Review - Poorboys Leather Stuff

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by domino, Jul 26, 2010.

1. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

Hi guys

Ive been using Poorboys Leather Stuff for a couple months now on black leather and feel its about time i post my feedback

Ive always been a huge fan of Z9 + Z10 on my M3 (white leather). Z10 though on dark leather leaves too much of a glossy look, so on black leather in the past ive swapped out the Z10 for Gliptone Leather Conditioner

Opening the bottle to take a whiff of the Poorboys, i was suprised by the leather smell, just a touch less odour than Z10

According to directions you can use Poorboys to both clean and condition leather using it with different techniques. I have only used it as a conditioner to date

In testing on my GTR, ive been cleaning with Swissvax Leather Cleaner and Z9 using a damp MF, allowing to dry, then rubbing in the Poorboys, including the dash, door trims and a-pillars which are leather wrapped

Initially the leather looks a little oily, but after letting set for around 10 mins, about 90% of that gloss has gone and quick wipeover with a dry MF leaves a truely matt finish - the most matt ive ever seen on black leather

In terms of feel, theres not much difference to be honest, which is to be expected on newer coated leather. The leather smell is much less pronounced inside the car after use compared to sniffing the open bottle, and doesnt seem to linger like the Z10 or Gliptone

Next up i want to try the Prima Nourish to see if it leaves a similar matt finish with a touch stronger leather smell

And here are the results.... note no conditioner used on the steeringwheel

[​IMG]

2. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I bought this after our PM exchange and I was really impressed. I used it on my dad's car after CG's Leather cleaner and the leather looked just perfect!!

3. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

So do you like this better than Z9+Z10 or about the same? I need to get something for my wifes Jetta but all I've got right now is some Lexol which I've had for years.

I'd also be interested to hear your thoughts on Nourish :)

4. domino

i prefer this to Z10 on dark leathers solely for the matt finish it leaves behind

in terms of leather in a bottle smell, it doesnt last inside the car as well as Z10 or Gliptone - after a couple days my "new car smell" overpowered it

5. Mindflux

So do you prefer the leather smell or no? It's starting to sound like you just don't like the poorboys as much as Z10 or Gliptone?

I found the gliptone over at brilexsolutions.com for us US citizens.

6. domino

cheapest way to buy gliptone would be off ebay uk

i really like the poorboys, i wont use Z10 on dark leather again, but i would have liked the leather smell to remain inside the car longer

from the very few pics ive seen online, Prima Nourish appears to leave a similar matt finish - so the test will be whether it leaves behind a stronger leather smell

7. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I have to say, most of the Poorboy's stuff I have tried has been very good. That interior looks great with the contrast of the nice matte leather and satin silver trim. Do you notice that new Nissans have a very strong new car smell? My Z makes the whole garage smell after every drive haha.

8. domino

yes very true

i think its coming from the suede/alcantara seat inserts - i have noticed they give off alot of lint, after a few days my centre console and screen is full of lint

i might need to look into buying a lint brush or sealing the seats with something - i have CG Fabric Guard

9. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I use PB's Leather Stuff now and I like it better than the Four Star I did use.

10. Mindflux

I keep reading that the four star is a real nice leather conditioner, and its' apparently polycharged now. Do you know if yours was Polycharged?

11. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Mine is not Polycharged. I would wonder what real tangible benefit it has. I do not think there is an objective way to measure UV performance and durability for leather protectants/conditioners. (YMMV). It is seems more like marketing...let's add polycharger....