Rigid WD4070

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Bunky, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Has anyone used the Rigid WD4070 Portable Wet Dry Vac? Is it reasonably quiet? It specs a 5 HP motor. I want to know about vacuuming and blowing capability?

2. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

I have it and like it for it's size. pulls a surprising amount of water out of mats, although...they are usually pretty damp when done. works great for general vacuuming purposes.

I just used the blower yesterday to blow water out of and engine bay with my crevice tool, worked reasonably well.

I'd say it's just as loud as other shop vacs. it's bearable, but certainly not quiet. I choose to wear my radio protective headphones while using the PC and the shop vac...just too tiring on the ears. I would not recommend using it every day without ear protection.

overall, I recommend. it's a great value, and packs a big punch for an OTC product, and for it's size!

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I own one and it's great. It has enough vacuuming power, but I haven't tried using it as a blower. It's really light too ... As far as being quiet, I think the noise is average.

My only complain is that it would be nice to have a way of "locking" the wheels into position whenever I'm vacuuming an interior. I like having wheels, but I don't need them to move all the time.

4. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

same here, I try and wedge the power corder under it so it won't roll into the vehicle on me!

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Jedi Nuba

I have the 4050(the previous model, but with the same specs) and it's great!

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That vacuum makes about 57 inches of lift. Average for a shop vac. There are other vacs out there with more power like the Michaels 315C that makes around 90" of lift but the extra suction comes at a price, around $450. As a comparison, the Mytee Extractor makes around 120" of lift.

7. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

8. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Where did you see the lift spec'ed? The Metro units have 95-in but they are not wet / dry.

I asked about this specific model since it had a handle, more hp, longer cord (20') that the 6 gal models at the expense of capacity. I also have my eye on the detailing kit (better hose, nozzles, etc). My first shop vac was so noisy it was unbearable. My latest 6 gallon is just too cheap (hose not positive locking, latches between head/base not very good, etc). It works but since I need a second one I wanted something different. I really do not need the wet / dry feature but for the money (compared to some 2x priced units), it seems like a better value.

9. 911Fanatic

I emailed Rigid for the specs. I hate it when manufacturers use watts and hp in their advertising as they mean nothing really. Inches of lift is how vacuum power is rated. I know the 315 sounds expensive, but both of mine are around 14 years old. One is still using the original motor and both have the original cotton filter in them. Well worth the money.

10. GDAL

GDAL Guest

There are two kits for the Rigid unit. An OEM one (which is great) and an aftermarket one. If you can only afford one kit go with the aftermarket one that attaches really small tools. I don't think it's a OEM Rigid accessory, but it works with any Rigid unit. HD has it around the vacuum cleaner section. Look for it ... it's not listed on their site.

11. Bunky

Bunky Guest

This is what I saw and was looking at.

http://www.homedepot.com/RIDGID/h_d...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

13. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

GDAl, I bought the kit and it was worth it. it was $50 CDN and cam with a long hose with a swivel end-so that the hose doesn't get tangled up. the carpet and interior brushes are nice to get into the corners under pedals etc. and the crevice tool is worth it's weigh in gold to get between the seat and the sill.

I highly recommend anybody purchase it. you can see it here in this link. it's the lower of the two pictures.

Welcome to RIDGIDParts.com

14. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Well. I purchased the WD4070 today after numerous google searches on comments. I was replacing a flimsy shop vac (2.5 hp / 6 gallon) and was going to use the older one in our other place. I also got the auto detailing kit and the output silencer plus some dust filters.

My initial impression is that it is much better built (plastic fits, etc) than the shop vac. The hose and extensions were nice too plus I liked the longer cord (20 ft).

I immediately hooked it up and tested it. Much to my surprise I did not see much difference between my old unit and the new one in terms of suction. It did seem to have more output on the blower.

Also, the auto kit tools attach using a tapered nozzle and rely on friction to stay connected. One would not "grab" the nozzle yet it did work with the nozzle for the larger vac's (one of two adapters).

I spent some time doing side by side stuff but I may end up doing a couple tests (sucking up kitty litter) to see if there really is much difference. Noise wise it is about the same. I guess I will play with it for a week or more and return it to get the WD1250 which is a more standard size with more performance. Home Depot has a 90 day return policy.

15. 911Fanatic

Picked up the 4070( 99.99 ) and detailing kit (49.99 ) today and will give them a go. Will post my findings.

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

That's disappointing to hear, Bunky. I was hoping to hear good things. I've got a giant ten year old Ridgid that has served me well, but the hose and attachments are all beat to heck. Tears in the hose, one of the attachments cracked when I dropped it on a cold morning, etc. I thought about just replacing all that stuff, but it seemed like I'd be better off buying a whole new vac. The 4070 was at the top of my list.

17. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

krshultz, pick up the auto detailing kit. It fits on any size rigid vac. you'd want it with the 4070 anyways.

I haven't had troubles with the nozzles coming apart. I think it's because I may hold the brush, nozzle and hose all at once. sorry it didn't live up to your expectations, bunky. the 4070 was really the only option for me right now, as needed a vac that would fit into my car.

18. hoppy6698

hoppy6698 Birth of a Detailer

I have the 1250 myself, couldn't pass it up at the $60. Works great and a far cry better than our household vacuum. Might have to get that attachment set for cars though, the standard tools are far too big for most vehicle crevices.

19. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

There was another Ridged that I was eyeing, that looked like a toolbox. Seemed like a really cool form factor, assuming it's powerful enough.

That's not a half bad idea, if I can make it fit. I've actually bought that kit once already, and ended up taking it back. The hose was the wrong size for my vac; it was too small, and there was no adapter in the kit. Could be that the particular kit I got was missing a piece, but I ended up frustrated, and returned the kit.

My Ridgid, which was the largest, most powerful one they made ten years ago, has a hose that is larger than normal, or so it seems. Majestic Solutions actually had a similar kit to the one we're talking about, with that nice orange hose that you can drive over and not damage. It didn't fit either. When I returned it, one of the owners of MS immediately asked me if I had a Ridgid. When I told him I did, he said they ran into this all the time - their kit hooked right up to a Shop-Vac brand and most others, but not a Ridgid.

It still seems strange to me. :shrug:

20. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I got this from Ridgid this am

[FONT=&quot]MODEL NUMBER [/FONT][FONT=&quot]DECIBELS (DB)[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]WATER LIFT (INCH)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]WD4070[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 84[/FONT] db [FONT=&quot]45 inches lift[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]WD1250[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 83[/FONT][FONT=&quot] db 45 inches lift

[/FONT]
    . I am surprised the WD4070/1250 did not have at least 55-in lift and obvious if I did not like WD4070 the 1250 is the same basic performance. I liked the build quality (except for the hose that did not fit) and the kit's main hose is very nice (double walled). I just was disappointed in the performance.

As said above, the kit works on my shop vac too.