Rotary Buffers and why......

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by triax, Jul 23, 2009.

1. triax

triax Virgin Detailer

Metabo PE12-175 - 6.4 amp - 5#'s - 700-2200 rpm
    Makita 9227-CX3 - 10 amp - 6.6#'s - 600-3000 rpm
    Flex L33403 VRG - 11 amp - 4.85#'s - 1100-3700 rpm

Vote it up and why!!!!!! - :headbang:

2. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Make a poll.

And Makita because it seems to be the best overall, it's what I use.

3. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

FLEX, because I love mine.

4. DanPonjican

DanPonjican Birth of a Detailer

Makita. Smooth, quiet and most reliable.

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

You forgot the Edge rotary.

Me? I'm a Makita guy. It seems just about perfect - one of those tools that makes me smile every time I use it.

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Makita's my fav.

7. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Dynabrade because its better than all of those.

8. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

Makita but wish it weighed less

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

If that isn't the truth.

10. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Makita is my choice because you can run the rpm's down to apply sealants and wax or crank it up to the work horse mode. It's just an all around great machine with great reliability and I really like the color too...:thumb:

11. Jorgen

Jorgen Virgin Detailer

i have a milwaukee machine and its a pain in the ass to work with.
    Don't know if i'm doing anythin wrong but it starts cut an wobble
    when i use it with a buff. :shead: But with wool its great a bit heavy
    but it feels like a reliable machine a well built machine.

12. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Makita as its is the best all around unit .For price,durability,weight and availability

13. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

the dynabrade is actually really reasonably priced, but used makitas are too cheap to pass on for me. i had a hitachi which was very similar

14. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

QFT! :worship2:

15. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I'm very happy with my Makita purchase. Makes me smile every time I use it. :mounty:

16. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

Metabo is what I am getting to back up my Makita 9227
    Metabo's can overheat and replacing brushes and servicing may be needed more often
    Flex - 1100 is too fast to start with IMHO. I start at 600 but sometimes 300 with the makita using the trigger really lightly

17. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Makita FTMFW!

18. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

at 1100 from my experience, it's hard to pick up polish that you laid down on the car too. I like the Makita because it starts at low speed, so as you pick up the polish, it doesn't spit everywhere and make a mess.

19. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I just did a black GMC Sierra extended cab 1 step polish the last 2 days with my Flex 3403, and it was a lifesaver. I've been transitioning from a Flex 3401 to the 3403, and my rear would've been handed me if it weren't for the 3403. I like it because it's nice and light and very maneuverable. It does get pretty hot. The high RPMs used to scare me to be honest with you. I get going a little different than most probably in terms of picking up polish. After the pad is primed, I usually use about 3 pea sizeed dots (on a 5.5" pad) and dot it over the section I'm doing, then I'll feather the trigger a little to get it going, and lock int at 1100. After using it for a little while, you just get used to it. I guess the only downside I see with it is that it does run hot, if you get your hand/fingers on the motor housing, it's like touching a pizza pan coming out of the oven.

20. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

Im guessing you havent used a Milwaukee or dewalt yet. They are both heavier.

Anyways, I have dewalt and after using my friends makita im definitely going to have to make a switch. My main reason is the lower working speed that would really help to refine/jewel/burnish a finish. The soft starting feature is a plus along with the weight to me.

They are all variable speed trigger controlled anyways so it doesnt matter what rpm's their starting speed is. You should be able to pick up polish at any speed as long as you know the technique.

Anybody wanna trade their makita for my dewalt? :D