Revised polishing process

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by dsms, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

So far my polishing and LSP process has been as follows

After wash and clay-
    SIP
    106ff
    Wipedown
    Z-AIO
    Z2/Z5pro ZFX'd (multiple coats)
    Z-CS cured minimum 1 hours
    Z8

Im thinking that its a bit of a lengthy process for the average non enthusiast customer who is looking for a detail. I feel I could alter it a bit and come out with very similar results. In building a starting price point for advertising I found that $300+,which is what I wanted to charge for the the above paint detail included with interior and trim as well is a big shocker for many customers reguardless of the quality of work being done. I also take into consideration that I am a young guy who they probably dont know. Most people dont care how many steps were used they just want correction and a beautiful finish inside and out. In cutting out the 106 and Z-AIO steps I could save a lot of time polishing and spend more time on the interior(which is where most people spend the majority of their time) So I thought in my initial advertising plan I offer the standard premium detail which has a bit of a shortend paint process and charge a little less money like maybe $250 starting. And later on once I have built up some trust with customers and got my name out there I would introduce a much more in depth paintcare process with quite a few more steps and maybe the use of a higher end nuba in a addition to the standard detail package for those more discerning clients.

Here is my idea of the revised process

SIP or M105 depending on condition
    Menz.PO85rd
    Wipedown
    Z2/Z5pro or Lusso(Lusso would be easier due to not having to cure as long)
    Z8

I feel like for sure I dont need the Z-AIO step prior to Z2 or wax, just a good wipedown after the P085 followed by Z2/Z5 or Lusso. I never used a wax but Lusso really impressed me and for the price it seems amazing. I wonder however if PO85 is enough to clean up after SIP or is 106 and a white pad necessary? I thought I would use 106 after M105 if I did a lot of correction but for most jobs I dont think its a must and I can go straight to PO85 for a light clean up and finishing polish then staright to sealant or wax. What do you guys think of this revised process to charge a little less money and save a bit of time?

2. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Are you using a rotary?

You could always offer a one step polish with 106ff or ZPC if you have some. ZPC if you are using zaino and 106ff if the lusso.

3. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Im using a flex. I dont mind a multi polishing step process, I just want to offer the most complete and professional job to customers and make sure the paint gets all the attention it needs. If I see paint that needs very little work I might just go for the po85 or 106 and then move onto LSP. I keep thinking though that applying multiple coats of Z2 and Z5 is more work than just a applying 2 coats of a nice nuba. So far I am very happy with the zaino sealants though and havent experimented with any wax yet.

4. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

You could always just go with ZAIO by machine, followed by CS then Z8.

Heck I even got 3 months of good beading out of ZAIO on its own. This was on my Legend that sits outside all the time.

Just a few simple steps for clients that don't want to pay for a complete multi-step detail.

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I figured most cars would need some sort of correction, it would be great to see a lot of already clean finishes that just need a good quick polish though. Im waiting on my m105 to get here. I got 2 LC pruple wools comming for serious jobs but I want to experiment with 105 on LC orange pads and see how versatile it really is. If it does work as fast as people say and it does finish as nice as they say it could be a great way to cut down my correction time and cut out the middle step between 105 and finishing also.