, if you were to get a rotary, what would you get and why? I'm looking at Makita, Flex, Metabo, and Dewalt...I'm thinking these brands are pretty dependable, and I don't care that they might cost a few bucks extra over some other brands... Some of you might have experience with multiple rotaries, what do you like better and why?

TIA.

2. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

I have used the Makita and Dewalt. The weight of the Dewalt is the deal breaker...not a good beginners Rotary. I have had my Makita for a little over a year and have had no issues. However, I want the super light Flex!

3. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

But wait! There is the new Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher coming out soon. Just saw it on AutoGeek under "What's New"

4. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I think it's still less powerful then the Flex and still less powered than a rotary. I would say Makita, it seems well-rounded and reliable, while the Dewalt is heavy, the Metabo has had overheating problems, and the lightweight Flex has lackluster torque for heavy correction.

5. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

+1 for the Makita. Awesome machine. Workhorse, reliable, and the soft start is awesome for preventing sling (when you pull the trigger, is doesn't immediately go full blast, it takes maybe 3/4 second to ramp up to full speed.)

Does the new PC even spin? IIRC, the reason why the Flex is more powerful than the PC is because the PC only oscillates, whereas the Flex 3401 oscillates, but also has a rotary action too (like 900 rpms or something) in addition to the oscillating action. So the rotating action is actually motor driven. Man I'm having trouble explaining it.

6. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I was in a similar quandary, and opted for the Makita to compliment my UDM. Needless to day, I LOVE my Makita!

7. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I love my Metabo. Briefly gave the Hitachi & Makita a dance. But in terms of ergonomics and light weight for a smaller guy like me, I think it's perfect. Next on my list would be the Flex 3403 and if I needed a workhorse to use 8hrs a day, 5 to 6 days a week, it'd be the Makita then Dynabrade.

8. richy

richy Guest

I agonized over which rotary to buy as well. I ended up going with the Dynabrade and I must say that I love it. Having said that, it was only one car I used it on, but it was a funeral coach, so I had many hours of handling it. The weight for me is a non-issue. I was used to it in under a minute and it felt like an old friend...it is a really, really well made machine. Of all the cheap shit that is made in China anymore, this machine demonstrates its quality with its feel. The only beef I had is a min speed of 1000. You have to feather the trigger to play at a lower speed. It is so solid though, that it was not a deal breaker for me.

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

but even if it is as powerful and Flex, I simply don't want the same kind of polisher...

10. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

It's the Makita for me...I like the rpm range from 600 to 3000...you can use it as a DA in a sense at those lower rpm's...It made it easier to learn the rotary because you could bring the rpm's down and practice the tougher, tighter spots...:thumb:

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I currently have the Metabo but intend on purchasing the Makita as my next machine. :)

12. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Forced rotation.

13. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The Dewalt or Dynabrade.

14. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

I had to choose between the Flex and the Makita, at the end of the day I went with the Makita because of the slower minimum speed settings as well as it's touted reliability and durability. The Flex would however be an awesome machine for the vertical bits because of it's lighter weight and smaller size ;)

15. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I love my makita, but the weight is a issue to me in the long run, also had some prb with lower vertical panel and bumper.. Can adding more pressure on the flex rotary compansate for the weight? will it be the same?

16. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

It's funny because once you master a machine it's like an old friend which is why you have some that like the Hitachi, others that like the Dewalt, and others that prefer the Makita...

At the end of the day the big name units are all respectable and it's just a matter of what you are used to. I would on the other hand, beware of units that are prone to overheating

With that said, I LOVE my Makita!

17. THE ONE

THE ONE Birth of a Detailer

makita all day :headbang:

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I'm biased, but it's the Makita for me. Not just because I have one, but because it's tried and true!

19. edwinbong

edwinbong DB Forum Supporter

makita is the way to go!

20. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

makita all day.

although i would like to try out the metabo.